Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums

Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums (http://www.pokeraffiliateworld.com/forums/)
-   General Poker Affiliate Discussion (http://www.pokeraffiliateworld.com/forums/general-poker-affiliate-discussion/)
-   -   Top 25 Mistakes by new Affiliates (http://www.pokeraffiliateworld.com/forums/general-poker-affiliate-discussion/1247-top-25-mistakes-new-affiliates.html)

muchmoney 06-21-2005 09:35 PM

My big Mistake(s)

I got a bunch of friends and co-workers to sign up.
Then did a small off line marketing campaign.
received two big bonuses for signing up more
RMPs than the previous month.

Got all psyched about making $500-1000 a month with out
any more work.

So I didn't do any more marketing, never made a
website and most of my sign ups lost all their money
and don't want to play any more or got sign up
bonuses from other sites.

had my worst month in may $80 and on my way
to making $50 this month.

muchmoney 06-21-2005 09:37 PM

Also I never made an avatar for Party Riches.

lol

Dave 06-21-2005 10:00 PM

Wow, great idea for a thread Jeremy.

Janet your post sure brings back a lot of memories for me. Great advice.

Here's a list of newbie mistakes I've been guilty of not just promoting
poker but with affiliate marketing in general.

I've spend thousands of hours(five years part-time) researching ways to build
successful affiliate websites and make money on the internet and still
consider myself somewhat of a newbie, this is a complex endeavor and the
rules keep on changing so that I learn something new about the business everyday.

Ask yourself these questions.

1. Am I building something of value? Am I helping my site visitors with information
that is unique in some way that they can't find anywhere else.

"Hey I love playing at PartyPoker and so will you!!... here's my bonus code..... type of site reviews don't count as unique content.

It maybe original but it's certainly not unique.

You have to offer something unique to stand out from the crowd....... and poker sites are a big crowd.

Pick a poker niche and build on that for starters, don't try to be everything poker for every poker player out there.

The niche I picked for my little poker site was teaching beginners how to win at low limit, limit holdem up to $5-$10. That's what I usually play...... that's what I"m good at....... that's what I like to write and talk about.

I've built a repore though emails and other means with players who share my passion for that game.

Your niche maybe Omaha Hi-Low, Seven Card, No-limit Holdem, the history of the "World Series of Poker" the "World Poker Tour", bio's of famous poker players, chip tricks....... when you're just starting out focus all of your energy on just one little poker niche.

Pick one poker niche that you are very passionate about and focus on that.

You could easily be making $500 a month, or more, if you built the most popular, informative and fun "chip trick' site on the internet. A lot of people search for this kind of info.

With a little creative shop-talk you could get skads of sign ups at the online poker rooms.....your biggest money maker by far.... and sell chips, cards, poker tables and poker books on the side.

My point is if you're just starting out, pick your favorite poker niche.... build on it until your making $500 an month............ and by then you'll know what you're doing and will be ready to tackle the more competitve niches and go after the big money.

It wont take that long...... I was making over $500 in my second month...... but this business has gotten a bit more competitive since them....... it might take the average person three months to get to the $500 level.......after that the sky''s the limit....$1000......$5000.....$10,000?

Pay attention to Jeremy's number one on his list:

Quote:

1. Expecting too much way too soon

2. Failing to capture my visitors email address.

If you can get them to sign up to your newsletter or stay in touch with your visitors in some way..... you gain a customer who trusts you. Someone you can market to over and over again. Future money in the bank.

I am so guilty of this.

Jeremy subscribes to my newsletter....... When was the last time you recieved my newsletter J? :rolleyes: I need to work on that. Much money lost because of my procrastination....... especially during WSOP time.

3. Test...Test....Test

You need to know how people are finding your site, what link from a search engine , directory or other site refered them, what keyword they used, how they navigate through your site, what pages they are reading and for how long, what banners or text links are they clicking on........ if you don't know.....how can you make improvements?

Use some kind of tracking that gives you this information. It's built right in to SBI hey EDBankz.

StatCounter is an other good one for newbies.

4. And my #1 Advice To Newbies

Stop reading this and get to work!

When I first started out I spent most of my time hanging out in places like this looking for the magic answers. I stayed up until 4 AM day after day just reading and dreaming. $$$$$$

I see a lot of that happening here...... you know who you are........ I wont mention any names....... Making any money yet?

I too am guilty of this lately and I should know better.


You'll be amazed at how much you can accomplish without so many distractions.

PPP 06-22-2005 12:17 AM

Spamming

Copying content

Not showing enough respect to your visitors/customers

Generally acting like you need to make all your money by a week from now or you'll die

bfuchs 06-22-2005 12:24 AM

Working with friends that expect too much. One lesson is be careful when partnering with friends, it can ruin a friendship as money often does.
--------
I think #1 biggest mistake is not cultivating a relationship with your affiliate manager. Your affiliate manager is in charge of getting you a higher MGR and offers for bonuses on top of affiliate revenue. Also if something goes awry your affiliate manager will be there to back you up.

Ezekiel 06-22-2005 04:10 AM

I think promoting too many sites at once is a good one, I would pick one or two and stick to it.

My two are Noble Poker for CPA (to get started, was a ncie way to get some startup capital).

And PartyPoker, which has pretty good bonuses and retainability.

I'm looking for a mentor. Shoot me an email =D


Ezekiel

richardb 06-22-2005 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bfuchs@Jun 22 2005, 01:24 AM
Working with friends that expect too much. One lesson is be careful when partnering with friends, it can ruin a friendship as money often does.

Business and friends should rarely mix. It usually results in a disaster.

texignweb 06-22-2005 02:29 PM

You HAVE to try to upgrade your origanal commission. It's worth the try and the rarely say 'no'. Set a goal, tell your affiliate manager if you get X number or RMP's or $X's in revenue you would like $X for CPA or X% MGR but not in that order. Work WITH or affiliate manager and not AGAINST him. Your affiliate manager is a very very valuable tool and he is paid to help you succeed.

adioking 06-22-2005 06:20 PM

I vote to sticky this EXTREMELY useful thread! Can I get a second?

Randy 06-22-2005 06:21 PM

Done.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0