| New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews This is the place for new affiliates to ask the vetrans general questions and answers |
 12-26-2005, 07:43 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 86
|
|

Here are the areas I'm currently working on my new site. I'm quite pleased with my current progress. Indexed in 2 days, and ranked #1 on a few keyword searches on various engines.
2006 WSOP Satellites
1. More content and finishing up my keyword optimization.
2. Getting quality reciprocal links.
3. Adding more media to the 2005 and 2006 WSOP sections. I created that flash viewer on the 2005 page. Do you guys think I should have that on a page on its own; such as a link saying, "Click here for the 2005 WSOP Championship photographs." or just have it directly on the page itself?
4. Tweaking the side borders to the main layout table to add a shadow effect.
5. Provide a reason for users to visit my site again. Perhaps a Tip of the day section or What's New page?
6. What are your thoughts on adding a RSS feeds page with news regarding poker, along with a blog page. I do not want to detract from the main objective of the site, which is to offer information on the 2006 WSOP, specifically satellites.
Another question...on the WSOP satellites page. Should I stick to 3-4 sites that I promote, or just include a larger table with satellite information from many sites?
Thanks.
__________________
Hi pls.
|
 12-26-2005, 08:32 PM
|
|
Resident High Roller
|
|
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,017
|
|
I like the site but I'd like to offer two things:
1. Harrahs will come after you if the site gets any traffic, period. You're using the WSOP in the URL. Ask Jeremy how well that worked for him.
2. You misspelled enormous on the front page.
I'd seriously ask Jeremy or do a search about how protective of their name they are. They will threaten you with every legal that they have to shut the site down.
__________________
Top 50 ranking coming soon - Bow down bitches
|
 12-26-2005, 08:39 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 784
|
|
Quote:
Originally posted by Georgia Poker@Dec 26 2005, 06:32 PM
I like the site but I'd like to offer two things:
1. Harrahs will come after you if the site gets any traffic, period. You're using the WSOP in the URL. Ask Jeremy how well that worked for him.
2. You misspelled enormous on the front page.
I'd seriously ask Jeremy or do a search about how protective of their name they are. They will threaten you with every legal that they have to shut the site down. |
I hate to say it as well. But you will probablly hear from Harrahs sooner or later.
Not sure if there is a way to protect your rights to the URL here or not.
__________________
RakeKiller... its your money, get some back
Poker Rakeback Calculator
Are YOU a player?
|
 12-26-2005, 10:56 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 86
|
|
Never heard of that, what about sites like
wsop-reports
wsopseats
wsop-review
wsopsatellites
wsop-tournaments
??
__________________
Hi pls.
|
 12-27-2005, 12:24 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 784
|
|
You wil have trouble eventually with anything that is a Blatant attempt to profit off of the WSOP trademark.
It might be worth a shot as long as you dont overextend your efforts in designed the site so as not to be cost effective when they do threaten to sue you. (you dont want to fight them when they do, you will lose) You will have to give them up or at least take down the sites when they ask.
My opinion, but i think that is closer to the truth than anything.
__________________
RakeKiller... its your money, get some back
Poker Rakeback Calculator
Are YOU a player?
|
 12-27-2005, 04:32 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 86
|
|
With that mentality in mind, wouldn't anybody be able to copyright commonly used words or phrases? Someone could go out and copyright the abbreviation brb. Seems ridiculous.
__________________
Hi pls.
|
 12-27-2005, 09:29 AM
|
|
Resident High Roller
|
|
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,017
|
|
Guys, do a search here on PAW. Jeremy posted about this in detail.
__________________
Top 50 ranking coming soon - Bow down bitches
|
 12-27-2005, 09:38 AM
|
|
|
I'd suggest having a 2nd site ready just in case something happens with the one with WSOP in the domain. Regardless of whether or not you like or think that the trademark situation is fair, it's better to focus on something you can actually DO in case something happens. Having been on the other end of a trademark lawsuit myself, I'm awfully glad that I had other websites to fall back on. You can just as easily have gobbledygooknonsense.com/wsop/ and rank for several wsop and world series of poker terms.
|
 12-27-2005, 10:50 AM
|
|
Resident High Roller
|
|
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,017
|
|
Randy is right. I own wsop-news.com and wpt-news.com but have done nothing with them. They are worthless as domain names and not worth the trouble of setting up sites for IMO.
__________________
Top 50 ranking coming soon - Bow down bitches
|
 12-28-2005, 09:55 AM
|
|
|

Yes Harrah's will come after you. If your not getting any trafffic or your not ranked in the SE's then sure they will never know about you. But once you start getting big they will come after you.
Luckily for me, all the domains I had we registered to my offshore company in Belize at the time. With that said they couldn't nessacarily supenoa me in the states and had to use the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) Here is the link:
http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/...d2004-0989.html
Luckily for me I did really well with both the 2004 and 2005 domain when Binions owned the WSOP. They were a little behind the times and dindn't seem to know or care about how much traffic I was generating. The type in traffic alone was onverting well for me as this was post-moneymaker and everyone was out searching and trying to get into the WSOP.
Anyhow I wouldn't suggest using any domain with WSOP in it if you want any type of long term potential.
A better idea would be to build a tournament site with a generic name and just SEO the shit out of it for 2006 WSOP satellite.
|
| Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests) |
| |
|
Thread Tools
|
|
|
|
Display Modes
|
Linear Mode
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.
|