Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-31-2007, 02:38 AM
TheDonk TheDonk is online now
Rebel Freedom Fighter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 205
Default

Maybe this is a better way to explain what I'm trying to say.

Let's say Xpokerroom.com is down 1 hour out of every 100 hours because of problems. To be down 1 hour every 4 days for 'problems' is actually pretty bad. But put into proper perspective, that only troubles a users experience 1% of the time. So, you don't want to write a review that gives the impression that 30, 40, or 50% of their playing experience will be bad.

Just my opinion.

TheDonk
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-31-2007, 03:42 AM
xpertadvice4u xpertadvice4u is offline
Longest Poster Ever
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 450
Default types and purposes of reviews

I think there is a difference between reasons for doing reviews, that should relate to how you generate revenue.

If you expect your revenue to be from sales of advertising, then the more traffic you can generate, the better.

My understanding is the poker rooms pay affiliates for helping to market the product....they want to see their product exposed to the market - in favorable terms....and if you do a good job, they will reward you with CPA.

It would not be in their best interests to reward somebody who is criticizing their site....

Now, if you want to be a "let it all hang out" type of reviewer, blogger, whatever....and you can parlay being "controversial" into more traffic, then you are increasing your value as a place for people to just pay for advertising space - regardless of conversions.....so, you can afford to be more "ethical/honest."
__________________
Xpertadvice4u
(MYOB&STFOM)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-31-2007, 04:16 AM
Notspot Notspot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 293
Default

This is such an interesting question.

When I first put my site up I was maybe a bit too honest in my reviews. A example would be that I found that I had played Prima for a couple of years and had consistently had problems with the Prima software overheating my laptop after a few hours of multitable play - to the point of having to put the laptop on the cold tiled floor to finish off a particularly long tourney on a number of occasions. This annoyed me so I put it in the review. Well, I received 3 emails (which is actually an avalanche for a new site) from players saying they multitabled and it had never happened to them. I wasn't sure what to do - I tested it with a brand new TOTR laptop and sure enough it crashed (through overheating) after 3 and a half hours of play. Anyhow, I removed the comment and starting getting sign-ups for that room (hadn't had any up til that point).

I still cringe when I look at that review 'cos I know it should be in there but if other players don't experience it and it stops people signing up what's the point? Am I just venting my anger at a problem that only seems to affect me?

Most of my reviews have a few of the room's bad points pointed out as I feel it builds trust. If you've played on Party for a while and know the bad points, why would you trust a site that said FTP was the bees knees if they don't mention those bad points in their party review?

As for top ten lists, people do like them, I notice from my stats that alot of visitors head for the top ten list and waddle off to FTP without reading any of the reviews. I've been under alot of pressure from a couple of rooms to put them in the No.1 spot - so they obviously understand the value of being No.1. It's a great resource for new players, who don't understand or care about the subtle differences between the rooms that we old-hats ponder over. If you just want a game of poker and you don't care where, a top ten list is great. Our top ten list is more of a personal top 10, no points system but more of a 'what order I would recommend sites to a friend'. I'd rather not have the top ten if it was just a list of who paid me the most, I'd feel I was letting people down. But maybe that's why I'm not a baller affiliate? Maybe you have to sell your soul to make the real big bucks?

I feel part of the art of running a good poker portal is balancing the need to retain your integrity (and loyal players) and encouraging people to try a new room. Or am I just being naive?
__________________
Poker Bonus Directory | The Poker Blog | Pokerstars Marketing Code
Poker Dictionary | Sit and Go Poker | Best Poker Bonus

Last edited by Notspot : 08-31-2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: removed reference to a site I no longer promote
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Darko Darko is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 256
Default

.

Last edited by Darko : 08-31-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 AM
SunPoker.com's Avatar
SunPoker.com SunPoker.com is offline
Affiliate Managers
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 618
Default

I would go the honest route but also know that when you sign up for an affiliate program, you are agreeing to help sell the poker rooms in the affiliate program. There are good and bad with all poker rooms and person's opinions vary greatly on what they believe is important to them. In YOUR opinion, clearly state the pros and cons to each of the poker rooms you promote.

Also, take the negatives and turn them into positives. Think of it like a job interview where some one asks you what your weaknesses are. For example, maybe the poker room has low traffic volume. You could point that out but also mention that they have some of the loosest games around. Something like that.

Best of luck.

Mark
__________________
SunPoker.com
Focalclick Affiliate Program
---
$1,000 Bonus Monthly
$10K Freeroll Monthly
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
bahh's Avatar
bahh bahh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 904
Default

I agree with Mark here. You gotta be selective in you reviews. One example is Full Tilt Poker which is considered to be one of the best rooms out there. If you write in your review that there are alot of sharks and tough players out there you wont attract any amateur players. Push on that they can play against the pros instead. That will attract amateur players.

Don't lie in your reviews but have in mind what target group you want to reach out to and adjust your reviews to it.
__________________
Cheap English to Swedish translations. Visit eng2swe.com or PM me!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-31-2007, 06:12 PM
PPP PPP is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,695
Default

There is no such thing as "too honest". First, there are maybe two dozen poker platforms out there. You aren't going to get the same person to sign up at all 24. It matters only a little which cardroom a person signs up at, so present them the facts, and your "expert" judgment. That is what you are poresenting yourself as, something of an expert. In the rest of the world, people don't do reviews of things they know nothing about.

If a cardroom has buggy software, you are better off saying that, and then saying because of the buggy software a lot of tougher players won't play there, making the games soft.

It isn't our job to sell these rooms. And it isn't our job at all to sell these rooms equally. Our job is to run our businesses, and the best way to be a stupid poker affiliate is to mislead players in reviews, because what that means is they sure the hell are far more unlikely to come back to your site for anything, including reccomendations about other cardrooms.

It's our job to present visitors with options of playing at online cardrooms, and information about them. Having accurate information is good for the longterm health of your domian, and theirs. Sending people somewhere where they will be unhappy with the room and pissed off at you is lousy business.

(Of course you also save yourself grief by not promoting at all shitty cardrooms at all.)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-31-2007, 06:26 PM
edmc edmc is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,089
Send a message via Yahoo to edmc
Default

There are no honest reviews, period. Unless its on a forum I will bum it up. Its all personal choice & the affiliates go with trustworthy sites from their viewpoint. Best sites to play depends a lot on your own style but you could make 5 different sites and relate them to different styles. Mark is a fantastic frontman for sunpoker. He should get snapped up by one of the bigger sites
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-31-2007, 06:41 PM
PPP PPP is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmc View Post
There are no honest reviews, period.
That's just silly talk. Please keep the thread serious.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 PM
ThePokerBank's Avatar
ThePokerBank ThePokerBank is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 328
Default

I think that you should be truthful in your opinions and reviews. I agree that when you sign up to be an affiliate, you try and help promote the room and bring in rmps. However, I find it frustrating when rooms ask to be moved up higher in the rankings on your site if you are not already affiiating with them or are affiliating but do not rank them highly.

If certain sites ask for better rankings, ask them to improve their software, support and so on, so that you can rank them better in return. Therefore when they improve as a room, you can improve their rankings. I find it insulting if a room asks me to rank them higher for the fact that they want to have more rmps through me. I belive if they want more rmps, they should badger coders for the software before their badger webmasters.

Just my 2 cents.
__________________
Free Poker Content for your site/blog
No Limit Texas Holdem Strategy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0