Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:11 PM
BradleyJ BradleyJ is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11
Default

Hello All,

I'm assuming that most of you use Frontpage or Dreamweaver or outside pros to create your sites - however do any of you use online software that lends itself to simple content addition, changes, RSS Feeds, E-Book Shopping Cart.

I've used professional web designers in the past for different projects but updates and revisions are always a pain in the A$$ and expensive. Can somebody help a brother out?

SIDE NOTE: I am NOT looking for software that only offers cheesy templates better suited for grandmothers who want to post pictures of their cats.

Thanks

Bradley
__________________
Bradley J

[url=http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=yM3*vcj0PTY&offerid=18758.10000002&amp ;type=1&subid=0" Access to Over 500 Affliate Programs[/URL]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Randy
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Bradley-

I think learning to use Frontpage is probably worth the effort. If you can handle a word processing program, you can probably handle Frontpage too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2005, 06:36 AM
bigboy bigboy is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 194
Default

I have to agree with Randy. I got Frontpage, and had never used any web design software prior to this. It was relatively easy to learn - and people here have been great about answering questions. It's worth the effort - and it could save you lots of money that you might have sent to professional designers...
__________________

Words to remember: You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2005, 12:33 PM
MrMcGee's Avatar
MrMcGee MrMcGee is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 143
Default

As mentioned, your best and cheapest option is to learn frontpage or dreamweaver yourself. There really aren't (at least that I know of) any applications out there that make developing websites any easier.

Another option is to work with a company who can deploy a content management system (CMS) for you. You'll still need to know basic HTML to be able to update the site yourself (a task that should be simple with a CMS), but they take care of the challenging part: the site design, and implementation of the CMS.

If this is something you'd be interested in looking into further, send me a PM to discuss.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Flopster Flopster is offline
Promoting since 2004
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 321
Default

Do a google search for frontpage tutorials. I know when I started out I found a lot of basic, understandable help that way. Sorry I don't know the urls anymore, or I'd point you in the right direction.
__________________
A rolling stone gathers no moss.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2005, 01:31 PM
CAZ's Avatar
CAZ CAZ is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 784
Default

I was in the same boat that you are. I tried a number of WYSYWIG( what you see is what you get) web page editors. I settled on Frontpage because it had what appeared to be the easiest learning curve.
Over the course of the last year i have become fairly proficient in frontpage my site, BUT in hindsite wish i had taken a bit more time tryng to learn Dreamweaver. I like frontpage, but have learned that it is a bit prorietary and has a tendancy to "bloat" html code.
I have also since learned a bit more about content managment type programs...I.E PHPnuke platinum, which i think i am going to try to use for one of my upcoming sites.
All that said, frontpage did help me learn more about html code by web design( trial and error) and a good resourse for me was here for speciffic frontpage issues...
So, be prepsared to want to know more about webdesign once you start doing it, and in that vein, take path that lends itself to making you as versitile as possible.

OutFront forums
and here for more general knowledge regarding all aspects ...

WebmasterWorld

As far as content managment software...i havent found a catchall, let me know fo you do. Regardless the more original content you add the better and a software program cant do that for you.

Bottom line...there is no "EASY" way other than paying someone, and if you want quality, it can be pricey. There are a couple folks here who do some good work for decent prices, but i promise you you will want to be able to design,and manage the site and make changes yourself. If you are doing this as a means of creating a decent income you need to learn how to do it yourself
__________________
RakeKiller... its your money, get some back
Poker Rakeback Calculator
Are YOU a player?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2005, 01:52 PM
GregK GregK is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,175
Default

I started out w/CoffeeCup back in'99 & eventually switched to a plain text editor.
(luckily, some old-timers got ahold of me & taught me the evils of Frontpage lol)

http://www.coffeecup.com/html-editor/

Its come a long ways since then & has dragndrop WYSIWYG or plain text, handcoding view.

Avoid FP at all costs!
Quote:
but have learned that it is a bit prorietary and has a tendancy to "bloat" html code.
"a bit proprietary" & "tendancy to bloat" are 2 of the biggest understatements I've seen posted here.

Actually, since you are all in reality my competition. I wish all of you would use FP lol
__________________
RAKEnBAKE - Smokin RakeBack Deals!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-24-2005, 05:21 AM
CAZ's Avatar
CAZ CAZ is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 784
Default

Took a look at the coffecup product. Looks interesting, know how i could try it out?
I really do want to move away from FP
__________________
RakeKiller... its your money, get some back
Poker Rakeback Calculator
Are YOU a player?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-24-2005, 09:10 AM
bigboy bigboy is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 194
Default

Does the "code bloat" affect a spider's ability to determine page content? Or have a negative effect in other ways? I'm thinking of switching to CSS, which would solve that problem anyway, I suppose.
__________________

Words to remember: You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2005, 09:58 AM
JasonD JasonD is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 79
Default

Another WYSIWYG option is Nvu.

It's an open source application for Windows, Linux, and Macintosh.

http://www.nvu.com/

Jason
__________________
Unleash the Better Poker Game Hidden Within You and Learn How to Crush Your Competition Right Now!

http://www.betterpokergame.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Affiliate Business Management Software / Custom PHP & Site Development ArthurD Websites & Domains For Sale 9 04-17-2007 05:43 PM
Poker League Software Updates J S PokerLeagueSoftware.com 0 10-31-2006 11:50 AM
Statistical Tracking and direct odds software? hoursurfing General Poker Affiliate Discussion 4 07-14-2006 11:20 PM
Best Forum Software GoodKarmaKid General Poker Affiliate Discussion 5 12-01-2005 08:22 PM
Web Design Software Four2Eight Feet General Poker Affiliate Discussion 4 03-16-2005 06:14 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0