Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Dan Burns Dan Burns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6
Default My newspaper column

Hello everyone,
I write an occasional column for several newspapers in northern New Jersey and my latest one, on the HR-4411 internet gambling bill, is coming out today (Thursday). I also posted it on my website at www.satellitewinner.com/articles/internetban.html . I was hoping some of you webmasters out there would see this fit to run this column on your site. I will copy and past the text below for you to put up if you are interested. I retain the rights to the piece, by the way, not the newspaper company, so you will have no trouble there.
I think we need to fight this ban tooth and nail if we want to remain in the land of the free (not the land of the "free"), so we should be getting the word out to our players to call their senators. Assure them that it doesn't take long and you will not be asked detailed questions. All you have to do is say you oppose it and maybe give a very brief reason. Anyway, I hope some of you see it fit to use or decide to write one yourselves. The text to use is below. Thanks. -Dan

A Ban on Gambling is a Ban on Freedom



by Dan Burns

The recent actions of the U.S. House of Representatives have convinced me that 317 of our congressmen need a refresher course in civics.


Mr. and Mrs. American politician, your first job as legislators is to protect the rights of American citizens. Your second job is to make laws that help run the country. Once again, protection of rights comes first, all other business comes second.

The problem — as illustrated by the House passing HR-4411 on July 10 by a vote of 317 to 93 — is the typical American politician considers safety, social order and many other factors to be more important than their constituents’ civil liberties. Our liberty has declined in status from the supreme ideal this nation was founded on to something that is now a secondary consideration.

HR-4411, known as the Unlawful Internet Gambling Act, aims to block American citizens’ access to certain online gambling Web sites. Access to online poker rooms and casinos would be restricted, and those sites would be unable to receive payments from U.S. banks and credit card companies. Online wagering on horse races, fantasy sports and certain state-run lotteries would not be affected.

The bill is sponsored by Congressmen Robert Goodlatte, R-Virginia, and Jim Leach, R-Iowa. They claim Internet betting can be so addictive that people can lose their life savings making wagers online. They also claim it is too easy for minors to make bets on the Internet.

Those points are well-taken and should be considered by parents everywhere, but they’re not sufficient evidence to ban online casinos.
You don’t ban something 99 percent of people enjoy because 1 percent of the people who use it have a problem with it. That’s not democracy, is it? Prohibition of alcohol didn’t work. Burning books didn’t work. Banning online gambling is not going to work.

And are we to believe all of the bad things legislators point out about online gambling – the addiction, the handful of people who allegedly launder money through online casinos, etc. – don’t apply to online horse wagering? Most of the people I know who make bets on horse races online (which they will never get a chance to even see, by the way) are more compulsive than the dozens of people I know who like to play a little $2/$4 hold’em before they go to bed.

This idea of legislating morality has got to stop. Americans might look to the government to protect them from foreign invaders, but they certainly don’t need the government to protect them from themselves. What we do in our own home, with our own money, in our own free time is our business and nobody else’s.

When I was learning the ins and outs of America’s two-party system in high school, I learned the Republican Party advocated a “hands off” approach to governance and was in favor of small government. What has happened to them? Now they feel they have to pass laws protecting us from ourselves and deciding how we can spend our money.

If you want to protect me, please begin by protecting my civil liberties. Once you’re sure they are secure, then by all means, legislate away.

As you might have guessed by now, I’m an avid Internet poker player. I am one of thousands of American residents who treat online poker as a part-time job. Any attempt to ban online poker would rob me and my colleagues of something our founding fathers called an “unalienable right” endowed by our creator, which is the pursuit of happiness. Indeed, the financial plans of many young Americans rely on their access to online poker in the next few decades.

I know some of you might be saying, “You’ve got to be kidding me. Your financial goals rely on poker?” Well, they do.

Imagine being a talented rock musician whose band is about to make it big when your government decides to outlaw rock music. Rock music gets people too excited, the government reasons. Studies have shown many violent crimes occur right after rock concerts, and teenagers who take drugs like to listen to rock music while they’re getting high. Some people, including men and women with families, spend hundreds of dollars a month on rock concerts and albums, they say. That’s money that could be spent on productive things.

