Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews

New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews This is the place for new affiliates to ask the vetrans general questions and answers

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-17-2006, 07:27 PM
JamieB34 JamieB34 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 82
Default Why does noone add sports?

Hi,
I was wondering why almost no poker affiliates add sports or casino betting to there sites?
Is it just that the interest just isn't there or is it due to gambling laws?
I have been thinking on adding a fairly large amount of sports and casino advertising to my site and appreciate any input from anyone here.
__________________
Thanks
Jamie - Hosting Viper Videos URL-Shrink
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-17-2006, 11:53 PM
Bryan's Avatar
Bryan Bryan is offline
BryanHauer.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Bryan Send a message via Yahoo to Bryan
Default

Sportsbetting is clearly illegal in the U.S. It's directly covered in the 1961 wire act.

Quote:
Whoever being engaged in the business of betting or wagering knowingly uses a wire communication facility for the transmission in interstate or foreign commerce of bets or wagers or information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers on any sporting event or contest, or for the transmission of a wire communication which entitles the recipient to receive money or credit as a result of bets or wagers, or for information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.
This is also why some executives of major off-shore sportsbetting operations have been targeted and detained over the last year when entering the U.S.

This would also explain why most U.S. based affiliates steer clear of promoting online sportsbetting sites. Many affiliates however do promote many online casinos and I see it quite often on many affiliate sites. However some may not promote casino sites on their poker site because of the thinking that poker is a "game of skill" and casino betting is considered more of a "game of chance".

Bryan
__________________
Something Sick in the Poker Industry is Coming Very Soon

And no it's not the sweet Gambling Wordpress Themes either. Also, check out my other Premium WordPress Themes!

Attention: Visit me on my news blog!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-18-2006, 12:17 AM
JamieB34 JamieB34 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 82
Default Sports Betting

Hi,
Thx for the info Bryan.
Basically what I am wanting to do is just advertise as I would poker rooms. Just banners and stats on my site.
Would that be considered illegal?
I wouldnt be accepting any bets or wagers and there would be no transmision of bets or wagers through my site. Just simply advertising?
__________________
Thanks
Jamie - Hosting Viper Videos URL-Shrink
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-18-2006, 12:55 AM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is online now
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,259
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

This is certainly a gray area for any US based webmaster. But I imagine you would be more exposed to "aiding and abetting" if you promoted sportsbooks that accepted phone wagers from U.S. citizens.

I suppose it's no different than if I constantly reffered people to large Mexican Coke dealer and handed out his phone number. Even though I would'nt be selling it, the U.S. government would find a way to make me guilty since there is a concrete law on the books about it.........similar to the wire act.
__________________
My Poker Affiliate Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Bryan's Avatar
Bryan Bryan is offline
BryanHauer.com
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 432
Send a message via AIM to Bryan Send a message via Yahoo to Bryan
Default

Quote:
or information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers on any sporting event or contest
I would interpret this to mean providing ads and also information related to the promotion of sportsbetting. As Jeremy stated though... it is a gray area and I can't think of any affiliates to date that have been charged with anything related to this, but most U.S. based affiliates have now steered clear of this to prevent any future legal problems if the government does decide to crack down.

Bryan
__________________
Something Sick in the Poker Industry is Coming Very Soon

And no it's not the sweet Gambling Wordpress Themes either. Also, check out my other Premium WordPress Themes!

Attention: Visit me on my news blog!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 AM
JamieB34 JamieB34 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 82
Default

Hi,
Thanks for all the great info.
I think I will stay clear of this as well at least until the US problems become a bit clearer for us in the months to come.
__________________
Thanks
Jamie - Hosting Viper Videos URL-Shrink
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-22-2006, 04:39 AM
absentx absentx is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 486
Default

What about offering good sports content on your site though?

against the law or not..gamblers like to gamble.

I would keep sports info on my site just to keep gambling folk coming to my site, regardless if I have sports betting links or not.
__________________
Poker Rakeback
Come see Rakeshark completely redesigned, it's pretty badass
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canadians?? poker69 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 13 10-04-2006 10:33 PM
Advertising on sites who doesn´t have anything to do with gambling or sports John M New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews 9 10-03-2006 03:02 AM
Sports Wagering Affiliating? corpfan1 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 02-27-2006 09:11 AM
The best Sports book to promote tke1600 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 3 01-18-2006 03:17 AM
Sports ticker for websites? corpfan1 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 07-12-2005 08:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0