| The Cocktail Lounge Cocktail Lounge |
 01-02-2007, 11:00 AM
|
|
The up and comer
|
|
Join Date: May 2005
Location: C-bus
Posts: 506
|
|
laptop help needed
I have an external harddrive that I back up my laptop files onto, and I have no clue how to get the files back onto my laptop. The laptop died the toher day, and I had to restore everything back to the beginning, but now I dont know how to put the old stuff back on. Let me know if you have any experience with this....I need help!
-Justin
__________________
JustinGoff.com
NEW GOAL - $15,000 per month by December 31st
September - $5,200 net income
|
 01-02-2007, 04:58 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 162
|
|
Did windows recognize it when you plugged it into your laptop?
If so, just send the files to a folder, such as my documents.
|
 01-02-2007, 07:38 PM
|
|
Senior Member
|
|
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mad City USA
Posts: 1,281
|
|
How were you backing up? Were just coping the files over like copy-paste or did you use software to do a backuo and now have a file called .bak or something on your external?
No big deal just gotta know how you did it.
__________________
"Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished. "
But while playing online poker at Full Tilt Poker I use a Full Tilt Bonus Code to get a sign up deposit bonus. Duh!
|
 01-02-2007, 08:56 PM
|
|
The up and comer
|
|
Join Date: May 2005
Location: C-bus
Posts: 506
|
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by losercore
How were you backing up? Were just coping the files over like copy-paste or did you use software to do a backuo and now have a file called .bak or something on your external?
No big deal just gotta know how you did it.
|
I used software. I no longer have the instructions so I can't even look up how to do it. It's a portable harddrive that you buy at Staples, and I just used the program that it came with.
__________________
JustinGoff.com
NEW GOAL - $15,000 per month by December 31st
September - $5,200 net income
|
 01-03-2007, 08:49 PM
|
|
Senior Member
|
|
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mad City USA
Posts: 1,281
|
|
Well that can be an issue. What type of file did it create as a backup? Is it a .bak. If so you are in luck. If not you will need to install the software that cam with it and it should have a restore option. A lot of hardrives come with Nero as a back up program and it's not good at all because you have to have the same software and dothing just right.
Let me know what type of file it is and if you want you can PM me your email and I will be happy to help.
I deal with this stuff everyday in my fulltime job.
__________________
"Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished. "
But while playing online poker at Full Tilt Poker I use a Full Tilt Bonus Code to get a sign up deposit bonus. Duh!
|
 01-04-2007, 05:14 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 784
|
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by losercore
Well that can be an issue. What type of file did it create as a backup? Is it a .bak. If so you are in luck. If not you will need to install the software that cam with it and it should have a restore option. A lot of hardrives come with Nero as a back up program and it's not good at all because you have to have the same software and dothing just right.
Let me know what type of file it is and if you want you can PM me your email and I will be happy to help.
I deal with this stuff everyday in my fulltime job.
|
I am curious...what do you think s the BEST and most efficient way of backing up to an external drive?
What software ( if any ) do you recommend?( that doesnt create a proprietary data file).
Right now i just cut and paste, id like to find something that will auto backup... optimally just data that has changed.
__________________
RakeKiller... its your money, get some back
Poker Rakeback Calculator
Are YOU a player?
|
 01-04-2007, 09:53 AM
|
|
Senior Member
|
|
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mad City USA
Posts: 1,281
|
|

Just backing up to an external I feel that a simple copy and paste using the same directory structure works best.
If you want it automated and to only backup files that have been changed since the last backup and have features like this; there are plenty of software choices out there. You can even just use Windows XP/2000 as they have a program called NTbackup built into the OS. It's not the best with features but it's free. it can do archives and check files for dates they were edited vs's backedup and all that.
For most homw/small business (less than 5 employees) can get by just fine with the copy and paste method. I feel it works with the least effort and less chance of mistakes by any software.
Symantic (Norton) just purchased a well known program called AutoBackup Exec. It will run a single user about $1,000 and is a pain in the ass to install and set up if you are not used to this stuff.
That's the problem with most BK software. They have too many features and this just makes it harder.
Hope this helps.
__________________
"Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished. "
But while playing online poker at Full Tilt Poker I use a Full Tilt Bonus Code to get a sign up deposit bonus. Duh!
|
 01-04-2007, 04:45 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 784
|
|
This may seem like a simplistic question:
Is there a correct method of cut and paste, or a more efficient method than not?
I.E can i just copy the current folder and just paste it to the back up so that it overwrites everything and adds what is new?
Say i dont/cant keep track of all the changes in different folders...I.E pictures and music...do i have to search through and find what is new.
I dont want to rewrite 25 gig of music and 5 gig of pictures everytime i backup just because i dont know ex\actley what has changed.
Know what i mean?
__________________
RakeKiller... its your money, get some back
Poker Rakeback Calculator
Are YOU a player?
|
 01-04-2007, 04:51 PM
|
|
Poker Player & Promoter
|
|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bocas Del Toro, Panama
Posts: 329
|
|
Quick, Easy, & Free Backup software, works really well.
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
A couple other must have pieces of software in my opinion:
http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp
http://www.evernote.com/en/
and of course roboform, link in my sig, I think I make like a buck for every trial (maybe less), don't really care about the money, but hey it's free. I've been using roboform for 3 years, and literally use it every single day.
Jason
__________________
Promote Poker | Poker Blog - "I'm Not Lucky, I have Good Karma!"
"Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty." Leo Rosten (1908- )
|
 01-09-2007, 11:38 AM
|
|
Senior Member
|
|
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mad City USA
Posts: 1,281
|
|

Quote:
|
Originally Posted by CAZ
This may seem like a simplistic question:
Is there a correct method of cut and paste, or a more efficient method than not?
I.E can i just copy the current folder and just paste it to the back up so that it overwrites everything and adds what is new?
Say i dont/cant keep track of all the changes in different folders...I.E pictures and music...do i have to search through and find what is new.
I dont want to rewrite 25 gig of music and 5 gig of pictures everytime i backup just because i dont know ex\actley what has changed.
Know what i mean?
|
Hey Caz,
GoodKarma has some good options there. The problem with large data like music is that yes if you use the cut and paste method you will overwite all exsisitng data and I know the feeling of overwritting 20+ gigs sucks.
That's why software exsists. Check out what GoodKarma posted as they seem good. Also you can look into NTBackup. Just click "run" from your start menu and type in ntbackup and press enter. (Win 2000 and XP Pro only) Won't work with Home edition.
NTbackup does not worl well over a network but works great with external/second hard drives.

__________________
"Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished. "
But while playing online poker at Full Tilt Poker I use a Full Tilt Bonus Code to get a sign up deposit bonus. Duh!
Last edited by losercore : 01-09-2007 at 12:03 PM.
|
| Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests) |
| |
|
Thread Tools
|
|
|
|
Display Modes
|
Linear Mode
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is On
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.
|