Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-23-2007, 03:45 PM
mikebrad mikebrad is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 473
Default Need some advice

I could have posted this in the SEO section but it's more of a personal decision and I wanted everyone's opinion first.

So I have this website, actually my first website. It's over 2 years old and is doing pretty good in the serps but it was my first website and there are a few flaws with it.

Namely:
It's too hard to update content, there is no templating system or cms.
It's ugly by today's standards

I built a custom template and hired someone to do a new logo and I want to put it all on a fairly smooth cms. However, I'm a little aprehensive about doing this. The urls will not match up, so I will have to redirect them all.

What do you think the fallout would be from redirecting 200 indexed pages? The main page ranks for terms like "poker sites", etc. Would this trigger the phantom sandbox, causing me to lose everything?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Graham's Avatar
Graham Graham is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,035
Default

I can't comment exactly on your situation, but a long time ago I redirected all of the pages on my site. I was worried about a similar fallout, but it actually worked out that the new pages were ranking much better. It is a risk, but you could always test a few pages at a time and see how it goes first before doing the whole site.
__________________
*** Advertising Offer: Let Me Review Your Sites ***

Free Poker Money - Poker Babes - Poker Videos - Poker News - Poker Affiliate Tips

"Good things come to those who wait, but only the things left over by those who hustle."
- President Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-23-2007, 04:42 PM
mikebrad mikebrad is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 473
Default

yeah, I was thinking about doing that but I'm pretty sure I'd have to install the cms in a subfolder to do that.

I'm thinking that in the long run, I need to do this. My urls are not the best anyway. For example: ultimate bet review page is ub.html.

Thanks for the advice Graham.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-24-2007, 04:29 AM
Itay Itay is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 52
Default

ugly or not ugly - it is all about content...
__________________
Itay
------------------------------------------------------------

For B4Playing's Multiple CPA Commission Affiliate Program (up to $1000 from one player CPA)
Register here: http://affiliates.b4playing.com

We have launched!!! To download our client for free: www.b4playing.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-24-2007, 06:21 AM
mftpg mftpg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Budapest, An Englishman Abroad
Posts: 98
Send a message via Yahoo to mftpg
Default

**not an expert disclaimer**

Went through almost exactly what you describe, albeit with a newer site, back in August following some grest feedback / advice from people here at PAW.

Basically the only thing that stayed was the content, re-did the URL structures (from root right through to articles), the design and everything else.

Experience was that the SERPS hit was big but temporary - took about 10 days for the new URLs to come into the rankings and maybe another couple of weeks before the old ones stopped appearing... has been onwards and upwards ever since - a risk in some ways but with hindsight worth it 100%.

We tried re-directs but never got them working properly. With these in addition you should do even better!

Cheers, Mark
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worst SEO Advice? Randy Search Engine Optimization 66 11-18-2007 12:05 PM
HELP!! Site Review & Advice Much Needed Smoovasbird New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews 12 08-19-2007 11:55 AM
need a webmaster to design/setup sports betting advice site ILLGeTuOnTiLT Web Design Q&A 5 08-11-2007 11:25 PM
Any mentors out there - will sub for beer. . and advice wertwert General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 06-19-2006 04:38 PM
Advice on Program Team PFT General Poker Affiliate Discussion 0 06-15-2006 08:52 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0