I think the deposit methods just need to be simple and easy with no middle man. All rooms should do like Bodog or even Fulltilt now days and get a decent payment processor that can allow most credit and debit cards. I know it is difficult as an operator, but it IS possible.
The most important statement in this post - - - -
Big players will not "jump through hoops" to deposit at a new or small room, nor will they play when it takes 3 weeks for a withdrawal.
However, most will agree that a large % of online poker players depositing the minimums at a new site will never withdrawal. So the withdrawal method is not as important initially.
So for your more serious player that does withdrawal on a regular basis, and subsequently rakes a large amount, I think rooms have to have a very easy and hassle free option (both deposit and withdrawal). The players (pro's) that will rake the most amount of money are more concerned with their withdrawals than the deposits. So here is where the importance of the withdrawal method comes in.
The easiest methods in my opinion are either bank wire or check.....and (cheque's) for our UK friends
If I were the average player I would think the easiest way to do it would be to deposit with my debit or credit card and cash out via check or bank wire, with no third parties involved.
My thought is that in the state of the market right now, most players deposit methods are very different than their withdrawal methods........ this is the major problem that most room are not seeing. Think about it, if I deposit $500 on my CC and cash out $3k, do I really want that going back to my CC.....no.
Also great idea for a post Greg. Good discussion topic.