| Search Engine Optimization Better rankings in the search engines mean more money in our bank accounts. Share tips and strategies for SEO here. |
 09-28-2006, 12:17 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6
|
|
Nofollow tag on your affiliate links?
I would like to know how many of you use a 'nofollow' tag on all of your links to the poker rooms?
I see that most people, at least the big sites (pokernews, pokerlistings, macpokeronline, etc...) direct these links to internal pages that then redirect to the appropriate room. Do they use a nofollow on these internal pages?
Will this help wrt SEO purposes. i.e. will google look more favorably on your site if they don't see links that are affiliate related?
Also, do you use the nofollow tag on your main pages, or only on the page that houses the redirect?
Mark
__________________
http://www.VegasPokerPro.com
|
 09-28-2006, 08:33 AM
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 1,039
|
|
Im in the process of converting all my links over to internal pages that are blocked by robots.txt.
I do not currently have no follow on the internal pages (very good question VPP)
__________________
Human edited Poker Directory Add your links!
Looking for the Best Online Poker Site?
Poker Freerolls Updated Daily! | Read the latest Poker News
Use our Carbon Poker Bonus Code or our Cake Poker Bonus Code
Check out our listing of current Poker Bonus Codes and Online Casino Bonus Codes
Carbon Poker Bonus | Poker Bonus Codes Online | Online Casino Bonus Directory | Casino Captain
|
 09-28-2006, 06:38 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,695
|
|
Nofollow doesn't do anything SEO-wise other than it is good to tag links to domains that are penalized or otherwise have a "bad" reputation. You'll have to decide for yourself if any/some/all the cardrooms qualify or not.
Linking to internal pages is just a way to count clicks, so not really related to anything else.
|
 09-28-2006, 06:48 PM
|
|
Affiliate Manager - Moderator
|
|
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,176
|
|
PPP, does it conserve Pagerank by having less outgoing links?
__________________
Brandon Berndt
Affiliate Program Director
ChanPoker.com
ChanPoker Affiliate Program *NOW LIVE*
Skype: BrandonBerndt
Msn:
AIM: BrandonBerndt
|
 09-29-2006, 02:39 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,695
|
|
It doesn't do anything to conserve pagerank. It is still a link. It doesn't pass pagerank to the other site, but you don't get to "keep" it. That would defeat the whole point.
|
 09-29-2006, 02:45 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 273
|
|
I have all my affiliate links set up in separate .html documents, as I am anal about W3C HTML Validation  They're all in separate directories(sitename.com/casino/golden-palace-casino.html) etc, and I just used HTAccess to tell the robots to skip em. It made it a lot easier for me to track what affiliate links actually get clickthroughs too, where from etc.
__________________
Dealer Dan
Owner of the Dealer Dan Gaming Network. Read my article on how to Target and Profit from Freeroll Whores! Also free mentoring to new affiliates; PM me for details. Be sure to check out the Poker Affiliate Bible
|
 10-06-2006, 01:35 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 574
|
|
So if I'm understanding this correctly:
I first setup a page, for examples /pokerroom.asp
Then I make this page redirect to my affiliate link
Then all the places on my site that I currently have an affiliate link to pokerroom.com I link to this new page.
This right?
Thanks,
SmackDog
__________________
Gambling Strategy Guide - Submit your gambling strategy guides which may contain back links to your gambling web sites.
Online Poker Leagues | Poker Satellite Tournaments | iPhone Mobile Mob | Poker RakeBack Offers
|
 10-07-2006, 08:30 AM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 142
|
|
Yes, that is correct
__________________
Pokermonger
Online Slots
|
 10-11-2006, 02:57 PM
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 1,576
|
|
Don't use the no follow tag. If you are using it, Google thinks that you don't trust the site that you are linking to and don't want to give them the link "vote."
Think of it this way... why the hell would you "vote" for somebody that you don't trust?
As for internal pages, I highly recommend it. If the shit hits the fan or you need to change all your links to a new tracker, you can do it from just a couple files, and not have to change hundreds of links.
Major time saver.
__________________
Play mac poker and mac casino games, and read poker articles at online poker mac.
|
 10-22-2006, 08:44 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 132
|
|
I agree - I use one folder blocked by robots.txt and direct all my internal links there. In that folder each of the affiliate links has its own page which redirects and has analytics code. Makes life easy. Don't know about SEO, etc... but I could never keep track of all my affiliate links otherwise.
__________________
_____________________________________________
Mac Poker News, Mac Poker Forums Boot Camp Poker and Parallels Poker
|
| Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests) |
| |
|
Thread Tools
|
|
|
|
Display Modes
|
Linear Mode
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is On
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.
|