Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > Search Engine Optimization

Search Engine Optimization Better rankings in the search engines mean more money in our bank accounts. Share tips and strategies for SEO here.

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Spam Kill
Old 11-29-2005, 11:14 AM
scrawnybob scrawnybob is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 241
Default

this is probably a daft question - at the moment I've got the same tag for every page on my site I think only the description one is filled in

The webdesigner is sorting all of this side of things and didn't seem keen to have to do separate meta tags / descriptions / keyword tags for every page - He's using php and was "going to look into the best way of doing it"

from what Ive read here it seems to be pretty important ??

Will having different tags / descriptions specific to each page make a big difference to SEO etc ?

how is it best to go about putting all these different descriptions in and which are the most important tags to do ?

sorry if this is the most retarded SEO question ever asked on here

cheers Rob

scrawnybob http://www.4kingpoker.com
__________________
4kingpoker.com ... don't get bitter - get better Poker Forum

BadBeatorNot.com ... Poker Odds Calculator

MillionDollarPokerGuide.com ... Poker Guide & Directory

Scrawnybob's 4kingPoker Rants & Rambles ... Poker Blog
Reply With Quote
  #2   Spam Kill
Old 11-29-2005, 01:29 PM
PPP PPP is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,503
Default

You should have a different
You should have a different description for every page.
You should have different keywords for each page (or alternately no keywords... having them be the same on all pages is by far the worst.)
It is very important to not be sloppy and just make all these the same. If you web designer won't do this, either do it yourself or get a different web designer.


"Content-Type" can all be the same.
"Content-Language" of course should relate to the language of the page.
You don't need other meta tags, but you can have them if you have special needs like you don't want pages indexed, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spam Kill
Old 11-29-2005, 05:07 PM
GregK GregK is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
Default

Here are 2 more that I always include...




The first stops that stupid IE image widget from appearing everytime you hover over an image & the 2nd stops another of MS's assbrain ideas...SmartTags!

Where they would replace YOUR ads & links on YOUR website with THEIR ads using their Smartags adware in IE!

I think SmartTags suffered a firey painful death, not sure?
__________________
May the Bridges I Burn Light the Way - Amen!
Reply With Quote
  #4   Spam Kill
Old 11-29-2005, 10:45 PM
Karl Karl is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 10
Default

Hi Bob.

I am also a newbie and I skipped over doing different meta tags for different pages in my 1st site. Only since reading the Free SEO Ebok am I realising the importance of little things like this. I can not reccomend the ebook enough if you are building your first site.

The reason I did not do different metatags for each page was my web designer friend I partnered with included the metatags on code for the side menu which is actually a different page (a .tpl file rather than .php I beleive). Maybe your designer has done something similar.

Thanks for the info on those other 2 metatags Greg I think I will include them on my new project.
__________________
My 1st site - College Poker Canada
Reply With Quote
  #5   Spam Kill
Old 11-29-2005, 11:23 PM
GregK GregK is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
Default

I was trying to remember a more recent scam like this & I finally did, its Google thats up to no good this time!

http://www.google-watch.org/toolbar.html

This article explains G's new hijack plan on Books/ISBN #'s & a quick mention about the old Smart tags.
Guess who the inventor of MS's SmartTags works for now? lol

cheers
__________________
May the Bridges I Burn Light the Way - Amen!
Reply With Quote
  #6   Spam Kill
Old 11-30-2005, 06:52 AM
scrawnybob scrawnybob is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 241
Default

Hi Guys

thanks for all the input really useful - The deisgner isn't really a SEO expert and ive kind of been leading him by the nose - in fairness not having any clue about it myself either - the design is all mine (for good or bad) and I just tell him what i want until its right.

It took him a while to get his head round anything "poker" being impossible to get high ranked just because it is a poker site.

I have no access to the server thing and wouldnt know what to do if i had - some of the stuff on the site i can update through php boxes and links he's set up - things like tournie dates, links and adding articles - beyond that i dont meddle.

I offered to sit down and enter it all myself if he showed me where the 3 meta tag things are on whatever it is you need to enter it - but he didnt seem that sure it could be done that easily -

Is it possible if its all been done in vbulletin / php that it isnt as straight forward as i would think ?

I take it if i havent got access to the server i cant do anything anyway ?

cheers Rob (scrawnybob)
__________________
4kingpoker.com ... don't get bitter - get better Poker Forum

BadBeatorNot.com ... Poker Odds Calculator

MillionDollarPokerGuide.com ... Poker Guide & Directory

Scrawnybob's 4kingPoker Rants & Rambles ... Poker Blog
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Secrets, tips and strategy of creating meta tags NewPokerGirl Search Engine Optimization 2 03-24-2007 12:04 PM
Meta Tags questions SmackDog Search Engine Optimization 6 12-07-2005 01:05 AM
What meta tags to use the27offsuit.com Search Engine Optimization 0 11-15-2005 06:23 AM
Meta tags in forus the27offsuit.com Search Engine Optimization 1 10-26-2005 02:25 PM
Meta Tags El_Maximo General Poker Affiliate Discussion 2 02-24-2005 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0