Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Brandon's Avatar
Brandon Brandon is offline
Affiliate Manager - Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,124
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Send a message via MSN to Brandon Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon
Question Looking for Aff Man Position - Moving out of U.S

As most of you guys know, I am actively pursuing a position as an affiliate manager. I am really excited about the progress so far, and wanted to ask you guys a couple questions about moving out of the U.S.

The three locations where the companies that I am speaking with, are Canada, Costa Rica, and London. All three would require relocation. I am not committed to any of them yet, so other locations are possible.

So my question is, what sort of paperwork would I have to fill out to leave the U.S to work. I have never left the United States, so I really have no clue.

Also any advice you can give me in general about the move, or just industry in general (AM's) I would really appreciate. If you need to keep it private, send me a PM.

Thanks Guys!!
__________________
Brandon Berndt
Affiliate Program Director
ChanPoker.com
ChanPoker Affiliate Program *NOW LIVE*
Skype: BrandonBerndt
Msn:
AIM: BrandonBerndt
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Bryan's Avatar
Bryan Bryan is offline
BryanHauer.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 358
Send a message via AIM to Bryan Send a message via Yahoo to Bryan
Default

Brandon,

If you move to London... not sure what type of paperwork, but you'll sure as hell need alot of "Paper".

Good luck to you wherever you decide to move. Sounds pretty exciting.

Sorry I am just being a smart ass and not really contributing anything to this post, but I have never lived out of the U.S. Traveled outside it many times, but never lived outside it.

Good luck though.

Bryan
__________________
Something Sick in the Poker Industry is Coming Very Soon

And no it's not the sweet Gambling Wordpress Themes either.

Attention: Visit me on my news blog!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is online now
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,093
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

That's a good question. I'm not sure of what the requirements are as far as Visa's, ect. For starters though you'll want to make sure you have a passport so you can be available in a weeks notice for interviews.

Secondly when negotiating your salary and terms, make sure you're both using the same currency. As crazy as it sounds you may be thinking USD and they could be thinking British pounds.

Even though they are interviewing you, keep in mind you are educated and very talented, you should be interviewing them as well. There are many places in the industry that would not make sense to move out of the country to work for.

Whoever you go to work for though I am confident you will do very well. There are not many college grads in this industry with your work ethic and drive to be successful. You have made a significant impact in my businesses and I'm certain you will do the same for one lucky affiliate department.
__________________
My Personal Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2006, 10:21 PM
GoodKarmaKid's Avatar
GoodKarmaKid GoodKarmaKid is offline
Poker Player & Promoter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama
Posts: 329
Send a message via Yahoo to GoodKarmaKid Send a message via Skype™ to GoodKarmaKid
Default

Like Jeremy mentioned, you need a passport to travel abroad. Everything you need to know about passports is here . Almost every city has a US mail location that processes passport applications. It may take a month or so for your first passport, but after that the process to renew is pretty painless.

One additional benefit of working overseas is that the first 80k of your income is generally tax exempt. Double check this on the IRS site regarding US citizens working abroad but that is the number that I recall. One other aspect to look into and it is important is the tax implications of where you are going to work. Quite often you will have to pay tax in the country you are working, and both Canada and UK have very high tax rates. I'm not sure about Costa Rica, but I am guessing the tax rate is reasonable.

You will need a work visa for the respective country that you choose to work in. Normally, If a company hires you they will take care of the visa application for you.

London is a great city, a lot of fun, great bars, theatre, parks, culture, people watching, etc. But London is expensive, if you take a position in London make sure that the compensation package is reasonable, because it will cost you a lot more to live there. Movie in Leicester Square=10 pounds, which is slightly over 18 dollars.

Costa Rica is a great country and relatively inexpensive. You could probably have a much nicer lifestyle if you took a job in Costa Rica. Basically, your money goes a lot further here, nicer house, more money to spend or save, etc.

