Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews

New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews This is the place for new affiliates to ask the vetrans general questions and answers

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2007, 02:22 PM
RakeAway RakeAway is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 43
Default Setting a cookie when a user leaves the site

Hi, I want to set a cookie when a user leaves my site. Why? Well:
-My site makes use incentivized marketing, so clearing cookies is recommended
-Clearing cookies also clears my cookie, which I use to track my visitors to my affiliates
-If I could set the cookie again when the user leaves, all is well.

Note: My other topic got turned into a 'discussion' about the ethics of clearing cookies. If you have any comment about that, please post it in the other thread, and I will address it there (don't be discouraged by the way I have responded to another poster in that thread - he simply didn't listen to what people posted and stuck stubbornly by his logically flawed opinion that I was cheating affiliates and cardrooms - I can't stand that)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2007, 05:38 PM
bahh's Avatar
bahh bahh is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 920
Default

You can set cookies with PHP..

Here is the syntax:
setcookie(name, value, expire, path, domain);
__________________
Cheap English to Swedish translations. Visit eng2swe.com or PM me!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 PM
GregK GregK is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,246
Default

I'm creating an onClick solution, so it would trump yours in any scenario.

onExit is flawed from the getgo IMO & ripe for abuse.
__________________
RAKEnBAKE - Smokin RakeBack Deals!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 AM
RakeAway RakeAway is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post
I'm creating an onClick solution, so it would trump yours in any scenario.

onExit is flawed from the getgo IMO & ripe for abuse.
Please explain

Also @bahh, thanks for the help, but I was looking for a way to set on exit (or click, but only if cookies are also cleared by that click). i know how to set cookies regularly
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 AM
bahh's Avatar
bahh bahh is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 920
Default

Thinks it's hard to find a way to clear a cookie that has been set by another site. Or it's hard to do it without him knowing it.
__________________
Cheap English to Swedish translations. Visit eng2swe.com or PM me!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2007, 10:33 AM
RakeAway RakeAway is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 43
Default

Clearing cookies is done manually by the visitor. But that clears my own affiliate's cookie (for my domain, I don't mean my cookie for the poker site). So I want to set the cookie again when the user exits to make sure he is tracked properly to my affiliate, purely for the purpose of being able to pay him/her what he/she deserves.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-2007, 12:26 PM
xpertadvice4u xpertadvice4u is offline
Longest Poster Ever
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 450
Default I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakeAway View Post
Clearing cookies is done manually by the visitor. But that clears my own affiliate's cookie (for my domain, I don't mean my cookie for the poker site). So I want to set the cookie again when the user exits to make sure he is tracked properly to my affiliate, purely for the purpose of being able to pay him/her what he/she deserves.
If you:

A) ask the visitor to clear cookies
B) ask the visitor to visit poker site or sign up using your link
C) the visitor follows your links to the poker room

then the visitor will get new cookies tracked to you automatically.

So, why do you need to do anything at all when the user exits?
You are the new "cookie man" and they will be tracked to you.

What am I missing here?
__________________
Xpertadvice4u
(MYOB&STFOM)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-2007, 03:29 PM
RakeAway RakeAway is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 43
Default

Ok, 3rd time, rephrase:
I have my own affiliates, and I use cookies to track my visitors to them. I don't have a sign-up process in place, as that is unnecessary. The cookies that my site sets for my affiliates work by showing different tracking links if the cookie is set and shows their affiliate id for my site.
Example: I have an affiliate 'someguy'
He gives the link: http://www.rakeaway.com/?ref=someguy to his players. This sets a cookie with the contents: someguy. Every page that a player visits, if the cookie is set, then $ref is set to the value of the cookie (someguy). If the cookie is not set, then the cookie is set to $ref (someguy). This means:
-If a player then visits rakeaway.com directly, someguy's links are shown
-If a player visits rakeaway.com via a different affiliate, someguy's links are shown (I may change this)
-If a player visits rakeaway.com and doesn't have a cookie set, no cookie is set and the player sees my own links.

The problem is, players are instructed/asked to clear cookies in order to sign up. They will use the correct affiliate's link this time, but if they leave the page, then return to rakeaway without ref=someguy, they will see my links, even though they should (imo) see someguy's links. He deserves to get paid.
If I can set the cookie to $ref when a player leaves, then the cookie is set to someguy again, and will still be set to someguy when he returns. Therefore, tracking is always done correctly.

Note: Players clear cookies while on my site, not before, not after. In this case, my idea should work perfectly.


So, just for clarification, this cookie is used for me to pay my affiliates, not for affiliates or cardrooms to pay me.

EDIT: An alternative system that is easier for the user would be have a link to a script that clears cookies. Since it's my script, I can add at the end that a cookie should be set, with value $ref (someguy). Therefore, all cookies are cleared, but my own tracking system stays intact. I believe that this is not possible without having to request permission (like an activex control). I don't want to have to do that.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google SEO Questions edmc Search Engine Optimization 1 09-23-2007 01:10 AM
My first site, please review (a very newbie site) My-Poker-Review.com New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews 9 03-06-2007 10:23 AM
Cool Site of the Day Four2Eight Feet General Poker Affiliate Discussion 10 11-27-2005 12:35 PM
Google SiteMaps Jeremy Search Engine Optimization 6 07-13-2005 02:29 PM
21 Ways to Promote Your Site Online and Off FinRivered General Poker Affiliate Discussion 2 04-10-2005 09:52 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0