Hi - I'm a pretty small time poker affiliate, but I've got my website up and looking a way I'm really pleased with. Feel free to check it out at www.pokercroaker.com
Anyway, reading over the 100-day challenge thread, everyone is setting "link exchange" goals for themselves...and I also get like one or two random emails every week from people asking to exchange links with me.
In short, I have no idea what link exchanges are, or why they're so advantageous, but from everyone talking about them, I get the feeling it's something I should be doing. My completely uneducated belief was that it was simply a search-engine optimization technique...that if you got 200 other sites to link to your site, you would get a higher page ranking in the major search engines...is this true or am I way off-base?
Also, just where on my site would I PUT the links that I am exchanging with people...and why do people only want to exchange links with sites that they believe to have high-quality content...isn't quantity the goal here?
A link exchange is a technique for getting people to link to your site.
There are a couple of advantages to this:
1- You get traffic from links.
2- Search engines use link popularity in their ranking formula.
Different webmasters put links in different places. It depends on what you can negotiate with the other webmasters. Links can be included in content, and they can also be added to resource pages or "links" pages.
Volume (or quantity) is "A" goal of link exchanges, but it's not the only goal. Other goals include providing quality resources to your users. A lot of webmasters ignore user experience when making decisions about their sites, which in my view is a mistake.
If you link to low-quality websites, you're sending a message to your users and the search engines that you're possibly also a low-quality website.
Search engines have algorithms related to trust and importance as it relates to websites, and not all links from all websites are treated equally. But if you keep the user in mind when exchanging links, you'll usually not go too far wrong.
Originally posted by domino66@Jan 16 2006, 09:08 PM
Also, just where on my site would I PUT the links that I am exchanging with people...
On the bottem of your site there is a link named links, thats where they should go. You already have a links page with links on it. So just keep putting them there
__________________
Play Online Poker Now . There are a lot of Poker Rooms Accepting US Players and you can qualify for free to the 2008 WSOP . If your a casino player be sure to see the Casinos allowing USA players . Not from America then get the top PartyPoker Bonuscode , Finally if your a promoter see our Poker Affiliate Programs and Casino Affiliate Programs
PR = PageRank. It's a measure of the importance of a page online by Google. It's based on link popularity. You can do a Google search to get more detailed explanation of the concept.
There is some evidence that Google has devalued links from pages named "Links" in the past.