Canada. Presumably your talking about Vancouver, BC , I'm not aware of other citys with Poker Related offices. Vancouver, BC is the nicest city on the entire Pacific Coast. I can't say enough good things about Vancouver, but like London it is expensive.

If you take a job in Vancouver or London, make sure you get a decent compensation plan, because as I previously mentioned it will cost you a lot more to live in those cities.

Good Luck with the job hunt


Jason
__________________
Promote Poker | Poker Blog - "I'm Not Lucky, I have Good Karma!"

"Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty." Leo Rosten (1908- )
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 PM
mikebrad mikebrad is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 413
Default

Hey Brandon,

I'm American and I'm married to a foreign national here and have traveled abroad quite a bit and even worked overseas for a little while. It's very easy for Americans compared with most other countries, but that's neither here nor there.

As good karma kid pointed out, one website that has tons of information is the Department of State's website at http://travel.state.gov/

They have all of your visa info, your passport info and general info about each country (whether you can drink the water or not, lol). Obviously, the countries you are looking at are not that complex, but I hope that website helps you in any case.

Later,
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 PM
ethomps ethomps is offline
Members
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 380
Send a message via MSN to ethomps
Default

Which possible cities were you looking at in Canada? I might be able to help you out.

Ethomps
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-23-2006, 02:54 AM
Kyle Kyle is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,034
Default

If you are an affiliate manager, are you allowed to run a poker affiliate business?

I only ask because I think the highest I've seen a starting affiliate position advertised for was like $120 k a year, which is obviously dwarfed by the top poker affiliates
__________________
Affiliate Marketing Blog
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-2006, 04:51 AM
Aff Manager Aff Manager is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13
Default

Good luck with your move! However, think long and hard before you commit to anything.
Most companies wouldn't like you to have your own affiliate business at the same time for a variety of reasons.
Secondly, as an affiliate you have the freedom to work as and when you want, and your success is largely down to yourself. As an affiliate manager, this will no longer be the case. Expect a lot of frustration.

I'm sure it depends on the company you actually end up working for having said that.

Feel free to PM me, i'll gladly give you the benefit of my experience!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-23-2006, 12:44 PM
TRIPAAA TRIPAAA is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 104
Default Costa Rica for sure

Brandon- Costa Rica has many perks going for it above Canada or London. Here are a few:

The Beach !!!
Sunny all the time !!!
5 female to 1 male population !!!!!

Do I need to list more......

No seriously, unless the money is just that much better in Canada or London or the Job status is with a much better business plan. I would pic Costa Rica.

My 2 cents.

Good Luck with what ever you pic and above all else have fun.

------------------------

The Original Sabina Gadecki Fan Site

Omaha hi low Poker

Titan Poker Bonus Code
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Brandon's Avatar
Brandon Brandon is offline
Affiliate Manager - Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,124
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Send a message via MSN to Brandon Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon
Default

Thank you everyone for all the help!

Costa Rica would be my first choice due to the cost of living, and the area in general. But would be open for all.

Kyle, In Canada, most of them have been around Ontario.

Aff Man, PM sent. Thank you

And thank you to everyone who posted about the documents needed. I need to get started on these to be safe.

And of course, thank you Jeremy for the kind words.
__________________
Brandon Berndt
Affiliate Program Director
ChanPoker.com
ChanPoker Affiliate Program *NOW LIVE*
Skype: BrandonBerndt
Msn:
AIM: BrandonBerndt
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greg Powell is moving... gPowell General Poker Affiliate Discussion 14 03-24-2007 04:36 PM
Moving to The Midwest!!! losercore The Cocktail Lounge 7 01-12-2007 05:40 AM
Moving on.... Stephen ParadisePoker.com 11 11-17-2006 06:48 PM
Moving Offshore? PokerMaster The Poker Affiliate Exchange 0 10-03-2006 06:31 PM
Moving Ex Croupier The Cocktail Lounge 2 02-13-2005 08:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0