Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21   Spam Kill
Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 AM
PFO PFO is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 77
Default

I am pretty sure the sites can be redesigned easily without hurting SEO. If he is making that much money, he could easily afford a graphics designer. It doesn have to be pretty, just simple and user friendly, and not look outdated.

When a new user first looks at the outdated design they probably think the site is old, has old content, and never gets updated (before they read anything). --->back button click.

Why limit your audience and distract new users...I do not understand.
__________________
Poker Freerolls Online

Private Freeroll Leagues - Join our private leagues!
Reply With Quote
  #22   Spam Kill
Old 05-17-2007, 07:57 AM
J S J S is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 376
Default

very well done from the biggest poker SEO guru I know. def keeping a watch on this site.
__________________
J S

Poker League Software - Easily create and update a leaderboard for your league!

Learn to Deal Poker like a Pro - an online training course for poker dealers.

How to Run Poker Tournaments - an online training course for poker tournament directors.

Poker Directory - list your quality poker site.
Reply With Quote
  #23   Spam Kill
Old 05-17-2007, 09:12 AM
e888 e888 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6
Default

nice site
__________________
Best poker
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Jeremy Jeremy is offline
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,492
Send a message via MSN to Jeremy Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

I dont think anyone is going to make the argument that PlayWinningPoker or Poker-SEO are the prettiest sites on the net, however if you're talking about content there is no question it is among the best.

The difference with these sites versus the majority out there is that these sites don't go out of their way to sell you on clicking a banner, following a link, or using a bonus code. They are true "information sites", and this has always been Badger's goal, to share information. Not to have a pretty flash header and sexy graphics. In fact they remind me of a blog in a sense.

While if it were me, I may look at doing something to spice it up. Yet if I ranked that high in the SERPS I would also feel like I was walking on eggshells changing any structure in the pages.

In regards to Poker-SEO, I could really care less about the presentation, I am more concerned with the content. If you look at the other information sites such as pagat.com, pokersitescout, and the older one that used to track # of players at all rooms......none are that pretty.
__________________
My two favorite quotes:

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
  #25   Spam Kill
Old 05-18-2007, 05:45 AM
scrawnybob scrawnybob is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 231
Default how much does site structrue affect SEO

hi jeremy

you've touched on something here - which as I understand it is partly why Steve leaves his design well alone

I have been thinking about a bit of a redesign on my layout - thinking I could improve page layouts for improved SEO - but I guess this cold be a two way street and leave me worse off ?

play winning has the old style narrow left and right columns and unique content down the middle (as does my main site) - I was planning to move exact same content (for a while) in the left and right columns into a single righthand column

my reasoning was partly for visitor ease and navigation and partly so the the unique content on each page would appear further up the code.

Given that you and Steve know your stuff - could this do more harm than good ?

also if steve is still posting on PAW - maybe he could add some valued input.

cheers scrawnybob
__________________
http://www.4kingpoker.com ... don't get bitter - get better

http://www.badbeatornot.com - Poker Odds Calculator

MillionDollarPokerGuide.com ... http://www.milliondollarpokerguide.com
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Jeremy Jeremy is offline
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,492
Send a message via MSN to Jeremy Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

I am by no means an SEO expert. I will say I have learned a lot over the years from mentors such as Randy and Steve as well as people like Kyle and Nick.

Maybe they would be better to chime in here......
__________________
My two favorite quotes:

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
  #27   Spam Kill
Old 05-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Randy Randy is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrawnybob View Post
I have been thinking about a bit of a redesign on my layout - thinking I could improve page layouts for improved SEO - but I guess this cold be a two way street and leave me worse off ?

play winning has the old style narrow left and right columns and unique content down the middle (as does my main site) - I was planning to move exact same content (for a while) in the left and right columns into a single righthand column

my reasoning was partly for visitor ease and navigation and partly so the the unique content on each page would appear further up the code.
I've always been a fan of a right hand navbar because it does put the content higher in the code, but I've got sites with a left hand navigation too, and it doesn't seem to hurt their rankings at all. I think if it's good for your users, you might go ahead and give it a try. I don't think it would hurt anything. On the other hand, I don't think moving that left navbar content to the right is going to help you rank much better either.

(I do hear stories from time to time from people who made a major change to their layout and they disappeared from Google temporarily. I've never experienced that when I've done a layout change though.)

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #28   Spam Kill
Old 05-18-2007, 01:58 PM
MrMcGee MrMcGee is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 136
Default

CSS-based designs ftw!

I would love to hear from the horses mouth why Steve has chosen to not do some sort of makeover to his site(s). My feeling is that it would just be too big of an undertaking, because done right...there would be no SE penalties. That doesn't really explain why he'd continue building new sites in the same form & fashion though. So maybe it's just the idea that, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

It's obviously working pretty damn well for him.

It would be interesting to see the transformation his sites have seen over time, but...
Reply With Quote
  #29   Spam Kill
Old 05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Beanie Beanie is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 369
Send a message via AIM to Beanie Send a message via MSN to Beanie
Default

I may have an interesting observation. I just bought a scooter and as I handed over payment in 20 dollar bills I felt a need to explain that I was a poker player by trade. That brought me to the subject of my site. The guy typed it in about as slow as you can. I immediately thought of Steve's sites.

They are tailored made for these types of people and they represent some of the future players. I once read that when you give a gift to someone be careful not to give a gift certificate to Ruth's Chris when someone has never been there.

I highly doubt its the only reason but I am sure its one.
Reply With Quote
  #30   Spam Kill
Old 05-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Kyle Kyle is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 956
Send a message via AIM to Kyle Send a message via Skype™ to Kyle
Default

I think that is dead on Beanie. It's all about the target niche and people who don't have 3 seconds of patience to read what the site is about before closing the window definitely are not in playwinningpoker's niche market. I imagine the niche he is after is serious poker players, a lot of them who are probably older and do not care about a "pretty" poker site.

Also, when you have the amount of traffic and authority rankings that his site does it would be foolish to try and "fix" something that is not broken. Even if he only lost partial rankings or rankings for a week or so... he could still lose a lot of money when you have that kind of positions and it's not worth the risk.

Also, just because an individual may have switched over a site months ago to a new template without a problem, there are many different individual factors for each site to consider, as well as the fact that the google algorithm is constantly changing.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article on the Poker Ban you can use on your sites Zilla The Poker Affiliate Exchange 1 10-11-2006 01:39 AM
Article To Introduce New Players to Online Poker bankrollboost.com General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 04-09-2006 06:41 AM
Writers Wanted adioking The Poker Affiliate Exchange 7 01-20-2006 02:19 PM
my key word dropped 60 spots in google! freepp General Poker Affiliate Discussion 11 06-16-2005 09:13 PM
Linker Tracker Problem mitchtam General Poker Affiliate Discussion 9 03-26-2005 09:18 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0