Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is online now
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,237
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default My thoughts on PartyGaming pulling out of the U.S.

I wrote a new article with my thoughts on this, have a read and let's discuss............

PartyGaming pulling out of the U.S. Market
__________________
My Poker Affiliate Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."

Last edited by Jeremy : 10-18-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-18-2006, 12:22 PM
gPowell's Avatar
gPowell gPowell is offline
Affiliate Managers
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Orange County
Posts: 439
Send a message via MSN to gPowell Send a message via Yahoo to gPowell Send a message via Skype™ to gPowell
Default

Good read Jeremy. I also think Party will keep a close eye on the market and move in accordance with their large investor’s best interest in mind. Many in the industry have debated on the 'skill gaming' breakdown and all the talks on Sports Wagering vs. Poker in the Wire Act, etc.

I personally believe that Sen. Frist set out to make all forms of online gambling illegal and now its up to the courts to determine the 'fine line' between skill gaming and illegal gaming. Party surely knew that if the axe ever fell on a poker company to be made example of it would be them first.

Bottom Line: If PartyGaming was the first poker company to be made an example of by the US government (think Bet on Sports) then the financial impact would have been more devastating than releasing a joint statement that they were pulling out of the US market on their own judgment with a clear plan of action in mind.
__________________
Greg's Poker Affiliate Marketing Blog
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-18-2006, 01:29 PM
PokerProp PokerProp is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 704
Default

Great article!
I have a question: It has been my understanding for some time (don't remember where It came from) that the lace>USlace> could not make it illegal for players to use foreign gaming sites if they have their own sites which are legal to use. Is this information incorrect?
__________________
80% WPX Rakeback - Use Bonus Code WPX80
  • Add your listing for free to our Poker Directory
  • Get up to 165% Rakeback as a poker prop player
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-18-2006, 03:32 PM
ResIpsa ResIpsa is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 163
Default

On the other hand, Party looks ripe for an LBO. It generates massive amounts of cash and has a severely depressed stock price, which are usually the key ingredients for a successful LBO. Once private, it would then be not be hindered by the regulations affecting exchange traded companies and would be free to act in the US market again.

I think Jeremy's strategy makes sense if you think things can happen quickly, but I think there is a short time limit for how long Party can sit on the sidelines and not become irrelevant. If they try to reenter the market 2 years from now, will their brand name matter anymore? I wouldn't think so......

It's a tough call, but if I was an insider at Party, I would be trying to get a management buyout group together and roll the dice.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Flopster Flopster is offline
Promoting since 2004
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 321
Default

quick editing note...

I think you ment to include the world " be " in this line...

Could PartyGaming (PRTY.L) really be done in the U.S.-- My Thoughts


Interesting article and you made some good points. Maybe someone bites your plug and brings you on as a lobbyist.

I do wonder about the market share now. Before we saw Party with a monster of american players. But there were many other sites with a lot of US players as well.

The shift to only a couple of sites offering real money (ie. FTP and Stars etc.) to US players could bring an even larger dominance by just 2 sites. These 2 sites for example could grab a larger share each than Party did. They could scoop up all the players (or a good amount of them) from the many sites that have now bailed on the US market.

For this reason, I think it is possible that Party may not return to dominance. Jeremy does raise some interesting thoughts. Time will tell where all this leads. Hopefully somewhere good for all of us.
__________________
A rolling stone gathers no moss.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is online now
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,237
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

Thanks for the heads up and editing note, got that changed. Yea these again were just my thoughts and what I would be looking to do if I was on the board at PartyGaming. Although the LBO idea is not far fetched either. Good point ResI.

I think the thing many people are overlooking is that even though in the interim Stars, Fulltilt, Bodog and a host of others are accepting players and growing the revenues exponentially, this doesn't mean they won't see any problems in the coming 270 days

The real fallout will happen if the U.S. or the U.S. banks decide to do something about Neteller. Don't fool yourself either, this would not be hard to do. Although yes there will ALWAYS be ways around it, many U.S. residents will not hassle with online gambling for a while if Neteller goes away.

Just cause Neteller says "business as usual" doesn't mean the banks won't do their research and realize Neteller is the primary funding unit for online gaming and restrict transactions.

I think as an industry we need to be looking closer into working with the U.S. instead of ways to beat the system or get around this bul**** law. Senator Frist or any corrupt senator can say this had to do with moral values or ethics, but we all know it has nothing to do with that and everything to do with $$$$. Plain and simple, as an industry we are not going to beat the U.S. at their own game. We need to find a win/win solution that makes the industry as well as the dipshits in congress happy.

As I said in my article we all keep talking about regulation but no one is yet to lay out a clear cut plan as to how exactly it would work. Because one thing is certain, our politicians surely are not going to do it, they are too busy arguing amongst eachother and name calling to get anything on this scale accomplished. Collectively a corporation like Harrahs and PartyGaming with the support of a few legislators could make this happen.
__________________
My Poker Affiliate Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-18-2006, 04:57 PM
checkingout checkingout is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 397
Default

My own thoughts are as followed : I think (if party is smart) they are taking a substantial hit now and are working on buying out the float and making an offer for the company. They can (they might need an investor group) become private again and at a fairly cheap price now. Whatever the case may be, I would tend to think they are talking about something that will occur within the next two weeks. They can not afford to sit idly by while their playerbase move on to new sites.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-18-2006, 05:30 PM
richardb richardb is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 603
Default

PartyGaming is having a conference call on Friday. I am sure they will be discussing some preliminary numbers on how big of a hit they have taken.
http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...+RNS&type=qcna
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
PokerProp PokerProp is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 704
Default

Again I see the HUGE hurdle with regulation being that if online poker is legalized in the US and regulated it is fair game. I don't believe it is possible for the US to say residents can play in "our" sponsored/regulated online rooms and can not play on others. This would be an open shut case as it would clearly be violating free trade.
__________________
80% WPX Rakeback - Use Bonus Code WPX80
  • Add your listing for free to our Poker Directory
  • Get up to 165% Rakeback as a poker prop player
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-18-2006, 05:38 PM
richardb richardb is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerProp
Again I see the HUGE hurdle with regulation being that if online poker is legalized in the US and regulated it is fair game. I don't believe it is possible for the US to say residents can play in "our" sponsored/regulated online rooms and can not play on others. This would be an open shut case as it would clearly be violating free trade.
Since when does the USA care about free trade? They already ignored the WTO ruling.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on URL Typos... mftpg General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 02-06-2007 03:51 PM
1-19-07 thoughts, after a lot of time on the phone. PokerProp General Poker Affiliate Discussion 3 01-20-2007 10:29 AM
EmpireOnline's sale to PartyGaming DirtyJohn General Poker Affiliate Discussion 0 12-28-2006 03:26 AM
Thoughts on sites still open hoursurfing General Poker Affiliate Discussion 8 10-24-2006 04:40 PM
PartyGaming says to trump forecasts MilanFlyer PartyPoker.com - PartyPartners 10 12-09-2005 11:27 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0