Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > Search Engine Optimization

Search Engine Optimization Better rankings in the search engines mean more money in our bank accounts. Share tips and strategies for SEO here.

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Justin's Avatar
Justin Justin is offline
The up and comer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: C-bus
Posts: 497
Send a message via AIM to Justin
Default Changing the URL for a page

Lets say I have a URL that is

ohiostatepoker.com/tid_12345

And I want to change it so I can put some keywords into it...

ohiostatepoker.com/columbus-poker-tournament

If I do this throughout my whole site will I mess up all of my rankings that I have now? Im looking to move to the top of the list with some of my keywords and I think this will help out, but I dont want to mess anyhting up beyond repair.
__________________
JustinGoff.com


NEW GOAL - $15,000 per month by December 31st
September - $5,200 net income

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-29-2006, 09:47 AM
J S's Avatar
J S J S is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 423
Default

you'll want to research how to do a proper 301 re-direct. There are some threads in this forum talking about it. It can be done, we did it for some of our pages with positive results. Just be sure you do it correctly or I believe you can be penalized for duplicate content and other negatives.

there is some good advice buried in this section on doing this. Others certainly know better than I, but I believe you need to re-create the page with the new name and then put the re-direct on the old page to point to the new page.
__________________
J S

Advocate for Online Poker Legalization - Dr. Ron Paul, Republican 2008 Presidential Candidate. Wake up and smell the revolution.

Do you run a poker league? Poker League Software provides a free automated poker leaderboard you can use. You can also Learn to Deal Poker, with our best selling online training course.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-29-2006, 05:38 PM
PPP PPP is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,633
Default

"will I mess up all of my rankings"

Yes, at first they will go down, then they should go up due to the more useful URL. This assumes you do a 301 from the old URL to the new one.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:43 AM
mikebrad mikebrad is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 374
Default

On the same note, what about changing extensions of pages? Does that affect you the same way?

Let's say, for instance, I want to change my entire site from .htm to .php
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 PM
PPP PPP is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,633
Default

It changes everything, unless they are index files where the linking was done correctly in the first place... like you replace index.htm with index.php and all your links were to site.com/section/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Page rank 3 front page gambling links for sale RILEY31 The Poker Affiliate Exchange 1 03-05-2007 01:50 AM
Unique Opportuniry - Get your own page on DeuceAce Poker Forums - Only your content John D The Poker Affiliate Exchange 8 01-15-2007 08:18 AM
Post your Poker Page Info and backlinks on Smack Dog Poker SmackDog The Poker Affiliate Exchange 1 01-09-2007 11:47 PM
Making a link skip to a certain section on a new page hyacinthgirl New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews 4 11-24-2006 08:14 PM
Question about changing page names ucladave General Poker Affiliate Discussion 4 02-10-2006 12:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0