Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews
  #1  
Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 AM
xpertadvice4u xpertadvice4u is offline
Longest Poster Ever
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 449
Default phpBB Backup

I am totally ignorant about many things, phpBB is one of them.

I was able to get a backup of one of the BB sites I bought.
I went into the Admin area, and did backup, and got zipped files which I downloaded.

What can I do with these?

Does this backup contain everything needed to reproduce the site?
or at least the forum part of it (that was all that was decent in the first place).?

Can I use this backup now to recreate the site on a different server, by loading it into a new Mysql database?

Is there anyone willing to help me with this?
__________________
Xpertadvice4u
(MYOB&STFOM)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 AM
geoffvro's Avatar
geoffvro geoffvro is offline
Retired Billionaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Does this backup contain everything needed to reproduce the site? or at least the forum part of it (that was all that was decent in the first place).?
Yes and No.

It will allow you to restore the topics, posts, members, etc... but it does not backup any of the actual phpbb files, avatars or attachments. You'll have to have the orignal template files that were in the phpbb forum directory to do that.

Basically... the backup will not restore the "appearance" of the forum, it will still retain the look of the current default theme.

as always, just my two cents
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 AM
geoffvro's Avatar
geoffvro geoffvro is offline
Retired Billionaire
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 98
Default

double post

Last edited by geoffvro : 06-13-2007 at 02:35 AM. Reason: double posted
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2007, 01:48 PM
xpertadvice4u xpertadvice4u is offline
Longest Poster Ever
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 449
Default confusing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffvro View Post
Yes and No.

It will allow you to restore the topics, posts, members, etc... but it does not backup any of the actual phpbb files, avatars or attachments. You'll have to have the orignal template files that were in the phpbb forum directory to do that.

Basically... the backup will not restore the "appearance" of the forum, it will still retain the look of the current default theme.

as always, just my two cents
If I did a complete backup (according to the choices, not just structure etc.) how could it NOT backup what you call "actual phpbb files"???

Are you saying that there are also html type documents which will be in the phpforum directory/folder which I will not be able to get?

Sounds like it.
I was trying to figure out where all the customization of colors and content takes place within the site....couldn't find it....I guess that is why.

On one of the sites, there is no section for "Mod management" or Mod history....nothing at all.

On the other one, there is nothing for Profile management i.e. determining what info is on the user profiles, I guess.

Are these significant problems?...i.e. that render the sites useless?
or are there simple fixes?
__________________
Xpertadvice4u
(MYOB&STFOM)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM
jagan jagan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: India
Posts: 27
Send a message via AIM to jagan Send a message via MSN to jagan Send a message via Yahoo to jagan
Default

You need backup of

- PHPbb all PHp files
- Mysql database backup
__________________
Jagan
One Way Link Building = 6USD Per Link for PR2 to PR4 Link
1500 Directory Submission Package
Complete Web Design Services
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phpbb hosting Holyman Web Design Q&A 10 07-13-2007 11:52 PM
Phpbb forums kaus Web Design Q&A 10 04-19-2007 11:04 AM
Phpbb or vbulliten the27offsuit.com General Poker Affiliate Discussion 16 11-01-2006 05:28 PM
PHPBB SEO MAGIC! Godfather The Poker Affiliate Exchange 0 11-13-2005 10:49 AM
Banner Manager in PHPBB Jeremy General Poker Affiliate Discussion 3 10-26-2005 12:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0