Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2007, 06:39 PM
JohnH's Avatar
JohnH JohnH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 212
Default For you experienced tournament holders...

I've been thinking about doing some kind of tournament to help get the word out about a new site I am working on. Is it completely worthless to do a free roll? I searched PAW and have seen nothing but negative things being said about freeroll whores and such. I would hate to waste it.

Is it worth it to have a tournament with a small buy in and a good prize (like an ipod or Iphone)? Do your visitors actually sign up through your tracker, deposit, and play in the tournament?

What would be a good buy in amount to keep out the free rollers and but bring in actual players?

Anyone have any good experiences with tournaments like this?
__________________
Poker Bonus Codes
Poker Articles
Heads Up Poker
Online Poker Strategy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is online now
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,266
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

My opinion is that freerolls are great for existing members or a community. For example if I do a freeroll for the members here at PAW, it keeps people loyal and is a fun way for people who already know each other to break away from the forum and have a little fun.

However if you are doing a freeroll to acquire new real money players, I think it is a waste of time. Surely you may get lucky and get a few people that will sign up and maybe become rmp's months down the road.

For the most part though, there is a huge circuit of freerollers out there that troll forums all day looking for passwords or entries. At the same time though, as long as you are aware of this and aren't expecting to make thousands from your freerolls, then I guess it doesn't hurt anything.

Just my thoughts
__________________
My Poker Affiliate Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."

Last edited by Jeremy : 12-10-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 PM
JohnH's Avatar
JohnH JohnH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 212
Default

What about tournaments that require a small buy in like $5 or $10? I want to take advantage of the traffic I have now by hosting a tournament of some kind.
__________________
Poker Bonus Codes
Poker Articles
Heads Up Poker
Online Poker Strategy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is online now
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,266
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

Is it poker or non-poker traffic? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to just try one and see what the results are.

Might actually make for an interesting case study and good link bait for your blog.
__________________
My Poker Affiliate Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Graham's Avatar
Graham Graham is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,032
Default

I am currently conducting a similar study. I have found that it helped get the forum more active, so in that respect it is good. I never planned for it to make any money, but more to build up the forum, get some of the old posters coming back that hadn't posted in a while, capture a few more emails that I could market to down the road, and to raise awareness of the new site. The freeroll is going to run next weekend, and I am gonna post how it goes later in my blog.
__________________
*** Advertising Offer: Let Me Review Your Sites ***

Free Poker Money - Poker Babes - Poker Videos - Poker News - Poker Affiliate Tips

"Good things come to those who wait, but only the things left over by those who hustle."
- President Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Prenut Prenut is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 348
Default

You might want to pose this question directly to Nick as it appears that he has been able to parlay an active forum into more than anyone else in this industry. From the few times that I have browsed through Cardschat it appears that he runs alot of money added freerolls that require a buy in (and hence a deposit). However, I do not know the history of how he went about this - meaning I don't know if he initially started with freerolls and then after getting more activity switching to money addeds.
__________________
Get a 25% bonus to play Poker at Pacific. Max bonus is $100 Click this link to play
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-12-2007, 09:19 AM
PFO PFO is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 126
Default

I run many freerolls at my site, mainly to keep forum traffic and as a reward to my contributing forum members. I usually run a buy-in and a freeroll together. I don't plan on profiting anyway, but think it as a advertising cost for the website.

Try a small buy-in with added money.
__________________
Find information on Carbon Poker Freerolls and BoDog Freerolls at the highest ranking freeroll site.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-12-2007, 09:24 AM
J S's Avatar
J S J S is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 456
Default

I would strongly suggest against making it a pure freeroll as you will be bombarded with freeroll whores, my god the freeroll whores. Instead, make it a smaller buy in with $$ added event and or prize added event.

You probably will not be able to limit it to ONLY players tracked to you... Reasons I say that is that you want a large number of people in the event I'm assuming and you want all of your 'regulars' (if you are doing this for a forum/community etc) to be able to play even if they do not have an account through you.

You also do not want to make a minimum post requirement in your forum unless you want tons of garbage posts and a lot of time investment managing it.

I would recommend a buy in, prize added event that requires them to at least opt-in to your newsletter, register with your forum, etc.

Even better is create a challenge of a series of tournaments where the points winner(s) at the end of the season win something special/big prize(s).
__________________
J S

The Ron Paul Blimp is flying! History was made on December 16th, Ron Paul raised over 6 Million!


NEW - Sell my Poker Dealer Course, and How to Host a Poker Tournament Guide with ClickBank and make great CPA's paid every 2 weeks. Non-Competitive poker related products help maximize your website traffic!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-23-2007, 03:47 AM
JohnH's Avatar
JohnH JohnH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 212
Default

I have made a post about my recent free roll on my blog.
__________________
Poker Bonus Codes
Poker Articles
Heads Up Poker
Online Poker Strategy
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-23-2007, 04:50 AM
kdollar kdollar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
I have made a post about my recent free roll on my blog.
Great Post, Nice to see from a webmasters perspective about putting on a freeroll
__________________
Play online poker and get the best poker bonus codes. Find out the top online poke rooms and get daily online poker news.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
January Affiliate Tournament [email protected] Poker.com 2 01-23-2007 06:18 PM
December Affiliate Tournament [email protected] Poker.com 4 01-04-2007 08:04 PM
My Boring Tournament Story indieangler General Poker Chat 0 08-31-2006 05:36 AM
Tournament update for your members.. SunPoker.com SunPoker.com - FocalClick 0 05-16-2006 11:45 AM
ny poker tournament allyinsidecx The Spam Forum 0 11-30-2005 04:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0