Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:03 PM
themike537's Avatar
themike537 themike537 is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 249
Default College or Online Business

I'm in a real predicament here, and am having so much trouble deciding what to do. Here's my situation, and I'd appreciate you reading through it and giving me some advice.

In the last year my partner (boarderman23) and I have built up a successful poker affiliate business. He's a year ahead of me and has left college, and I'm deciding if I want to go to college or not. We've built up our business without putting much work in, basically like a part time job, because we both have been in school.

Now that he's left school he'll be working full time in our office, and I'm having a horrible time deciding if I want to go to college or not. I know that if we are both working full time on our projects I'll easily be making the kind of money I'm looking for, and more.

However, I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice the college experience. Not so much the learning aspect but the cultural and social experience.

If I go I'm not sure what will happen with our partnership, and that worries me because it's a great one. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this situation or advice for me?

Thanks for your time and your thoughts.
__________________
PokerAffiliateLife.com - Your free poker affiliate guide.

USAPokerLife.com - The latest US poker news
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Randy Randy is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,530
Default

Go to college and continue to work on your business part time. There are many advantages to having a liberal arts education beyond just being able to make money.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:20 PM
themike537's Avatar
themike537 themike537 is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 249
Default

Well the only problem with that is my partner will be putting in full time hours, so he will feel like he's doing all the work.

As I'm seeing it right now the only options are to either go and somehow split apart, or to stay and remain partners.
__________________
PokerAffiliateLife.com - Your free poker affiliate guide.

USAPokerLife.com - The latest US poker news
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:26 PM
RCNastermind RCNastermind is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by themike537 View Post
Well the only problem with that is my partner will be putting in full time hours, so he will feel like he's doing all the work.

As I'm seeing it right now the only options are to either go and somehow split apart, or to stay and remain partners.
You could always split the profit based on the time worked. I think if you guys discuss it you could come up with a fair solution that would allow you to do both.
__________________
Poker Dynasty: Poker Articles and Poker Videos

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:29 PM
gooderpoker gooderpoker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 164
Default

Yes GO TO SCHOOL!!

and I also like the idea maybe split the money more with your partner 60-40 him or 65-35 him....
__________________
Poker Forum
Canadian Poker Bonus
Poker Bonus
No Deposit Poker
online rap radio
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:33 PM
PartyForFree PartyForFree is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 100
Default

My years in University were some of the best of my life. Trust me...you don't want to miss it.

I'd say work part time and get your degree.

It's not like there aren't any poker players on campus either...
__________________
New project to be announced shortly...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:36 PM
ThePokerBank's Avatar
ThePokerBank ThePokerBank is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 362
Default

Seriously, I would suggest college. You can still work part-time and have time to study. You wouldn't want to miss the college experience, you have got the rest of your life to work.
__________________
Free Poker Content for your site/blog
No Limit Texas Holdem Strategy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Aidan's Avatar
Aidan Aidan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 289
Default

I kinda have to disagree here.

I would only go to College if you know exactly what you want to do and have a good idea of what your gained knowledge and education will do for you. (Although, if you have a lot of money laying around, College might be of interest to you, since you don't have to worry about financial burdens)

I also thought my college years were overrated and found it quite annoying. It seemed like a bunch of kids that just turned legal age and found Daddy's liquor cabinet and did dumb shit. Wasn't that what we were suppose to do in High School? Then again maybe it's different here with legal age being so low.

Basically, what I saying, don't rush into secondary education unless you have a good understanding of what you would like to achieve. Don't just go for the hell of it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 PM
kaus kaus is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ont, Canada
Posts: 1,577
Send a message via AIM to kaus Send a message via MSN to kaus Send a message via Yahoo to kaus Send a message via Skype™ to kaus
Default

Speaking from someone who did not have the oppurtunity to go you will kick yourself in teh ass. I wish I had for both social and educational purposes. But I became a statistic of teenage pregnancy. My daughter was born just as I turned 19. Even now I still think what if, and curiosity still gets to me as what it would have been like where I would be now and all that.

Not to mention that I think you need something more than just this to fall back on. You can't rely on one source to be your entire career. Your buisness is going well but what if down the road tables turn and you don't have the credentials you need to pursue something just as good financially?

I am a really strong supporter of education first. I am now 27 and my kids range from 9 to 2 1/2. The youngest child will be in school for jk in a little over a year. When this happens I plan to make good use of it and go back myself.

Easily you can come up with some kind of mutual decsion as to what teh work loads will be. If your partner feels that what you have been doing thus far is satisfactory and you too feel that it's not overwhelming with your schooling than come up with a plan to commit to that.
__________________
Hit my first goal ....now just need to push it a little bit further

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-01-2007, 07:04 PM
xpertadvice4u xpertadvice4u is offline
Longest Poster Ever
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 456
Default xpertadvice4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
I kinda have to disagree here.

I would only go to College if you know exactly what you want to do and have a good idea of what your gained knowledge and education will do for you.
Most students do not complete a degree in the same area they thought they would when they signed up....unless they are going to highly technical/specified programs like medical nucleoradiology or something.
It is normal to change majors several times.

Students change and grow physically, mentally, and socially...there are often changes that could not be predicted.....and sometimes you do not realize what you learned in college until years after you get out.

Quote:
Daddy's liquor cabinet and did dumb shit. Wasn't that what we were suppose to do in High School? Then again maybe it's different here with legal age being so low.
Yeah, well, Aiden lives where the legal drinking age is only 18 years of age...so what do you expect? Plus, Albertans are famous for "dumb shit" anyways....they voted for Ralph Klein repeatedly and traded Wayne Gretzky ;-)

Quote:
Basically, what I saying, don't rush into secondary education unless you have a good understanding of what you would like to achieve. Don't just go for the hell of it.
One should never incur that kind of debt "just for the hell of it," true.
And one should be committed to not wasting the time....or your Professors'.

If you are not going to go in order to genuinely attempt to expand your consciousness, then I suggest going to Africa or India instead. ;-)

But, seriously....

Once you have the degree, and the insights acquired during it, nobody can take that away from you...except via lobotomy.

But...school will still be there in 5 years!

It is hard to juggle both.

It occurs to me that if your partnership is not resilient and flexible enough for the two of you to find a constructive work-around....then it is not worth disregarding your education for....and you should go your separate ways.....your partner may leave you....your degree cannot.
__________________
Xpertadvice4u
(MYOB&STFOM)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canadians?? poker69 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 13 10-04-2006 10:33 PM
Online Gambling Hedges Its U.S. Bets Stephen General Poker Affiliate Discussion 0 08-23-2006 04:02 AM
An article on the business of online poker Jeremy General Poker Affiliate Discussion 2 02-01-2006 08:15 AM
Writers Wanted adioking The Poker Affiliate Exchange 7 01-20-2006 04:19 PM
Linker Tracker Problem mitchtam General Poker Affiliate Discussion 9 03-26-2005 11:18 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0