Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Kyle Kyle is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,002
Send a message via AIM to Kyle Send a message via Skype™ to Kyle
Default

The Canadian college experience is far different than it's American counterparts. You can still experience the full Canadian college cultural/social experience even if you don't go to the school.

The amount of involvement and pride at American campuses, as well as the parties, dwarf the experience of Canadian universities. There is just not enough school spirit that i have noticed ... turnouts of only 2000 to our football championship game, etc (out of 75k students and a city of 3 million "supporters"). At least that is true here in the city where most students commute. The real parties are downtown in the club district anyhow.

Now I am sure if you live on campus in some rural town the community would be a lot different, but as you said, it will be high school all over again. The 3 years in difference between drinking ages in Canada/USA is another great reason as to why the parties/social life are very different.

Besides, money is really what is important and if you are already a good affiliate then 4 years of school will only slow you down.
__________________
Affiliate Marketing Blog

Last edited by Kyle : 06-02-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Justin's Avatar
Justin Justin is offline
The up and comer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: C-bus
Posts: 488
Send a message via AIM to Justin
Default

Having just graduated in March, I can say that college was the best time of my life. I really can't imagine where I would be right now if I didn't attend school. I have a few friends from highschool who went straight into working construction after highschool and everytime we hang out now, they are so far behind me when it comes to meeting new people and socializing. Most of them can't even operate like a normal human being when we go to the bars and they see all the hot girls.

While I really didn't learn a ton in college (easy major), the social experience I gained and the friends I made was more than worth it. When I think about me and my buddies tailgating on Saturday mornings before football games... and how we prolly wont be able to all be there together in a year, I realize I wouldn't trade college for a job....ever
__________________
JustinGoff.com


NEW GOAL - $15,000 per month by December 31st
September - $5,200 net income

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-03-2007, 07:21 AM
losercore's Avatar
losercore losercore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mad City USA
Posts: 1,273
Default

Forgove me as I am about to quote Expertadvice4you

Quote:
It occurs to me that if your partnership is not resilient and flexible enough for the two of you to find a constructive work-around....then it is not worth disregarding your education for....and you should go your separate ways.....your partner may leave you....your degree cannot.
I started thinking the same thing as I read your second post about having to choose.

It's like if a girl gives you an ultimatum to marry her or leave her. I'm the type to just leave her.

A degree is worth way more than you will ever know.

It sounded like you only have one year left. Is that correct? By all means don't waste it now. Just go for it.
__________________
"Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished. "
But while playing online poker at Full Tilt Poker I use a Full Tilt Bonus Code to get a sign up deposit bonus. Duh!

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-03-2007, 08:54 AM
themike537's Avatar
themike537 themike537 is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 187
Default

I'm graduating in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the advice everyone, at this point I'm leaning towards going to college. I'll let you know how everything works out.
__________________
Get the top PKR Bonus Code for PKR Poker - the latest advancement in 3D poker!

PokerAffiliateLife.com - Your free poker affiliate guide.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-03-2007, 10:51 AM
xpertadvice4u xpertadvice4u is offline
Longest Poster Ever
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 445
Default Good taste in quotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by losercore View Post
Forgove me as I am about to quote Expertadvice4you
Quote:
It occurs to me that if your partnership is not resilient and flexible enough for the two of you to find a constructive work-around....then it is not worth disregarding your education for....and you should go your separate ways.....your partner may leave you....your degree cannot.




I started thinking the same thing as I read your second post about having to choose.

It's like if a girl gives you an ultimatum to marry her or leave her. I'm the type to just leave her.

A degree is worth way more than you will ever know.

It sounded like you only have one year left. Is that correct? By all means don't waste it now. Just go for it.

I couldn't have said it better myself!
__________________
Xpertadvice4u
(MYOB&STFOM)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-03-2007, 10:58 AM
PokerProp PokerProp is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 632
Default

I actually was not going to respond to this post because I thought I figured I would just rant in it, but here is my toned down response.

