Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews
  #1  
Old 04-17-2007, 12:09 AM
kaus kaus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ont, Canada
Posts: 1,158
Send a message via MSN to kaus Send a message via Yahoo to kaus Send a message via Skype™ to kaus
Default Possible Coder

Ok Someone has told me that my code is messed up mainly to do with to much code, CSS among other things. So I am awaiting a reply back from someone over at seo who can share a little light on this. I am curious as to what it would cost me to fix this and how could I have gone so wrong when I used a WYSIWYG? You can either let me know here or PM if you would rather that. Site link is in my sig.

Thank you

Cheryle
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-17-2007, 03:40 PM
kaus kaus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ont, Canada
Posts: 1,158
Send a message via MSN to kaus Send a message via Yahoo to kaus Send a message via Skype™ to kaus
Unhappy

I have had some people over at seo take a peek for me and said that there is a huge amount of bloating. Is this norm with WYSIWYG. The reason I am asking is I am using a trial version (still have 30 days to go) but I was heading out tomorrow to go buy it / or one similar.

I feel so sick to my stomach with this, 1 step forward 2 steps back, but I guess I can't really complain a whole lot seeing as I am trying to do something I don't know how to do
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2007, 03:49 PM
ArthurD ArthurD is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 75
Default

WYSIWYG = the worst possible code! Whenever an application is creating your code for you it's going to get bloated, no matter what. The application being a trial version or not doesn't matter - it creates the same code regardless.

In general WYSIWYG is BAD *if* you're trying to be very good with your CSS / SEO / and standards compliance. It's great for newbies, and it's even great for experts - but with that said, you *MUST* go in and edit the code to be minimal.

I could assist you with this professionally, but I think you're trying to learn it yourself. Either way, feel free to ask if you have any questions, I'll do my best to assist. :-)
__________________
-Arthur D'Antonio III
Web Developer (PHP Specialist)

RakebackSoftware.com - The Automated Solution for Managing your rakeback business


AIM: ADanto6840
MSN:
Email:
Phone: 1.812.369-0538
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Mitchell Mitchell is offline
PAW Affiliate Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne, AU
Posts: 210
Default

Hey Kaus,

CSS isn't really all that tough to pick up.

I'd suggest getting a copy of Photoshop or even 1st page (do a Google search - it's free, and don't confuse it with Frontpage).

You usually learn incredibly fast with programs like that - well, i did anyway
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2007, 10:09 PM
losercore's Avatar
losercore losercore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mad City USA
Posts: 1,271
Default

Kaus's problem is that there is a CSS but all the code styles are on the pages also. it makes it too messy. The #2 most found word on main page is an HTML tag.

She needs someone to clean up the pages and make sure everything is pointing to the css and not the style on each page. It's not a hard job, in fact i think maybe even Alance could do something for you. Might be worth a shot.
__________________
"Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished. "
But while playing online poker at Full Tilt Poker I use a Full Tilt Bonus Code to get a sign up deposit bonus. Duh!

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2007, 10:32 PM
kaus kaus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ont, Canada
Posts: 1,158
Send a message via MSN to kaus Send a message via Yahoo to kaus Send a message via Skype™ to kaus
Default

I think I understand what you mean losercore. I have the CSS it's just I didnt use it right? I should have been using the CSS sheets instead of manually entering the styles myself which in turn duplicated them or I am running two different styles for the same thing. Am I right?

Also when I went over to sitepoint and seo chat and asked opinons, I recieved feedback on the prgram I am using and was told that it's not the best way of learning how to do this. That Frontpage and those like it can really bloat the code. They pointed me to some great reading material and also some on how to strip the code.
I have created a couple of testing pages to work on. Those over at seo pointed out some more issues that need to be fixed....a learning curve I guess
__________________


Last edited by kaus : 04-18-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is offline
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,949
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

You could probably get someone at rentacoder to fix the bloated CSS code very cheap.
__________________
My Personal Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-18-2007, 11:55 PM
geoffvro's Avatar
geoffvro geoffvro is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 80
Default

Yeah, it's a little bloated... a lot of breaks and spans when table css can be utilized. You also have multiple html, head, and doctype declarations
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2007, 09:58 AM
losercore's Avatar
losercore losercore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mad City USA
Posts: 1,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaus View Post
I think I understand what you mean losercore. I have the CSS it's just I didnt use it right? I should have been using the CSS sheets instead of manually entering the styles myself which in turn duplicated them or I am running two different styles for the same thing. Am I right?

Also when I went over to sitepoint and seo chat and asked opinons, I recieved feedback on the prgram I am using and was told that it's not the best way of learning how to do this. That Frontpage and those like it can really bloat the code. They pointed me to some great reading material and also some on how to strip the code.
I have created a couple of testing pages to work on. Those over at seo pointed out some more issues that need to be fixed....a learning curve I guess

Exactly!

I'm glad they were able to send you in the right direction. You'll get it all figured out. i've had to do this in the past when i was using a bought template form a moron that had no idea how to use CSS.

That's one reason I respect Alance and his work on templates. Very clean code. It's very helpful.
__________________
"Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished. "
But while playing online poker at Full Tilt Poker I use a Full Tilt Bonus Code to get a sign up deposit bonus. Duh!

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a PHPLD designer and coder Holis Web Design Q&A 1 04-07-2007 10:18 PM
Be Careful Who You Hire adioking General Poker Affiliate Discussion 7 03-21-2007 09:08 PM
Need a coder ucladave General Poker Affiliate Discussion 3 01-08-2007 12:03 AM
need a quick coder BonusPokerTime Web Design Q&A 1 10-25-2006 05:25 AM
I need a PHP Coder NeverBeg General Poker Affiliate Discussion 3 07-01-2006 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0