Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums

Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums (http://www.pokeraffiliateworld.com/forums/)
-   Search Engine Optimization (http://www.pokeraffiliateworld.com/forums/search-engine-optimization/)
-   -   Would This work 301 question (http://www.pokeraffiliateworld.com/forums/search-engine-optimization/8893-would-work-301-question.html)

the27offsuit.com 02-17-2007 04:57 PM

Would This work 301 question
 
need to know if this will work ,

Instead of having all banners and links linked directly to a poker room or casino if i would link them to a page say named xyz poker on my site then have that page 301 to my affiliate link

Would this work , Help or hurt .

i would think this would help as it would cut down on outgoing links , just wondering if the 301 would mess up the aff link and it would not track properly

Graham 02-17-2007 05:13 PM

Yes it will work. That is what I do on my site. I have all links pointing to a page that doesn't exist, which I 301 to my affiliate link. The other benefit of this is if you need to update your affiliate links you can do it simply by changing the code in your .htaccess file. The only downside I see to this, sometimes the redirects can be slow (even on a fast server).

Nick0r 02-17-2007 06:46 PM

301'ing to the affiliate link will simply pass them the link value. May as well just link to them directly if you're going to that.

PPP 02-17-2007 08:46 PM

With some cardrooms the redirect won't track.

Graham 02-17-2007 09:56 PM

Which rooms PPP?

PPP 02-17-2007 10:01 PM

Absolute for one.

(I should have said "may not track" since I suppose there can be a way to do it, but a standard 301 to them breaks the "?" in the URL, and they won't track it.)

Graham 02-17-2007 10:07 PM

I have never had a problem with them. My links are still tracking properly there. I don't see why it would be a problem because the redirect is no different then clicking on a link with an affiliate code in it.

There is a post about this on SEOBook:
http://www.seobook.com/archives/001935.shtml

Graham 02-17-2007 10:09 PM

I just tested Absolute again and it shows the affiliate tracking URL once the Absolute link loads. Do you have further information about this? Can you please explain why you think it won't work?

Here is another link about cloaking affiliate links: http://www.affiliatebeginnersguide.c.../cloaking.html

PPP 02-18-2007 12:09 AM

Where do you have an absolute link that works?

I see your Fulltilt link works, but I get an error because their site recieves the "?" as "%3". Yours is recieved as a "?" though.

Are you redirecting through htaccess or how are you doing it?

Graham 02-18-2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPP
Where do you have an absolute link that works?

I see your Fulltilt link works, but I get an error because their site recieves the "?" as "%3". Yours is recieved as a "?" though.

Are you redirecting through htaccess or how are you doing it?


The absolute link is here:
http://www.bankrollboost.com/lacey-jones.php

Yes, I am redirecting using an .htaccess file.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0