Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2007, 05:06 AM
PKing PKing is offline
Members
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 85
Default The Digg Effect

I don't talk all that much in this forum (I'm kind of shy) but yesterday we were hit by a full-fledged Digg hurricane and I thought that it would be interesting to write about it, as I've never been on the front page of Digg before. This is for Poker-king.com.

I wrote an article about the Absolute Poker situation a few nights ago. About a day and a half later, I was looking through my logs and noticed that we were starting to get quite a few clickthroughs from Digg. Someone had submitted our article in the Technology section, and we were climbing fast.

We are hosted through a really small web host that we have been with for years. I emailed them and said, you better get ready, cause there is a stampede of traffic coming. They responded in five minutes and said, we've removed all of your quotas, we're ready.

About five minutes later, we were on the front page of Digg, story #1. Our traffic went absolutely bananas. I was pretty worried about the site not being able to handle it. I programmed every line of the site, and started worrying about it breaking down under the crush of traffic that was now hitting the site.

While it was cool to be on Digg, I had mixed emotions because:

1) I was really worried about the site crashing, which would be embarrassing.

2) The story was more than a day and a half old.

3) I wrote the story when I was tired, and it wasn't my best work.

Anyways, the site mainly held up (it was down for about 10 minutes due to too many MySQL connections at once.)

Before the Digg, we had 450 URL's that had sent us at least 1 visitor so far this month. Two days later, it's at almost 1100 (1095 to be exact).

Here is our traffic for the two days prior to the Digg, and then the two days after that, including the Digg. You have Visitors, Page Views, Hits, and Bandwidth:

15 Oct 2007 2151 4804 87364 663.92 MB
16 Oct 2007 2698 6659 109361 801.69 MB
17 Oct 2007 20052 108829 2457999 15.90 GB
18 Oct 2007 19650 35793 843253 5.49 GB

Just thought that this might be interesting to some people, I had never been Dugg before, ever. I was just really, really lucky that I had noticed that we were climbing fast on Digg, or else the site would have gone down for sure.
__________________
Poker King
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-19-2007, 05:22 AM
PPP PPP is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,705
Default

The visitors to gigs comparison of the 17th to 18th is odd... same traffic and three times the pageviews and gigs?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2007, 05:23 AM
GregK GregK is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,298
Default

I saw you at #10, then #5 about a 1/2hr later.

Nice appreciate the stats too. 15+ G's in a day lol
__________________
RakeBack
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2007, 05:26 AM
PKing PKing is offline
Members
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 85
Default

I thought the same thing PPP. I have no way to explain it.
__________________
Poker King
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Randy Randy is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,530
Default

What happened to your average visitor time on site? When I made the homepage of Digg, it was something like 5 or 10 seconds on average. (I never made it with a gambling article, btw.)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:27 PM
Brandon's Avatar
Brandon Brandon is offline
Affiliate Manager - Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,186
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Send a message via MSN to Brandon Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon
Default

Have you seen any increase in revenue from the digg traffic? I know many people complain that digg is useless traffic because the visitors are hit n go type readers.

Congrats btw!
__________________
Brandon Berndt
Affiliate Program Director
ChanPoker.com
ChanPoker Affiliate Program *NOW LIVE*
Skype: BrandonBerndt
Msn:
AIM: BrandonBerndt
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2007, 03:55 PM
PKing PKing is offline
Members
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 85
Default

Randy - Our pages per visitor dropped dramatically (I can assume that most people just visited the Dugg article and left) so I can only assume that the time on the site dropped big time as well.

Brandon - Every banner but one on our site is on a paid advertising deal (pre-paid) so we won't notice any difference in revenues.

The value to us will come in the increased backlinks that we have picked up (something like 700-800 now). Hopefully this will increase our strength in the SERP's and increase our daily traffic numbers.
__________________
Poker King
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-19-2007, 04:03 PM
AceHigh Pino's Avatar
AceHigh Pino AceHigh Pino is offline
The Constant Learner
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 542
Send a message via AIM to AceHigh Pino Send a message via MSN to AceHigh Pino Send a message via Yahoo to AceHigh Pino
Default

Great work again P-King....the Digg assassin, lol.
__________________
"Givin much thanks to all the hustlers, and most importantly YOU, the customer" - Jay Z
  • Casino Arizona Poker Tournaments
  • Arizona Poker Forums
4Flush Gambling News Writer - Independent Freelancer (PM For Rates)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Kyle Kyle is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,079
Default

I went to Digg to submit Enke's blog yesterday but saw yours and dugg it. Congrats on the achievement.

And sure, Digg traffic might not convert real well for poker players but now you have a lot more backlinks which will help the overall equation in better rankings.
__________________
Affiliate Marketing Blog

Last edited by Kyle : 10-19-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: to edit ;)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Randy Randy is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,530
Default

The increase in backlinks is a BIG plus. Some of the backlinks you'll get from that (and have no doubt already gotten) are really awesome. Congrats, man.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Joined Digg! Friends Anyone? addaminsane Digg Circle 4 10-26-2007 04:48 PM
Please digg it, i can digg for you too imteaz Digg Circle 7 05-22-2007 12:55 AM
Kyle, digg homepage.....again Jeremy General Poker Affiliate Discussion 8 05-20-2007 02:24 PM
DIGG Frenzy, Insane. JohnG The Cocktail Lounge 7 05-02-2007 08:12 AM
Digg Us....on the homepage of Digg Jeremy General Poker Affiliate Discussion 9 01-04-2007 08:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0