| Joint Ventures Looking for a business partner or maybe someone to get into a joint venture with? This is the place to find joint ventures with other PAW members. |
 11-20-2007, 12:03 PM
|
|
Junior Member
|
|
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11
|
|
Unique development opportunity...........
We all know the best domain names are short, relevant, and uniquely memorable.
I have a domain that meets these requirements, with the potential to become one of the top handful of UK poker sites….immediately recognisable to UK visitors and directly relevant….
www.£Poker.com
Development is under way:
Approximately 50 pages live (roughly half of these in the last 2 days)
Can be focussed on the UK but content built to be relevant to global visitors
Already indexed by Google and Yahoo
It needs around another 50+ pages, plus a handful of existing pages need fleshing out. I'm working on that. Needs link building, article submissions, blog postings, press releases etc etc. Site has been put together so far with minimal advertising (apart from the poker room pages), so this also needs work, same for inter-site links (the plan is to build these once the first 100 pages are up). The existing structure can be fairly easily changed if I'm wildly off target with this initial build.
I'm looking for a partner to help get the site ranking and bringing in visitors (over 1.25 million UK Overture searches per month average across the top 5 poker search terms)
If you have previous experience of growing sites from scratch, and believe you can help please PM me.
Equal split of all income, including ultimate sale if and when applicable.
Minimal/zero costs (other than valuable time, of course). I have the hosting covered, can do ongoing development/changes myself. I'm prepared to cover other incidental costs myself if necessary eg paid links if partner advises, news release memberships etc etc
Any critique of the site also very much welcome.
|
 11-20-2007, 12:27 PM
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ont, Canada
Posts: 1,575
|
|
Why does your site redirect to this or am I not understanding it. looks odd is all
http://www.xn--poker-9fa.com/
Your pages will not do very well if they have been copied from other sites
__________________
Hit my first goal ....now just need to push it a little bit further 
|
 11-20-2007, 12:51 PM
|
|
Senior Member
|
|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 946
|
|
It's a IDN domain.
Quote:
| An internationalized domain name (IDN) is an Internet domain name that (potentially) contains non-ASCII characters. Such domain names could contain letters with diacritics, as required by many European languages, or characters from non-Latin scripts such as Arabic or Chinese. |
__________________
Cheap English to Swedish translations. Visit eng2swe.com or PM me!
|
 11-20-2007, 12:52 PM
|
|
Senior Member
|
|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Peterborough UK
Posts: 611
|
|
I think it's a terrible domain to develop to be honest. Would get another domain and start with that.
__________________
Poker Strategy Poker Advertising
|
 11-20-2007, 12:56 PM
|
|
Moderator
|
|
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ont, Canada
Posts: 1,575
|
|
So and I am saying this because you want to market globally. I am in Canada, this may sound freaking stupid but I have yet to figure out how to type a euro on my keyboard. I find one online and copy paste the damn thing.
Is there a way to do this? (and if so someone point me to it please  )
If there is than, something to think about is how are other people going to remember your addy when they dont know how to do it? With the way it comes up now i would never type that in my search....Does this make sense...
__________________
Hit my first goal ....now just need to push it a little bit further 
|
 11-20-2007, 01:53 PM
|
|
Senior Member
|
|
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 946
|
|
€ = Alt Gr + E
£ = Alt Gr + 3
At least on my computer. I guess it's different in different parts of the world.
__________________
Cheap English to Swedish translations. Visit eng2swe.com or PM me!
|
 11-21-2007, 06:43 AM
|
|
Junior Member
|
|
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11
|
|

Yes, it's an IDN.
xn--poker-9fa is the punycode version - some browsers resolve differently. IE should show in the address bar as £poker, I believe Firefox, for example, resolves to the punycode.
It will be unrealistic to expect significant type in traffic, and this is likely to only come from UK visitors if/when the name became 'known'...anyone from the UK knows how to type in the £ symbol, it sits above 3 on any UK keyboard....ie one shift and a keystroke extra than typing 'poker'
So, most potential visitors will come from search. My idea is that the domain would strike recognition in any UK searcher, and possibly attract traffic from the £ association. Once they're in, if the site is good enough, we're away.It's a theory and yet to be proved....but i don't believe it's an unrealistic theory.
It's already attracting low numbers of search traffic on 3rd/4th tier search terms.
With increased development and appropriate SEO activity there appears to be no reason why it shouldn't attract further traffic.
|
 11-22-2007, 12:43 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 22
|
|
I would use £poker.com for marketing and redirect it to another domain (sterlingpoker.co.uk is available). xn--poker-9fa.com looks so ugly in firefox, I imagine the bounce rate is very high.
Do you have any other developing projects?
__________________
|
 11-22-2007, 05:31 PM
|
|
Junior Member
|
|
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 11
|
|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vent
I would use £poker.com for marketing and redirect it to another domain (sterlingpoker.co.uk is available). xn--poker-9fa.com looks so ugly in firefox, I imagine the bounce rate is very high.
Do you have any other developing projects?
|
Thanks for the suggestion. I think you've hit it bang on with the marketing angle, and that's where the value in this domain sits...it's potentially a UK marketing dream.
There haven't been enough visitors yet to gauge bounce rate, but remember that IE users resolve to and will see £poker. Using stats from some other sites, my records show average 82% IE visitors (haven't researched widely but suspect this is close to global average). Obviously not wise to discount any visitor base, but the trade off for use of such a visually powerful domain might be one worth taking. It may also only be a matter of time before all browsers resolve to unicode.
For anyone focusing on other areas of the business, I'm also holding £Bingo.com and £Casino.com. Development will follow shortly.
Other sites in early stages of development include Russian, Korean, and Japanese sites using IDNs in relevant language.
|
 11-22-2007, 06:11 PM
|
|
Members
|
|
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,298
|
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaus
So and I am saying this because you want to market globally. I am in Canada, this may sound freaking stupid but I have yet to figure out how to type a euro on my keyboard. I find one online and copy paste the damn thing.
Is there a way to do this? (and if so someone point me to it please  )
|
Start < All Programs < Accessories < System Tools < Character Map
Thought there was a hotkey combo to launch it? can't remember it though.
__________________
RakeBack
|
| Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests) |
| |
|
Thread Tools
|
|
|
|
Display Modes
|
Linear Mode
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is On
|
|
|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.
|