Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-17-2007, 12:20 PM
absentx absentx is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 466
Default advice please, interesting question

Okay, so poker affiliating is still going okay for me, but a good opportunity has presented itself and I am going to take a shot at it.

I will be interviewing to be a DNR Game Warden next week. Obviously this is a law enforcement type position. I have a great love for the outdoors, so this would be a great job for me.

Anyways, how in the world do I include on my resume my last year of complete self employment through poker affiliation?

Leaving it off would be bad, cuz then they are going to wonder what I have done for the last year.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 PM
haynesey haynesey is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Peterborough UK
Posts: 558
Send a message via AIM to haynesey Send a message via MSN to haynesey Send a message via Skype™ to haynesey
Default

I'd definitely mention it, i can't see why people self-employed would be looked at negatively.
__________________
Poker Strategy Poker Advertising

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 PM
ResIpsa ResIpsa is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 159
Default

You ran your own online marketing business; why get into details about the specific types for products that your helped sell, unless you are asked directly (in which case I wouldn't lie)?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-17-2007, 01:20 PM
addaminsane addaminsane is offline
www.aintluck.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 176
Default

I would say that would probably be a more fullfilling job, go for it.
__________________
Poker Strategy - Online Poker Tables
Free Workout Routines (in the making)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-17-2007, 01:30 PM
RounderStaked RounderStaked is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 117
Default

I have thought about this too if I ever do enter the 9-5 world of business. I would definitely mention it, and I don't see it as a negative thing.

I've always thought of it as impressive. You've ran your own business, obviously successfully enough to live your life the way you want. It also shows a lot of skills many people lack such as discipline, leadership, initiative, etc...

You don't need to go into specifics about what industry you are in. If you are asked be honest. If you also work in other industries thats even better, tell them about it and just leave out the whole poker thing
__________________
Online Poker Bonus
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-17-2007, 03:01 PM
J S's Avatar
J S J S is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 430
Default

I would mention that you prospered in one of the most competitive affiliate markets online through hard work, self motivation, etc... provide examples and relate it to what you plan to do in the new position.

good luck, and watch out for the bears.
__________________
J S

Advocate for Online Poker Legalization - Dr. Ron Paul, Republican 2008 Presidential Candidate. Wake up and smell the revolution.

Do you run a poker league? Poker League Software provides a free automated poker leaderboard you can use. You can also Learn to Deal Poker, with our best selling online training course.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-18-2007, 08:39 AM
PokerProp PokerProp is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 665
Default

All i know about 9-5 is that it can book end a straight sometimes.

But as far as the resume goes I agree with just saying internet marketing.

When people in the real world (real as like people outside of gambling, like in church or in court etc) ask what I do for a living I tell them I invest in high risk markets and do some internet marketing.

It sounds better in these spots then saying I bet sports and promote gambling but at the same time I'm still telling the truth.
__________________
80% WPX Rakeback - Use Bonus Code WPX80
  • Add your listing for free to our Poker Directory
  • Get up to 165% Rakeback as a poker prop player
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Graham's Avatar
Graham Graham is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 888
Default

I would say online marketing on your resume and add things like SEO, Website Management, Link Building to describe it. In the interview they will probably ask you to elaborate on this, so you could say you ran a website around your hobby of playing poker. You could say you started it for fun, and eventually realized that you could make money from selling advertising space to poker sites. I would avoid saying that you were getting a percentage of what the players generated (if you do MGR). I don't think it will go much beyond that.
__________________
*** Advertising Offer: Let Me Review Your Sites ***

Free Poker Money - Poker Babes - Poker Videos - Poker News - Poker Affiliate Tips

"Good things come to those who wait, but only the things left over by those who hustle."
- President Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question concerning non-US citizens playing out of US smit2685 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 04-10-2007 05:20 PM
Newbie question icasinoreview New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews 8 03-24-2007 10:36 AM
Legallity Question aussiepoker General Poker Affiliate Discussion 16 01-14-2007 06:39 PM
Running My first freeroll-Have a question greview New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews 2 08-06-2006 05:09 PM
Hello // Full Tilt Conversion Question PKing General Poker Affiliate Discussion 2 05-23-2005 05:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0