Ok, I'm pretty new to the whole SEO thing, and could really use a mentor in that area. I have one site (in sig) with a PR2, and another site that has no PR at all (substitute LOSANGELES instead of UCLA for second site). Can anyone recommend something to do in order to get that PR up?
Pagerank in one way is simple. You just have to get quality/quantity of links pointing at you. You increase pagerank by getting good links, getting more links, and by using the pagerank you have to your advantage.
Originally posted by PPP@Apr 3 2006, 01:32 AM Pagerank in one way is simple. You just have to get quality/quantity of links pointing at you. You increase pagerank by getting good links, getting more links, and by using the pagerank you have to your advantage.
The short answer is "get some good links".
Ok, thanks for the advice PPP. Any suggestions on how to get some good quality links?
List your site in link exchange marketplaces (like Link Metro), and you'll start getting contacted by webmasters. Also contact webmasters yourself, and ask if they're interested in trading links.
Standard reciprocal links aren't worth as much anymore, but if you've got 2 sites, you can work out one-way linking... for example, you link to them from site A, and they link back to you at site B.
I've got two sites, both PR4, and I've done it by finding link partners. I've had to be willing to give away front-page links (in the longrun you dont want very many outbound links on your main page), but I've traded for PR5 and PR6 internal pages.
From the start though, take whatever links you can get from any site vaguely related to poker, just don't link to 'bad neighborhoods' (viral, spammers, viagra, etc.). Services like Link Metro and Monster Link Swap really helped me kickstart. You'll have no trouble obtaining several links per day this way, and even though they'll mostly be new sites with PR0, they all help.
Also, try to give away a few links per page, possibly in the footers, rather than having 1 massive link page.. this is unappeaing to webmasters. A PR4 page with 100 links on it is not as good a link to have, as a PR2 page with 2 links on it.
But mainly, to raise the status and profile of your site you want to figure out something unique you can offer, so that people will become interested in linking to you, just because you have something cool on your site. It's tough in poker - other, competing poker sites dont want to give away business. But sites like tightpoker get a lot of free links, because they created the Hand History Replayer... a very cool tool.
Originally posted by stacksback@Apr 4 2006, 02:21 AM From the start though, take whatever links you can get from any site vaguely related to poker, just don't link to 'bad neighborhoods' (viral, spammers, viagra, etc.).
Just wondering if there was an easy way to check this. Say I have a potential link exchange how do I know whether that URL is one that I should avoid?
Thanks
Adrian.
__________________
iPokerGroup Network - Online Poker Strategy | Online Poker Freerolls | Full Tilt Poker | Johnny Chan Poker
Free PAW Freeroll listing script - Increase your conversions and list up-to-date PAW freeroll listings to your users. Full Details here
Some of the best backlinks I have ever received are because I simply asked. Take that FWIW.
Also if you are going to ask for a backlink, keep it personal and not some spam looking email like the 25 I get every day. Any email that starts out "Dear Webmaster" gets deleted immediatly.
Still building my site and alls its content at the moment, but I should be at this stage in the next week or two, so I'll bear all your advice in mind.
__________________
iPokerGroup Network - Online Poker Strategy | Online Poker Freerolls | Full Tilt Poker | Johnny Chan Poker
Free PAW Freeroll listing script - Increase your conversions and list up-to-date PAW freeroll listings to your users. Full Details here