Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Spam Kill
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 PM
hoursurfing's Avatar
hoursurfing hoursurfing is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,142
Default Thoughts on sites still open

What are you guys thoughts on the sites that are still open. Since they decided they will stay open during this time what would make them shut down ever? It doesn't seem like the US government has the power to close them down for taking US bets.

People are scared about deposit options like Neteller closing down (which they will) but I just tried Western Union and it works great. From what I understand that will always be available.

So is the only thing that could stop US players from playing is some sort of IP blocker being put into place?

p.s. I know nothing about laws so any thoughts are welcome on this
Reply With Quote
  #2   Spam Kill
Old 10-23-2006, 10:39 PM
TheSpider TheSpider is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Default

I am praying that when the republicans loose the house and senate perhaps the dem's will try to find some way to get a pro online gambling bill passed...ort perhaps we will have to wait til we get another presedent. either way im sure the market will open back up to americans.....atleast im hoping...
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spam Kill
Old 10-23-2006, 11:22 PM
hoursurfing's Avatar
hoursurfing hoursurfing is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,142
Default

But even if that doesnt happen what is the threat to the sites that are still open?

I can only think of ISP's blocking our access because Western Union seems to solve the deposit problem.
Reply With Quote
  #4   Spam Kill
Old 10-24-2006, 12:40 AM
stillshadow stillshadow is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 580
Default

It's funny - I've had to use Western Union for a couple of things lately and their website has a little disclaimer about, "You cannot use this service to fund illegal online gambling." However, this is easily ignored and WU probably could care less. It doesn't seem like they actually block payments to sites, so that is still definitely an option. The fees are fairly high (close to 10% on larger amounts) but that would be a small price to pay if it was the only service left.

Or how about checks or money orders? Banks have publicly stated that they aren't about to monitor checks as that would bring the entire industry to its knees. The only trick will be to give players an incentive to click our links and set up an account BEFORE they send in the checks.
Reply With Quote
  #5   Spam Kill
Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 AM
CAZ's Avatar
CAZ CAZ is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoursurfing
But even if that doesnt happen what is the threat to the sites that are still open?

I can only think of ISP's blocking our access because Western Union seems to solve the deposit problem.
ISP blocking access is what we have to worry about.

I am surprised that Western Union is still working.
__________________
RakeKiller... its your money, get some back
Poker Rakeback Calculator
Are YOU a player?
Reply With Quote
  #6   Spam Kill
Old 10-24-2006, 07:42 AM
SunPoker.com's Avatar
SunPoker.com SunPoker.com is offline
Affiliate Managers
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 483
Default

There has been some analysis on the new law and the potential for ISP's to be blocked but I just don't see it happening. To my understanding the new bill has to do with banking and the financial institutions, not the ISP's. In any event, I am not an expert and at this point anything could happen.

Mark
__________________
SunPoker.com - $10K New Player Freerolls Monthly
Focalclick Affiliate Program
Reply With Quote
  #7   Spam Kill
Old 10-24-2006, 10:30 AM
losercore losercore is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mad City USA
Posts: 1,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunPoker.com
There has been some analysis on the new law and the potential for ISP's to be blocked but I just don't see it happening. To my understanding the new bill has to do with banking and the financial institutions, not the ISP's. In any event, I am not an expert and at this point anything could happen.

Mark
I have to agree that I have not seen anything in the bill to block users from accessing the sites. they would need to pass more legislation for this.

I hope at least
__________________
"Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished. "
"You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan over here? "
Reply With Quote
  #8   Spam Kill
Old 10-24-2006, 02:08 PM
hoursurfing's Avatar
hoursurfing hoursurfing is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillshadow
The fees are fairly high (close to 10% on larger amounts) but that would be a small price to pay if it was the only service left.
Yeah the fees are pretty bad. To try it out I put in $50 bucks (the min) and they charged $20 in fees.
Reply With Quote
  #9   Spam Kill
Old 10-24-2006, 02:40 PM
losercore losercore is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mad City USA
Posts: 1,023
Default

Why doesn't a company called "poker union" just do the same thing as western union but charge less. Also they may be able to have no charge and charge the poker rooms for allowing them. If they are the only resource then poker rooms will pay.
__________________
"Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished. "
"You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan over here? "
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Poker / Gambling / Casino sites vxp22 The Poker Affiliate Exchange 2 02-10-2007 10:34 AM
As a newbie: build several sites or go with one large one? MasteryOfPoker General Poker Affiliate Discussion 7 01-25-2007 09:41 PM
1-19-07 thoughts, after a lot of time on the phone. PokerProp General Poker Affiliate Discussion 3 01-20-2007 08:29 AM
Sites that use £ versus $ - Thoughts? Jeremy General Poker Affiliate Discussion 2 06-30-2006 12:08 PM
Content Farms vs. Idea Sites Brandon General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 06-11-2006 03:18 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0