This fictional government makes a good case. I guess we should outlaw rock music. No fame and fortune for you.

There is a negative side to every creature, commodity and concept in the world. It’s very easy to make a convincing case to ban anything if you choose to focus on the horror stories. Things such as guns and alcohol, for example, destroy thousands of lives more than online gambling every year, yet they remain perfectly legal.

Banning online gambling is not the answer to solving the problems that arise from it, but neither is leaving things the way they are.

The United States should pass legislation legalizing online gambling, but requiring operators to set up an office within the country. Then regulate the industry and force the owners to pay taxes, taxes, taxes and more taxes. Tax the hell out of them. They’ll pay it, because legal status and an image of legitimacy will be good for business.

This issue is in the Senate’s hands now. Senators everywhere, particularly my senators, Sen. Robert Menendez, D-NJ, and Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-NJ, I encourage you to speak out against this bill on the Senate floor. My congressman Mike Ferguson, R-NJ, did not agree with me, but I’m hoping you will.

If you decide to vote in favor of the Senate’s version of HR-4411, then please do me one favor. Attach an amendment to the bill calling for the discontinuation of “the land of the free” as one of our country’s mottos, because that phrase would no longer be applicable.

Dan Burns is the co-founder of Satellitewinner.com, a website dedicated to strategy for www.satellitewinner.com. He can be reached at .

Last edited by Jeremy : 07-21-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Dragonfly-CA Dragonfly-CA is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16
Default

Hi Dan,

Good, plain, simple and well spoken article for the lay person. Thanks for writing and thanks for sharing.

I for one forwarded your article (along with your credit) to about 10-15 of my local media outlets as a via the Poker Players Alliance nifty little email tool.

http://capwiz.com/pokerplayersalliance/dbq/media/

I sure hope that was OK - and if so, I would urge others to do so as well. Media outlets are always on the lookout for hot tempered stories and this should be one of them.

This matter (of banning anything on the internet) really, really affects more than just the short term poker issue. It is fudamentally a restriction of freedoms. What's to stop our goverment from turning our country into another form of China? This would be one of the first steps.

Keep the internet FREE! Better yet, Keep America FREE!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Dan Burns Dan Burns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks Dragonfly. That's exactly what we need to do. There's so many misconceptions about online poker out there (like Rep. Leach saying most poker sites are owned by "mafia types"). We have to get the word out that the very freedom we enjoy in the United States is at stake, as you said yourself. Let's all fight the good fight, before it's too late. -Dan
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2006, 04:52 AM
absentx absentx is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 486
Default

yep, great article.

I dont think it will get to the senate this year.

If it does, It may not even pass.

Cross your fingers, call your senators, and hope for the best.

Nice write up though, good stuff.
__________________
Poker Rakeback
Come see Rakeshark completely redesigned, it's pretty badass
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is offline
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,257
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

Hey Dan,

This is the best written article I have read thus far in respect to the hypocrisy that is taking place in the U.S. regarding online poker. I have published this at PAW and I will be forwarding your article to my senators as well as everyone I know.

I encourage all my fellow poker affiliates to forward this article on as well.

A Ban on Internet Gambling is a Ban on U.S. Freedom

I do not consider myself a professional poker player nor will I ever rely on poker income to pay my bills. However I am a full time poker affiliate, and like many of you, I rely on this industry to provide for my family. It's comical to me that I could be promoting internet porn fetishes to pedophiles, and this would be legally acceptable by our government. Instead I choose to market one of americas favorite past times, and I am looking at the potential of being labeled a criminal.
__________________
My Poker Affiliate Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."

Last edited by Jeremy : 07-21-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newspaper Ads dividend Offline Poker Affiliate Promotions 6 12-06-2007 02:59 AM
Noble link causes HUGE validation errors CAZ General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 09-06-2005 05:02 PM
Newspaper Route PeeWee General Poker Affiliate Discussion 20 07-11-2005 07:42 PM
Newspaper Ads gPowell General Poker Affiliate Discussion 26 06-07-2005 05:32 PM
Newspaper Advertising FeeRan General Poker Affiliate Discussion 4 03-07-2005 08:50 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0