Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-30-2007, 04:23 AM
TheDonk TheDonk is online now
Rebel Freedom Fighter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 205
Default Please read this article

I wrote an article I could use some input on. The Heartland Poker Tour is coming to Colorado in October and the only way to buy in is through the satellite system. So, the satellites are important obviously. I wrote a strategy article for the satellites based on the ultra-fast blind structure, # of players who advance etc., and could use some input. I want to make sure this article is helpful to as many players as possible. I'm getting a lot of hits for info on this tournament so it's important to me. This is my old, ugly site so please don't mind the layout.

Any ideas good or bad are welcomed!

Here's the link - Heartland Poker Tour Colorado - Satellite Strategy

Thank you,

TheDonk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 AM
mftpg mftpg is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Budapest, An Englishman Abroad
Posts: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to mftpg
Default

Hi Donk,

Nice article - Just a couple of thoughts on the intro and ending structures.

- Always good to have a first line that grabs some attention. Rather than going straight into the blind structures I'd be inclined to have something like 'xyz satellites are a fantastic way for players to win a $340 qualifier seat for only a small investment'...

- Next say there are 2 different levels available, introduce the 'issue' of the fast blinds. Then quickly tell them you are about to give them a strategy solution! (you have this but a little long for my taste)

- Strategy part I will not comment on, horses for courses etc etc

- At the end i'd summarize the problem, solution and re-emphasize what a great thing these satellites were, then include the 'call to action' (not too sure what this is from your article!).

To summarize my post: Grab attention, introduce issue + solution to issue in as short a way as possible.... then the '3 T's' - tell 'em what you are going to tell 'em, then tell 'em, and finally tell 'em that you told 'em... finally the call to action comes last.

Just my 2p's worth!

Cheers, Mark
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-30-2007, 02:31 PM
TheDonk TheDonk is online now
Rebel Freedom Fighter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 205
Default

Wow, thanks Mark,

Obviously you're better at this than I am, so I've got a few questions for you.-

"Next say there are 2 different levels available, introduce the 'issue' of the fast blinds. Then quickly tell them you are about to give them a strategy solution! (you have this but a little long for my taste)"

The strategy is too long, or my intro?

"At the end i'd summarize the problem, solution and re-emphasize what a great thing these satellites were, then include the 'call to action' (not too sure what this is from your article!)."

By "call to action" what do you mean? The point of the article is just to help players in these tournaments. What would a call to action be in this instance?

Thank you for your good idea's, I really appreciate it.

TheDonk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-30-2007, 03:15 PM
mftpg mftpg is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Budapest, An Englishman Abroad
Posts: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to mftpg
Default

Hey Donk,

Not an expert - just enjoy the writing and thinking about how to improve it!

Thought the strategy was fine - would probably have broken the paragraphs myself but thats a personal 'short paragraphs' preference!

I like to look at the intro this way... when someone clicks they have not yet made a committment to read the whole article, they are curious for sure - but that is it.

So, you have the first paragraph to catch their interest. I like to break this into three small parts:

1) Let them know that the material they are about to read is important or beneficial in some way... hmmm... 'Check-Raising can seriously improve your poker profits!' (as a silly example)

2) Then a catch... "check-raising is often used inappropriately - costing players money'

3) Quick Solution + Reason to read on... "This article will show you the best time to use the check-raise by looking at....xyz"

Then onto the '3T's' starting with a summary of the points you'll make in the next paragraph.

What you have is fine, it just jumps straight into the strategy / blinds issue could thus be clearer by giving people the 3 bits above:

1) The satellites are great / cheap way to qualify / fun / whatever!
2) There is an issue with them (fast blinds)
3) This article will show you how to deal with this issue by... (oulining a strategy)

- Next para then tells people the main points you will be covering in the strategy section below....

The 'call to action' that you have is to check your new site which will give away a seat... once this is ready you can change the text to 'click here now to win a free $75 seat'. Give the new visitors an opportunity to use their new found knowledge of how to beat the satellites immediately... by taking an action!

Call to action is not the easiest thing to put into an article (especially a strategy article), I often end up having to tag something onto the end - either a link to another area of the site or to a poker room...

Ah well, probably too much analysis for 1 article - hope this gets people thinking at least!!

Cheers, Mark
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-30-2007, 03:32 PM
TheDonk TheDonk is online now
Rebel Freedom Fighter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 205
Default

Great, thanks for all your input. It's not too much analysis, you've been very helpful. The points you've made can be used with any article, so the lessons are beyond just this. I'm gonna go change some things after the tourney as a number of your points are making a lot of sense to me.

Thank you!

TheDonk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-30-2007, 05:00 PM
LadyHoldem's Avatar
LadyHoldem LadyHoldem is online now
Mouthy American Girl
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 325
Send a message via MSN to LadyHoldem Send a message via Yahoo to LadyHoldem Send a message via Skype™ to LadyHoldem
Default

You say they're 'coming to' Colorado, i wonder if you couldn't make turn the article into a flyer and do some land based advertising at casinos..

PS I'm just late to get my nephew, and don't want to rush through your article, soooo i'll actually read it when i get home
__________________
I'm a WAHM (work at Home Mom), I primarily write gambling content like poker reviews, and gambling news, as of right now I'm writing about the WSOPE. You could say I'm a gambling Affiliate Webmaster I review poker portals, and I am against the US Gambling ban!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-30-2007, 07:24 PM
TheDonk TheDonk is online now
Rebel Freedom Fighter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHoldem View Post
You say they're 'coming to' Colorado, i wonder if you couldn't make turn the article into a flyer and do some land based advertising at casinos..
Hmmm...not a bad idea! I'll be up there tomorrow trying to qualify myself. I guess it's worth a try anyway. I wonder if the poker room would let me set a stack of these somewhere?

TheDonk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-2007, 02:10 AM
LadyHoldem's Avatar
LadyHoldem LadyHoldem is online now
Mouthy American Girl
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 325
Send a message via MSN to LadyHoldem Send a message via Yahoo to LadyHoldem Send a message via Skype™ to LadyHoldem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonk View Post
Hmmm...not a bad idea! I'll be up there tomorrow trying to qualify myself. I guess it's worth a try anyway. I wonder if the poker room would let me set a stack of these somewhere?

TheDonk
Don't Ask!

Apologize later they say.. noone can say no if you don't ask :P When they later tell you it wasn't ok.. apologize profusely! Promise NEVER to do it again without asking!
__________________
I'm a WAHM (work at Home Mom), I primarily write gambling content like poker reviews, and gambling news, as of right now I'm writing about the WSOPE. You could say I'm a gambling Affiliate Webmaster I review poker portals, and I am against the US Gambling ban!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article on the Poker Ban you can use on your sites Zilla The Poker Affiliate Exchange 3 10-15-2007 04:00 AM
Manual 230 Article Submission | PR3 to PR7 | Only $24.99 imteaz Web Design Service & Coding 6 04-06-2007 12:00 PM
Expectations from Affiliate Managers (New Article) Jeremy General Poker Affiliate Discussion 9 08-24-2006 03:46 AM
Free Limit Holdem Strategy Article losercore The Poker Affiliate Exchange 4 08-08-2006 08:53 AM
Article To Introduce New Players to Online Poker bankrollboost.com General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 04-09-2006 08:41 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0