News Forums buy my book Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > Search Engine Optimization

Search Engine Optimization Better rankings in the search engines mean more money in our bank accounts. Share tips and strategies for SEO here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-18-2007, 12:09 PM
the27offsuit.com the27offsuit.com is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 963
Default

Thanks For the Info , Guess ill try it to see if the code comes out correctly with the ? or %3
__________________
Poker Players are your from the USA ,Find out what Poker Rooms Allow US Players , or come by and see what sites are running 2007 Wsop Satellites. Maybe poker is not your game so come see what Casinos Allow US Players. Not a Player but like to talk gambling , then come visit our Poker Forum.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2007, 03:39 PM
PPP PPP is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,341
Default

Very interesting (or at least interesting in reminding why I never want to be a tech guy...)

Redirectmatch permanent makes %3
redirect 301 makes ?

So Graham, are you using "redirect 301" in htaccess and that has been tracking fine for you?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Graham's Avatar
Graham Graham is offline
"Every day I'm hustling"
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 433
Send a message via MSN to Graham
Default

Yes PPP, that is how I am doing it, and haven't noticed any tracking problems (ie. I am still seeing activity on all my affiliate trackers).

Here is an example of what I have in my .htaccess file:

redirect 301 /out/absolute http://www.absolutepoker.com/main.as...7a_23793b_3260

So when I want to put a link to absolute poker, I link it to http://www.bankrollboost.com/out/absolute, which then takes you to my affiliate link.

I am still learning about .htaccess files, but have been using this for at least 4 months now and still haven't seen any problems. If someone has any reasons why this shouldn't work I would love to hear it (i.e. it may not work on certain browsers, etc.), because maybe you are right PPP and I am losing some of my traffic.

Also, I finally got around to editing my robots.txt file to stop crawling the "out" directory to conserve the PR 100%.
__________________
Poker Babes - Poker Videos - Poker News

"Good things come to those who wait, but only the things left over by those who hustle."
- President Abraham Lincoln

Unique advertising opportunity: MillionDollarBankroll
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-18-2007, 04:45 PM
PPP PPP is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,341
Default

It looks like that will work, which is great. The Redirectmatch permanent way of doing the 301s was leading to breaking the "?" in the URLs.

"Also, I finally got around to editing my robots.txt file to stop crawling the "out" directory to conserve the PR 100%."

This does nothing at all to conserve PR. The only reason to do it is so the search engines don't see you linking to some of the spammier cardrooms. It does however lead to you showing URL-only listings for all the URLs like
http://www.bankrollboost.com/out/absolute
which may have some downside (though unlikely)

Doing the robots.txt disallow discards the PR -- that is, you don't send it to the cardroom, but you don't "keep" it yourself. It's just gone into the universe.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-18-2007, 04:54 PM
the27offsuit.com the27offsuit.com is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 963
Default

So to PPP And Graham

When i set up to redirect from cpanel , it asks if i want permanent or temp , i should go with the tempoary ?

As from what i think your saying ppp is that the permanent one messed up the link ,
__________________
Poker Players are your from the USA ,Find out what Poker Rooms Allow US Players , or come by and see what sites are running 2007 Wsop Satellites. Maybe poker is not your game so come see what Casinos Allow US Players. Not a Player but like to talk gambling , then come visit our Poker Forum.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Graham's Avatar
Graham Graham is offline
"Every day I'm hustling"
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 433
Send a message via MSN to Graham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPP
This does nothing at all to conserve PR. The only reason to do it is so the search engines don't see you linking to some of the spammier cardrooms. It does however lead to you showing URL-only listings for all the URLs like
http://www.bankrollboost.com/out/absolute
which may have some downside (though unlikely)

Doing the robots.txt disallow discards the PR -- that is, you don't send it to the cardroom, but you don't "keep" it yourself. It's just gone into the universe.

Thanks for the info . I would rather not give them the PR, then I can out rank them for terms we are competing for (not that I will really make a difference). Hmm, I think I will keep it out for now. I dont see any of those redirect pages ranking on any search results so it shouldn't be a big deal.

As for 27offsuit's question... I am not sure how your CPANEL works and would suggest creating the .htaccess file yourself. Otherwise contact your hosting provider and check with them.
__________________
Poker Babes - Poker Videos - Poker News

"Good things come to those who wait, but only the things left over by those who hustle."
- President Abraham Lincoln

Unique advertising opportunity: MillionDollarBankroll
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-18-2007, 06:03 PM
PPP PPP is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the27offsuit.com
So to PPP And Graham

When i set up to redirect from cpanel , it asks if i want permanent or temp , i should go with the tempoary ?

As from what i think your saying ppp is that the permanent one messed up the link ,

No. Both ways I was describing are "permanent"

301 = permanent
302 = temporary

Doing it via cpanel is risky. You should see the exact text generated in htaccess... for example you may have it set up so a trailing slash appears at the end of the tracking URL. This will usually redirect just fine, but might not be tracked by the cardroom properly. Definitely ask your host about your htaccess setup.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legallity Question aussiepoker General Poker Affiliate Discussion 16 01-14-2007 05:39 PM
Running My first freeroll-Have a question greview New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews 2 08-06-2006 04:09 PM
Question about instant-bankroll type offers on Party domino66 PartyPoker.com - PartyPartners 6 06-28-2006 03:35 PM
Do Party CD's Really Work? mktrout General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 08-25-2005 06:27 PM
Hello // Full Tilt Conversion Question PKing General Poker Affiliate Discussion 2 05-23-2005 04:10 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Casino Affiliate Forum

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0