| New Affiliate Q&A - Site Reviews This is the place for new affiliates to ask the vetrans general questions and answers |
 08-19-2007, 04:46 PM
|
|
Junior Member
|
|
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2
|
|
newbie needs HELP
Hi Guys
Decided to make my first post. I am not new to poker, but I am new to this internet marketing concept. While trying to get started with be a poker affiliate there are many obstacles in my way. The biggest and most frustrating is not being able to create websites. from my understanding without a website of your own you are running into a brick wall. What I would like to know is there a website that is geared toward building poker sites or can let you experiment with building your own? I was also thinking of starting off with just a blog but being so computer illiterate when it come to doing those kind of things I really don't know where or how to start. Will any of you guys with the know how point me in the right direction to get my project started. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
|
 08-19-2007, 05:09 PM
|
|
Senior Member
|
|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 702
|
|

In order to maintain your site you might need some basic HTML knowledge.
Here are a few tips:
-Buy yourself a book about basic HTML. "HTML for dummies" or something like that. Or you can search on Google for basic HTML courses. You just need to learn the basics. It isnt really that hard. HTML isnt a programming language, its a script language which makes it easy to learn. Play around!
-Seach and read through this forum and you will learn a lot. If you have any questions or dont understand something, just ask! You will get answers for sure.
-Start off with a free webpage template or buy one. You can even buy a custom one that will suit your needs exactly. There are a few designers here at PAW that are cheap.
-Look at other aff websites and get inspired. You will get new ideas and learn alot from that.
-Buy a domain so you can host your site. It isnt that expensive. A domain name costs around $10 and you can get hosting for under $100/year.
-Look around at sites like hotscripts.com where you can find free scripts for your site. There are lots of useful scripts out there that are free.
__________________
Cheap English to Swedish translations. Special deal for PAW members. Visit eng2swe.com or PM me!
|
 08-19-2007, 05:51 PM
|
|
1000 Posts 2 many-RETIRED
|
|
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,036
|
|
Nah, "web design for dummies" It was the first step I took. A nightmare if you know totally nothing. Sign yourself up for a blog at wordpress.com, you will pick it up fairly quickly while you get a grasp of the basic html then when you are ready buy a poker template for about $200. by then you will have a better idea what you want to do with your site and you should have plenty of content for your new site
__________________
Translation services : 29 languages clients include partygaming & pokerlistings.
Email -
References and further details available on request
Following my Anti PPA rant, you can sign up At fulltilt using bonus code "PPABONUS"
|
 08-19-2007, 05:56 PM
|
|
Senior Member
|
|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 702
|
|
"Web design for dummies" was the first step I took as well.. It worked for me.
__________________
Cheap English to Swedish translations. Special deal for PAW members. Visit eng2swe.com or PM me!
|
 08-19-2007, 06:05 PM
|
|
1000 Posts 2 many-RETIRED
|
|
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,036
|
|
yeah but many of us didnt have access to computers through high school etc. It can be really daunting. I found the dummies book too much and a bit off putting as a first step
__________________
Translation services : 29 languages clients include partygaming & pokerlistings.
Email -
References and further details available on request
Following my Anti PPA rant, you can sign up At fulltilt using bonus code "PPABONUS"
|
 08-19-2007, 10:35 PM
|
|
Special Member
|
|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 705
|
|
I started off using the site builders are different hosting companys...they are very bad for seo and uses very bad code I hear...after that I got a copy of frontpage...it was soooooo coool to be able to do anything I want with a page. there are numerous free html tutorials you can read. Just google "learn html". If you have a limited budget you can get almost everything for free. Here is a list of free things you can get on the web:
- firstpage (web building software)
- Free templates....your have to google it and search around..I know they are out there, just cant remember and names.
- There are also some nice tools here.
pm me if you need help with anything (I have a soft spot for my fellow rookies)
__________________
|
 08-20-2007, 09:34 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 379
|
|

OK, buildmoneyquick i will suggest you not to use website, if you don't know HTML or PHP.
so how you get in internet marketing?
It takes 5 to 10 minutes to set up a wordpress Blog. then download a free skin, and upload it. and you are ready to go...
Now you can start writing articles and promote your poker room.
It is the easiest way to get in if you are newbie.
If you need any help to install wordpress blog, just let me know i will set it up for you free. also can do free templete too.
now if you are wondering what is wordpress look like, here is one i set it up for an example.
http://www.siblu.info
also you can pull autoamtic article via RSS, if you dont have time writing articles. and it is the best blog software you can find online.
what you need?
a domain will cost you $8 or $9
a hosting can be find in $3 or $4 per month.
Now lets say you dont have domain or dont want to spend $8
also dont wanaa spend $4 on hosting.
No problem.
you can go ahead with blogspot. free domain and free hosting. you can visit them www.blogspot.com
backed by google.
if you need anymore information just ask..
Good luck
__________________
Online Poker | Poker Tips |Widlite Directory |California Directory
|
 08-21-2007, 01:34 AM
|
|
Rebel Freedom Fighter
|
|
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 116
|
|

