Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-28-2007, 01:03 AM
smackinyaup smackinyaup is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42
Default How To: Newsletters (I'm lost)

Hello again everyone,

I am totally lost with this one. I would really like to start a newsletter for my site. I thought a simple little "subscribe" box that collected e-mails would be cake.

I've done everything myself so far and have invested $0 after my initial HostMonster investment. I am only getting like 20 visitors a day at my site so I was hoping I could try out a simple mailing list without spending any money.

The ultimate goal is to get a few hundred subscribers to the list, build some forums, and then include the exciting new feature in one of my newsletters. (side question - does this sound like a decent plan to build a solid community?)

I know a lot of you have newsletters at your sites, did you just pay for Aweber or is there something I'm missing? I don't know how far I can take this site yet so I was hoping to avoid the cost of third party hosting. I tried http://www.phplist.com/, a free newsletter thing, but it's incredibly n00b-proof.

If I'm asking for the easy way out, just tell me. I sometimes feel like I'm just asking all these basic questions without really offering any awesome insights myself.

Thanks for reading!
__________________
www.beatnolimit.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-28-2007, 03:15 AM
RCNastermind RCNastermind is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 147
Default

I would spend the $20/mo on aweber. The time and hassle it saves you will be well worth the small investment.
__________________
Poker Articles
My new blog on how to be an Online Poker Pro
Join My Squidoo Group and Get a Free Link For Your Site: Rules of Poker
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-28-2007, 03:42 AM
mftpg mftpg is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Budapest, An Englishman Abroad
Posts: 86
Default

Agree that Aweber is a worthwhile investment - not tested any other autoresponders though.

Many people offer a 'carrot' of some free info to get people onto their mailing list... I've given away a SNG strategy ebook via both my blog and SNG Planet site - seems to work as the sign-ups appear on a daily basis.

Cheers, Mark
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-28-2007, 06:59 AM
bahh's Avatar
bahh bahh is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 835
Default

I'm using Inout mailing list. It costs $40 (one time fee) but it's worth it. It's easy to customize and has a great backend.
__________________
Cheap English to Swedish translations. Special deal for PAW members. Visit eng2swe.com or PM me!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Notspot Notspot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 257
Default

I'm using PHPlist and find it very good once you've got it set up (there was alot of head banging on desk when I was installing it the first time). As it's free it's especially good if you're just starting out.

My new host has Fantastico so it was just a one-click installation with them (and their support talked me through transferring the database) - have you considered contacting your host to see if they'll install it for you? It would only take an experienced techie a few minutes to get it up and running? Just a thought.
__________________
Poker Bonus Directory | The Poker Blog
Poker Dictionary | Sit and Go Poker | Best Poker Bonus
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Notspot Notspot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 257
Default

BTW, I've had numerous hacking attempts on my newsletter database, so remember to rename folders and database to something they'll never think of (the hackers seem to have bots trying to hack common and default names).
__________________
Poker Bonus Directory | The Poker Blog
Poker Dictionary | Sit and Go Poker | Best Poker Bonus
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM
smackinyaup smackinyaup is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42
Default

Interesting...thanks for the replies. I'm going to look more into each one of these options. At the very least beatnolimit.com will be a hell of a learning experience.
__________________
www.beatnolimit.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2007, 03:26 PM
ThePokerBank's Avatar
ThePokerBank ThePokerBank is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 307
Default

I bought Aweber the other week. Its pretty simple to use and install and it looks good, I'm not getting an overload of sign-ups or anything so I can't really speak too much about sending out newsletters and autoresponders and such. However, everything looks real simple and I'm looking forward to using it more in the future.
__________________
Free Poker Content for your site/blog
No Limit Texas Holdem Strategy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I lost alot When The Law Passed robertphillips General Poker Affiliate Discussion 13 07-01-2007 04:09 PM
Opt-in Newsletters kaus New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews 8 03-02-2007 05:46 PM
Seinfeld - The Lost Episode Bryan The Cocktail Lounge 1 12-04-2006 04:25 PM
Forum lost all of its PR???? Justin Search Engine Optimization 7 07-19-2006 12:09 PM
Lost comission check ?? How does Pokerroom handel epsilionflow PokerRoom.com - PokerAffiliate.com 1 05-16-2006 12:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0