Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews

New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews This is the place for new affiliates to ask the vetrans general questions and answers

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-21-2007, 06:20 AM
kamesan kamesan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
Default http://www.fucktheriver.com

What do you think about opening a site with the domain name fucktheriver.com ?

Do you think its funny, vulgar?

Do you think it is a problem to be a poker affilitate with this domain name?

I mean also bonuswhores has whores in their domain name...

I am about to launch a site with this domain name, or should I change it to fcuktheriver.com or have a completely different name?

I would highly appreciate your opinion

Thanks

Dan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-21-2007, 06:29 AM
NewPokerGirl's Avatar
NewPokerGirl NewPokerGirl is offline
Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesan View Post
What do you think about opening a site with the domain name fucktheriver.com ?

Do you think its funny, vulgar?

Do you think it is a problem to be a poker affilitate with this domain name?

I mean also bonuswhores has whores in their domain name...

I am about to launch a site with this domain name, or should I change it to fcuktheriver.com or have a completely different name?

I would highly appreciate your opinion

Thanks

Dan
I would change it to something completely different. Whatever benefits (if there are any, although it does have a nice ring to it..god damn river) having the f-word in the url had would be far outweighed by the problems you would face. Getting links will be a lot tougher because most webmasters will not put your link on their site. I'm sure there are many other problems you would face but I just woke up and I cant think of any but basically I would pick a new domain.
__________________
Check out my detailed Carbon Poker review including information on the Carbon Poker promotions

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-2007, 06:38 AM
LadyHoldem's Avatar
LadyHoldem LadyHoldem is offline
Mouthy American Girl
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 378
Send a message via MSN to LadyHoldem Send a message via Yahoo to LadyHoldem Send a message via Skype™ to LadyHoldem
Default

Could be fun to tell your friends you own it :P .. What's the google rule? Would it get listed the same as any ole website? Be screened out as adult? ..

Definitely an adult brand.. but might b popular amongst the 20somethings. Not a whole heckuva lotta keywords in that url though.. might want to keep that in mind too.. though we think it alot, we don't search it much. Might could be brandable though lol.


Welcome to PAW
__________________
I'm a WAHM (work at Home Mom), I primarily write gambling content like poker reviews, and gambling news, as of right now I'm writing about the WSOPE. You could say I'm a gambling Affiliate Webmaster I review poker portals, and I am against the US Gambling ban!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Simmo! Simmo! is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 23
Default

Definately a memorable name, but will hamper SEO IMO, not least because of SE filters and the fact many people wouldn't lkink to it. But I quite like the idea from a branding perspective
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 AM
GregK GregK is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,298
Default

Hard to predict?

Try it & know for sure
__________________
RakeBack
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Aidan's Avatar
Aidan Aidan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post
Hard to predict?

Try it & know for sure
Ditto

If I was doing something like that, I would make the site extremely vulgar. Make sure the domain matches the site ... Wow there are way to many ideas coming to my head for this one....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2007, 09:04 AM
mypokercorner's Avatar
mypokercorner mypokercorner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada eh?
Posts: 57
Default

If you're gonna do it, go all the way.

fuckthegoddamnmotherfuckingriver.com OMFGLOL!!!!

But seriously, as others pointed out the f-word will give you a hard time in the long run. You may want to try and tone it down a little. i.e. screwtheriver.com, hatetheriver.com, etc. It's not as dramatic as fucktheriver, but the idea is the same.
__________________
Poker Articles - Poker Directory - Poker Pot Odds - Poker Videos - Poker Room Review - Poker Freerolls
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is online now
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,264
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

Using the F word will probably hamper your efforts in the long run. I would use something like NiceSuckout.com or something similar. <-------That domain could be for sale or bartar too.

Generally having any swear word in a URL will give the wrong image.
__________________
My Poker Affiliate Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-21-2007, 09:35 AM
GregK GregK is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,298
Default

Whats the "right" image?
__________________
RakeBack
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is online now
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,264
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

I personally don't have any problem with a swear word in the url. However so many people get easily offended anymore, that I'd rather not cut them out of my potential market if I don't have too.

As far as a right or wrong image, I guess it depends on your total market. Using the F word in the url however will perhaps decrease that market though.
__________________
My Poker Affiliate Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0