Now that I'm making money working from home all of my friends want to build websites, but none of them have the knowledge/skills. I learned the hard way. About 10-12 years ago I started working with Photoshop, then about 7 years ago with Frontpage. Quickly I realized that Frontpage had it's limitations/frustrations and moved on to Dreamweaver. I'm totally, 100% self taught from reading books/mags/online articles etc.. I'm finally at the point where I feel adept at this thing, but it took.....forfreakingever!
Here's what I tell my friends. Do yourself a huge...no, gigantic favor and...take a class! Take a class, take a class, take a class! There are plenty of schools out there that teach this stuff and will in the long run save you years of trial and error. Make sure you find a class that moves along, you don't want to be stuck learning how to put tables into layers for the next 6 months, but a class that quickly moves through the key elements of building a website will save you monumental amounts of time.
If you just have to get started tomorrow, go with the blogs. If you do start a blog, but still want to build websites down the road.....take a class!
Was my opinion clear? Sometimes I beat around the bush.
TheDonk
|
 08-21-2007, 08:12 AM
|
|
1000 Posts 2 many-RETIRED
|
|
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,036
|
|

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonk
Here's what I tell my friends. Do yourself a huge...no, gigantic favor and...take a class! Take a class, take a class, take a class! There are plenty of schools out there that teach this stuff and will in the long run save you years of trial and error. Make sure you find a class that moves along, you don't want to be stuck learning how to put tables into layers for the next 6 months, but a class that quickly moves through the key elements of building a website will save you monumental amounts of time.
If you just have to get started tomorrow, go with the blogs. If you do start a blog, but still want to build websites down the road.....take a class!
Was my opinion clear? Sometimes I beat around the bush.
TheDonk
|
Funny you saying "take a class." I had to help a macromedia uni graduate design a site. The problem was I was the one looking for help. The problem with taking a class is that the internet moves so fast that many of the things you will be learning today will be deemed useless by the time you graduate. Sure it will give you the basics but i think it is a long route for a shortcut. Blogs are great, I helped set up one for my friends kid in 5 minutes and they were up and running
__________________
Translation services : 29 languages clients include partygaming & pokerlistings.
Email -
References and further details available on request
Following my Anti PPA rant, you can sign up At fulltilt using bonus code "PPABONUS"
|
 08-21-2007, 11:34 AM
|
|
Senior Member
|
|
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 280
|
|

I'm not sure its totally neccessary to take a class, I'm self taught in everything so far and it didnt take me too long. When I was a kid I played around with making websites, just treated it as a hobby and I picked up the basics. Such as front page, using ftp software and using Paint Shop Pro.
Then about 8 months ago I decided to start it all up again. I started with FrontPage, but decided to move onto Dreamweaver because its the one everyone seemed to prefer. When I first ran the program I had no idea what I was doing, but I just stuck a couple of templates in there and played around with them until I became familiar with the software. There was probably a month or so between transitioning from Frontpage to Dreamweaver, and now since switching its hard to think why I even thought it was hard to use in the first place.
I've also played around with Photoshop a lot over the months and I'm very comfortable with using that too. I am by no means a pro, but I don't have problems altering and editing images, and occassionally creating them. So all the knowledge I have learnt has been picked up just from practicing. So now I am pretty comfortable with working on and developing most areas of my site.
I think if you treat it as more of a hobby rather than a job, you will find it easier to pick up things, certainly less frustrating. Just play around with everything and use Google if there is anything you specifically need help with. There are also forums and such with really friendly people that are happy to help, just like this one. The info is out there if you need it, it just takes time, patience and a bit of determination.
There is still a load of stuff I need to learn, but I'll just tackle the things as they come along. Mainly from trial and error along with reading articles and info on the Internet.
__________________
Free Poker Content for your site/blog
No Limit Texas Holdem Strategy
|
| Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests) |
| |
|
Thread Tools
|
|
|
|
Display Modes
|
Linear Mode
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.
|