| Search Engine Optimization Better rankings in the search engines mean more money in our bank accounts. Share tips and strategies for SEO here. |
 09-21-2005, 12:56 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 627
|
|
Okay, my Beat The Fish site is only about 2 months old. I understand that Google only updates Page Rank every few months or so, thus I have no PageRank there so far. I AM indexed there. I'm also indexed at Yahoo with about 75 backlinks or so.
Last night, I checked out seomoz.org just for fun to see how low I was on keyword rankings. At MSN, I'm actually #1 for a few keywords like "online poker room reviews". However, I'm not even ranked for Yahoo or Google. Is that normal, even for Yahoo where I have some backlinks listed? Sorry for the webmaster newbie question, I'm a longtime HTML programmer without much (read any) SEO experience. Hopefully, I'm getting better...
On a side note, does anyone know if Google updates its directory when it updates Page Rank? I know that they use DMOZ as their directory feed, but when do the actually update this?
Thanks for the help...
|
 09-21-2005, 02:44 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,290
|
|
whats amazing is that i have a site that is 1 years old and its number 1 on yahoo for a very popular poker keyword, and on google its like number 2,000
__________________
Play Online Poker Now . There are a lot of Poker Rooms Accepting US Players and you can qualify for free to the 2008 WSOP . If your a casino player be sure to see the Casinos allowing USA players . Not from America then get the top PartyPoker Bonuscode , Finally if your a promoter see our Poker Affiliate Programs and Casino Affiliate Programs
|
 09-21-2005, 02:51 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 627
|
|
That probably makes sense with Google being such a targeted search engine, but that's a pretty huge disparity. I'm wondering if it's normal not to be ranked on Yahoo for anything with some backlinks... I'm probably just being impatient.
|
 09-21-2005, 03:29 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,290
|
|
i was amazed at getting a number 1 ranking for a popular term on yahoo, must have just happened because it wasnt there last week, guess its time to redo that site as it was just a site that i was using to test things on , but now mabye it will make me some money.
i wonder in numbers the difference in searches on yahoo and google are?
__________________
Play Online Poker Now . There are a lot of Poker Rooms Accepting US Players and you can qualify for free to the 2008 WSOP . If your a casino player be sure to see the Casinos allowing USA players . Not from America then get the top PartyPoker Bonuscode , Finally if your a promoter see our Poker Affiliate Programs and Casino Affiliate Programs
|
 09-21-2005, 04:12 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 627
|
|
:angry: Nevermind, I guess I'm not indexed on Yahoo at all. Is this typical for being up for a couple of months?
|
 09-21-2005, 08:41 AM
|
|
|
Write me an article or news story to publish. I will include your banklink and your site will be indexed in a few days. Go to any of my news storys and copy a sentence. Then put it into google or Yahoo........because this site gets spidered all the time, they all come up within a few days.
Hence with your backlink at the beginning of the article or news, you will get indexed ASAP.
There's your solution, no excuses.
Jeremy
|
 09-21-2005, 09:23 AM
|
|
|
It's not at all unusual to see different rankings in Yahoo, MSN, and Google, since they're all using different algorithms to rank sites.
They all have their own "robots" too, so the timing of their indexing will be different too.
Focus on building pages of content and getting good quality backlinks. The search engines will take care of themselves if you do those two things correctly.
|
 09-21-2005, 08:37 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 627
|
|
Jeremy, I do have one up on yout articles page! Take a look at "Why No-Limit is Better Than Limit"... :P
So why am I still not even indexed with Yahoo? Totally understand that Randy, I'm not expecting big ranking on the big 2 right now, but at least Google indexed me.
-Josh
|
 09-21-2005, 08:48 PM
|
|
|
Yahoo is notoriously slow about indexing your internal pages. I know people who haven't had their internal pages indexed in over a year. And I have sites where my homepage hasn't been indexed for several months.
|
 09-21-2005, 08:57 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 627
|
|
-thumbs up to Randy-
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice... I knew I was just being impatient. 
|
| Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests) |
| |
|
Thread Tools
|
|
|
|
Display Modes
|
Linear Mode
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is On
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.
|