I started college days before my 16th Birthday. Maybe I was to young for it, but after 5 years of taking 7 to 8 courses per semester and getting almost as many credits as most doctors I can say on my end it was a COMPLETE waste of time.
Yes I picked up some ideas.. I pick up ideas watching movies and reading books just the same.
Quite a bit that I learned I no longer agree with or believe to be fact (this is the part I could rant a lot about but won't).

I've learned a ton more outside of school then I ever will in school.

2 reasons to go to college:
#1) To have a badge you can waive around and look good called a degree, it will make you look cooler and many will perceive you to be smarter.
#2) Because you don't want to let go of high school yet and someone is willing to pay for you to go to college.

Not on the list is education.

As Will said in Good Will Hunting: "you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on an education you coulda' picked up for a dollar fifty in late charges at the Public Library."

As far as the partnership goes, just restructure it so the working party is fairly compensated for his work and eventually both get to the point where you "work on the business" rather than "work in the business".
__________________
  • Add your listing for free to PR5 Poker Directory
  • Get up to 165% Rakeback as a poker prop player
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is online now
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,956
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

This is quite an interesting thread. If we had a hall of fame for great threads, this would probably be in it. I imagine this is a topic that interests many of our younger affiliates, and most have just never posted it.

TheMike, here's a question for you. In a perfect world, where do you see yourself in 10 years? For example, CEO of a large company, running your own business, etc.
__________________
My Personal Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-06-2007, 02:37 AM
TheDean TheDean is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16
Default

Do both. I know several affiliates who are/were making 6 and even 7 figures per year while going to school full time.

Remember that nobody gives a crap about your GPA after college, unless you are planning to go to grad school. Having a C average degree and the college experience is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than not having gone at all.

You can easily work 30 hours a week on average while going to school. Just have to learn to manage your time effectively, which whether you pursue affiliate marketing or not, is one of the most important skills you should be learning in college anyway
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-07-2007, 03:48 PM
RichTheJerk RichTheJerk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 41
Default Why The Comprimise?

The way I see it, why comprimise? You can easily do both at the same time...

Many college students go work to keep their money coming in. Your work is in your websites and affiliate promoting.

A great thing about this business is that it can be worked from ANYWHERE! In your college dorm is a great opportunity to even expand it even further.

Apparantly you have already made somewhat of a decent living to where you can get a laptop (if you don't have one already) and take it to your dorm. You can have your internet connection come in to the dorm. You can help run your business there. I am assuming that you are going "away" to college.

Not only that, but the college campus is a great place to attract new customers. They keep coming back year after year, there are new faces every semester, and the campuses are loaded with degenerate gamblers right outta high school.

There is no need to split your profits even further, because you can do the work. How many hours a day do you honestly put in now? Is it going to decrease signifigantly? If so, then your partner should get a larger share, but if not, leave it the way it is.

Go to school, work in your allotted time, keep the money rollin' in, keep the profits rollin' in, get your degree... buy an island.

My 2 cents.
__________________
The Gambling Insider's
Sit-N-Go Shark
Webmasters Can Make Money!

Need Another Income to Supplement Your Poker Affilate Earnings? Check out this Program! Huge CTR and Sales Ratios, Along with Generous Commissions!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Vrindavan Vrindavan is offline
sunsss.com
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Internet
Posts: 90
Send a message via MSN to Vrindavan Send a message via Skype™ to Vrindavan
Default

>>dorm/share room

beware of computer theft or data lost
__________________
http://sunsss.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canadians?? poker69 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 13 10-04-2006 09:33 PM
Online Gambling Hedges Its U.S. Bets Stephen General Poker Affiliate Discussion 0 08-23-2006 03:02 AM
An article on the business of online poker Jeremy General Poker Affiliate Discussion 2 02-01-2006 07:15 AM
Writers Wanted adioking The Poker Affiliate Exchange 7 01-20-2006 03:19 PM
Linker Tracker Problem mitchtam General Poker Affiliate Discussion 9 03-26-2005 10:18 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0