Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
pokerguy pokerguy is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 219
Default Your contingency plans in case of legal troubles?

There are no brighline legal rules about online poker anymore. While we know most of the focus is on sportsbetting, we also know the DOJ will probably not stop there. So what are some of the things US-based webmasters can do?

Here are a couple of possible plans:

1. Shutting down the website or selling it to a foreign marketing firm. This seems a bit drastic to me.

2. Stop all online poker advertising.

3. Stop all revenue-sharing online poker advertising and focus only on click-through or per sign up deals. I am no legal expert, but I remember reading somewhere that if you share in the revenue, you are more likely to get prosecuted. And, of course, no more sponsoring freerolls.

4. Keep running website as is, but run verification box requiring users to "verify" that they are not in the US, and that if they are from the US, they can only use the information on your website for "educational and entertainment" purposes. Again, I'm no lawyer, so don't know how well this works.

5. Transfer all domain registration and domain hosting offshore, but continue to live in America and run the website remotely.

6. Same as 5, but actually move out of America and to a country that has legalized online poker/gambling.

Am I missing any options? What do you guys think is the best route?
__________________


I love my job.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-25-2006, 05:27 AM
CAZ's Avatar
CAZ CAZ is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 784
Default

Funnel everything through my uncle who lives in BC.
__________________
RakeKiller... its your money, get some back
Poker Rakeback Calculator
Are YOU a player?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-25-2006, 06:19 AM
pokerguy pokerguy is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 219
Default

Sounds like a good plan.

No one else is worried about this?
__________________


I love my job.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Georgia Poker Georgia Poker is offline
Resident High Roller
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,016
Default

No
__________________
Top 50 ranking coming soon - Bow down bitches
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Kyle Kyle is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,073
Default

yawn
__________________
Affiliate Marketing Blog
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-25-2006, 06:15 PM
pokerguy pokerguy is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 219
Default

Thanks for the responses, guys.

For people who think this will not affect them, may I ask what your analysis is of the situation (other than that there *is* no situation).

Red Herring:

Nervous Times
Marketing and advertising agencies with online gambling clients were understandably nervous. Many sought the help of their attorneys in assessing what they should do. The indictments are generally seen as insufficient for those measuring the extent of their legal exposure.>>

“I have a potential customer in the online betting business out of Panama,” one executive who was granted anonymity told RedHerring.com. “They’re planning to mail over a million brochures to gamblers in the U.S. I called the Postal Service to find out if it’s unlawful, but no one seems to know the answer.”

Marketing firms are trying to sort out whether the government is looking at the transport of advertising paraphernalia such as banners and other promotional material across state lines, or if it is strictly concerned about sending promotional brochures through the mail, or both.

“We are talking to our lawyers, but frankly everyone is waiting for the government to spell out exactly what this all means,” said the marketing executive.

In the meantime, the British press has been having a field day with the U.S. online gambling crackdown. The latest news says PartyGaming Chief Executive Mitch Garber does not believe that the indictments will have a significant effect on his company.

He saw no signs that U.S. bettors are withdrawing their money.
__________________


I love my job.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Rice Rice is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 52
Default

If pushing poker affiliate programs becomes officially illegal, simply moving your servers overseas is basically saying that you're sidestepping government regulation and saying that you're above the law and know the legal ramifications of operating in the U.S. If you are a producing affiliate who has a broad base of international players, it just might make perfect sense to relocate to a country where you can operate with the law in your favor. I don't think I would move to another country if I was only making $1,000 a month or so, but as a producing affiliate I would consider the possibility of living in a country which accepted online gambling and its affiliates.
__________________
Rice
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 PM
adioking's Avatar
adioking adioking is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 1,576
Default

asdf
__________________
Play mac poker and mac casino games, and read poker articles at online poker mac.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Dave Dave is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 502
Default

It's pointless to worry about the maybe future.

Trust an old geezer of 44 who has been in this game from the start.

Keep working on your projects like you had no idea about the possibles and the maybes.

War, poverty, bad news about everything according to CNN.

I've been a news junkie since I was 6 watching Walter Cronkite commentate on the moon landings, Vietnam war and everything since and I'll tell you that with all the shit happening in this world I have never been more optimistic about the future of mankind.

Todays problems are at par with the problems of the past.

It's nothing new folks and in fact huge advances are being made on many levels.

I know this sounds crazy and irresponsible especially to you younger people and those of you who have families but it's the truth.

Back to the poker affiliate world.

If you have made even a few bucks in the extemely competitive world of online poker affiliate marketing then you have learnt skills that no one can take away from you and can be applied to any online market.

The online marketing world is your oyster.

Get your wife or girlfriend involved in affiliate marketing. If they have a passion for anything you can be sure there is a market for it.

Don't limit yourself to just online poker, as lucrative as it may be.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-26-2006, 06:48 AM
pokerguy pokerguy is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 219
Default

Dave, thanks for the words of comfort. Hey, you're not Caz's uncle are you? ("Funnel everything through my uncle who lives in BC.")


I think whatever happens next, it will happen first to the sportsbook people. So hopefully what happens to them will give us a better indication of where poker is going.

However, I'm still having a hard time going about my business knowing that DOJ may strike at any time without warning (even though the likelihood is small).
__________________


I love my job.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A little bad news...and is this legal? boarderman23 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 2 03-05-2007 10:32 AM
Poker affiliating as a legal business ozim General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 12-07-2006 09:35 AM
Analysis of new gaming law and affiliate options JacksNQueens General Poker Affiliate Discussion 16 10-06-2006 03:41 PM
Canadians?? poker69 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 13 10-04-2006 10:33 PM
Is anyone changing payment plans? hoursurfing General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 07-01-2006 10:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0