Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > Search Engine Optimization

Search Engine Optimization Better rankings in the search engines mean more money in our bank accounts. Share tips and strategies for SEO here.

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-19-2006, 10:51 PM
themike537's Avatar
themike537 themike537 is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 244
Default Question on a 301 redirect

Hey, I just installed a new forum skin at my 3d poker source site. I wanted to add a link on the top nav bar back to my home page.

However, when I tried doing this it treated all my links as directories of the forum (I put xxhttp://www.3dpokersource.com/ and it showed up as xxhttp://www.3dpokersource.com/forums/http://www.3dpokersource.com/)

I made it link to "home" so now the link points to xxhttp://www.3dpokersource.com/forums/home. I then added a 301 redirect into my .htaccess file to redirect the above url to my home page.

Everything works perfectly, but I'm just wondering if this has any effect on SEO? Any advice would be appreciated.
__________________
PokerAffiliateLife.com - Your free poker affiliate guide.

USAPokerLife.com - The latest US poker news
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-20-2006, 03:49 AM
PPP PPP is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,695
Default

Your question really shouldn't be about the 301, but rather what the heck software you are using that doesn't allow you to make something as blatantly simple as a link to your index page. Both those top homepage and forums links redirect, but that sure isn't the way to set up your site.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Georgia Poker Georgia Poker is offline
Resident High Roller
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,015
Default

I had this happen once before and I can't remember why it was doing it. Let me think on this for a bit and I'll get back to you.
__________________
P2P Lending, great affiliate program!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-20-2006, 08:11 AM
mikebrad mikebrad is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 459
Default

Here is your problem:
a href=home


should say:
a href=" h t t p :// www . 3dpokersource . com "

without all of the spaces, obviously


Is IPB not allowing you to change that. The problem with your code before was the fact that you did not use quotation marks. A 301 redirect is way to complicated of a fix for this simple coding error.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-20-2006, 12:35 PM
themike537's Avatar
themike537 themike537 is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 244
Default

Ok, thanks, that fixed the original problem.
__________________
PokerAffiliateLife.com - Your free poker affiliate guide.

USAPokerLife.com - The latest US poker news
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-20-2006, 12:45 PM
themike537's Avatar
themike537 themike537 is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 244
Default

One more quick question.

I'm trying to redirect xxhttp://3dpokersource.com/forums/index.php?act=idx to xxhttp://www.3dpokersource.com/forums/ because if you go into any topic or sub-forum...at the very bottom of the screen there is a navigation scroll bar, and if you select home...it leads to the xxhttp://3dpokersource.com/forums/index.php?act=idx instead of what I want.

I can't figure out how to change it so I'm just trying to do a redirect until I figure it out.

In the .htaccess I have this, but it doesn't work:

redirect 301 /forums/index.php?act=idx xxhttp://www.3dpokersource.com/forums/

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
__________________
PokerAffiliateLife.com - Your free poker affiliate guide.

USAPokerLife.com - The latest US poker news
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-20-2006, 01:58 PM
mikebrad mikebrad is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 459
Default

Once again, I don't believe a 301 redirect to be the solution here.

I wish I new more about Invision Power Board. It seems to me that all you need to do is tweak your breadcrumb code a bit. I've never owned a site that uses IPB, so I don't know where to tell you to look.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2006, 05:35 AM
BlackHand BlackHand is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5
Send a message via AIM to BlackHand
Default

301 Redirects are great. Especially when you use them in huge numbers.
Search Engines love them.....

.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`· '+BlackHand+' ¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legallity Question aussiepoker General Poker Affiliate Discussion 16 01-14-2007 06:39 PM
Redirect Question! freydaddy Search Engine Optimization 2 08-23-2006 12:23 AM
301 redirect for affiliate links? Georgia Poker General Poker Affiliate Discussion 10 05-30-2006 04:24 PM
Redirect Question pokermac General Poker Affiliate Discussion 5 09-25-2005 03:16 PM
Hello // Full Tilt Conversion Question PKing General Poker Affiliate Discussion 2 05-23-2005 05:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0