Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Spam Kill
Old 08-30-2006, 01:52 PM
RounderStaked RounderStaked is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 107
Send a message via MSN to RounderStaked
Default Forum Spamming?

I am looking for the opinions of the forum owners out there-

I have been a long time member of a few different large poker/casino forums. I had never been much of a frequent poster until recently. Other than contributing to the forum, it allows me to reach a very specific targeted market by inserting not more than a few word description and a link to my site. Keep in mind I never post any spam or aff. links in my posts, only relevant content for ex. new bonus offer, strategy tip, etc...

I havent received any requests to remove the sig. or anything like that, but I just wanted to hear some veteran opinions about it, to make sure im not accidently offending any forum owners

thanks a bunch for your thoughts
Reply With Quote
  #2   Spam Kill
Old 08-30-2006, 02:52 PM
ClickItNow ClickItNow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 74
Default

On most forums I think you can consider any posts which contains a link as spam (IMO). Giving a decent reply to a question is just really a smokescreen to the spam (IMO).

(Of course I am talking about links to your own site)

On an affiliate forum like this I think posting a link is fine (as seems to be the norm), because no-one is going to be rushing to sign up to each others poker affiliate links.
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spam Kill
Old 08-30-2006, 03:21 PM
RounderStaked RounderStaked is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 107
Send a message via MSN to RounderStaked
Default

I appreciate the info,

I typically dont reply to a question unless I am confident that it will be very informative, in other words not your typical average or decent response, and I never post just a 2 word useless "great find" for a bonus or something like that. If I do post something like these things, Ill leave the sig out.

The majority of my posts with my site in the sig are new bonus offers or new promos, that I am actually promoting on my site, but I use the main URL and dont add my aff. link to it.

I feel like these quality posts are much more beneficial to the whole forum than my 1/8 inch sig
Whats your opinion on that, considering that I am adding valuable new offers to the forum, and usually the forum admin will edit the post to add their aff. link to the main URL I provide?
Reply With Quote
  #4   Spam Kill
Old 08-30-2006, 03:43 PM
ClickItNow ClickItNow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 74
Default

I think the main issue is why is the forum there in the first place? The most likely answer is that it is a platform by which someone hopes or wants to make money.

The revenue opportunitys are likely to be affliate links (or equivalent), advertising, or sales.

By putting your own link in, all you are doing is becoming a direct competitor to the poor soul who has set up the forum. He/she has spent time, money and effort setting up the forum, therefore I would have to say IMO it is wrong to put the link in (or bonus/promo code or equivalent).
Reply With Quote
  #5   Spam Kill
Old 08-31-2006, 07:01 AM
Nick0r Nick0r is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 488
Send a message via AIM to Nick0r
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickItNow
By putting your own link in, all you are doing is becoming a direct competitor to the poor soul who has set up the forum. He/she has spent time, money and effort setting up the forum, therefore I would have to say IMO it is wrong to put the link in (or bonus/promo code or equivalent).
Exactly - and this is why anyone who uses that type of promotional sig on my forums will get it removed.
Reply With Quote
  #6   Spam Kill
Old 09-01-2006, 03:34 PM
RounderStaked RounderStaked is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 107
Send a message via MSN to RounderStaked
Default

Thanks for your thoughts guys, Im gonna take my url off my sig, and give them links on my site (not exchanged) as sort of a peace offering for my advertising with the sig

I appreciate your opinions, you brought up a couple things I didnt really consider
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Brandon Brandon is offline
Affiliate Manager - Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,845
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Send a message via MSN to Brandon Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon
Default

Glad to hear that you are starting with the right perspective. To many times people try to piggy back of someone elses hard work. Using forums to sell their products or ad spots, without giving anything back.
__________________
Brandon Berndt
Skype: BrandonBerndt
Msn:
AIM: BrandonBerndt
Reply With Quote
  #8   Spam Kill
Old 09-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Nick0r Nick0r is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 488
Send a message via AIM to Nick0r
Default

Just want to point out that PM spamming is the worst type of thing you can do, and it will anger a forum admin more than anything. A member from here (who will remain nameless) did this recently and I thought it was extremely unprofessional and deceiving.
Reply With Quote
  #9   Spam Kill
Old 09-02-2006, 11:33 AM
losercore losercore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mad City USA
Posts: 1,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0r
Just want to point out that PM spamming is the worst type of thing you can do, and it will anger a forum admin more than anything. A member from here (who will remain nameless) did this recently and I thought it was extremely unprofessional and deceiving.
PM spamming is the worst. I'm a member of the Full Tilit Forum and I get 3-5 PM's a week from affiliates trying to get me to open a second account with them to get another bonus. The funny thing is I report each one of them since I'm sure if I get them, than my players are getting them too.

Not sure if reporting them to FTP is helping yet because I often get the same ones.
__________________
"Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished. "
"You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan over here? "
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Jeremy Jeremy is offline
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,269
Send a message via MSN to Jeremy Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

Considering they have allowed "pokerbonuslistings.com" to spam their chat boxes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for years, I seriously doubt they are doing anything about PM's on their players forums.

For a company that spends literally millions on marketing, you would think they would want to protect their player value and retention a little better by not allowing this to go on around the clock, every day.
__________________
My two favorite quotes:

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone want to share my forum with me? SImpson975 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 3 01-18-2007 02:25 AM
Pnews Spamming my forum? stroke General Poker Affiliate Discussion 19 12-14-2006 11:12 PM
Partnering with sites that dont have a forum John D General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 06-28-2006 12:34 AM
How many users to make a good forum? corpfan1 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 7 06-11-2006 07:51 PM
Best Forum Software GoodKarmaKid General Poker Affiliate Discussion 5 12-01-2005 06:22 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0