News Forums buy my book Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 AM
RounderStaked RounderStaked is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 91
Send a message via MSN to RounderStaked
Question Aff. Links On Google?

I was searching to see were my site ranked on a keyphrase on google and one of the results on the top page came up as this:
www. cdpoker.com/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?id=xxxxxxxx=xxxxxxxx=xx
(edited affiliate area of link)

I have seen this in results many times before, but how in the world did this link manage to get on the top page of results on google??
__________________
Best Online Poker Bonus & Free Bankroll Money
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2007, 11:10 AM
AceHigh Pino AceHigh Pino is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 216
Default

Google just recently announced that they were going forward with removing all gambling related advertisements on their site. I can only assume that this is a part of that? Someone has a link I'm sure...cuz I can't remember for the life of me where I read this story the other day.
__________________
:: PokerOwnage :: Live it, Love it, OWN it!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2007, 11:17 AM
chiefofficer chiefofficer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceHigh Pino
Google just recently announced that they were going forward with removing all gambling related advertisements on their site. I can only assume that this is a part of that? Someone has a link I'm sure...cuz I can't remember for the life of me where I read this story the other day.

I believe the google story said something about pop-up ads, not "all gambling ads".

I don't think google will start censoring the organic search results. The DOJ asked them to stop taken gambling ads year ago, so they did, but they didn't not allow people to even search for it.

"All gambling ads" is not what the article I read said.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2007, 11:20 AM
chiefofficer chiefofficer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 52
Default

one more clarification.....

I believe the term "ad" is being confused here. An "ad" to google is something they are paid for. Like the sponsored ads at the top. Google stopped allowing those "ads" a long time ago.

Search results on google are not "ads". Saying google is not accepting gambling ads doesn't mean they won't allow gambling "search results".

Last edited by chiefofficer : 01-25-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
AceHigh Pino AceHigh Pino is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 216
Default

Yes very true....I apologize for the confusion in my own reply :-)
__________________
:: PokerOwnage :: Live it, Love it, OWN it!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2007, 01:28 PM
SunPoker.com's Avatar
SunPoker.com SunPoker.com is offline
Affiliate Managers
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Caribbean
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RounderStaked
I was searching to see were my site ranked on a keyphrase on google and one of the results on the top page came up as this:
www. cdpoker.com/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?id=xxxxxxxx=xxxxxxxx=xx
(edited affiliate area of link)

I have seen this in results many times before, but how in the world did this link manage to get on the top page of results on google??

I have seen this before as well, where an affiliate link ranks high in the search engines. How is this possible? I'm sure it's some Black Hat technique or something or I could be entirely incorrect.

Anyone?

Mark
__________________
Focalclick
Sunpoker.com - 100 WSOP packages now available - OneSickPromo - $1000 CPA offers.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2007, 02:07 PM
PokerProp PokerProp is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 328
Default

I have no idea how it happens. When Poker4ever was just launching and doing that push with all sorts of crazy freerolls and overlay tournaments and things I put up a page to promote it. Next thing I knew a search on Poker4ever was showing my affiliate link as the #1 site on google above poker4ever.com. They were actually #3 I think pokernews was #2 and my affiliate link #1. I don't know how that happened, but I sure wish I could figure out how to do it again lol.
Lasted for a few weeks and I got around 60 sign ups from it. To bad it wasn't a better site, I don't make much if anything from that now.
__________________
"Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit." - Napoleon Hill
  • Add your listing for free to PR5 Poker Directory
  • Get up to 165% Rakeback as a poker prop player
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2007, 02:20 PM
ClarkePromotions ClarkePromotions is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
Posts: 311
Default

It's all Black Hat SEO - been there done that and it's a huge pain in the butt! Every day Google gets smarter and Black Hat gets tougher, and consequently it's been my honest experience that White Hat is the way to go, now more than ever! You can spend months learning Black Hat techniques and they only give results for a really short time before Google figures it out (or some other Black Hatter beats you at your own game).

It's been said on here a million times, but I'll repeat it - build a website with TONS OF CONTENT and get some incoming links via link exchanges and you'll be getting Google hits in no time.
__________________
I'd describe my SEO hat as a darkish gray...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2007, 02:56 PM
J S J S is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 341
Default

I don't know for sure if it is 100% blackhat... we've had our affiliate code ranking top 3 for some very competitive keywords for a few weeks w/o any blackhat techniques (not that i know of anyway, no spam or wht not). This was on yahoo, not google btw.

I believe this means that the search engine rankings are giving more weight to your affiliate link than the direct link to the poker site for related keywords.

It certainly coud be blackhat, but it is not certainly blackhat.

I also concur w/ Clarke that a site that is well optimized w/ tons of content is the way to go.
__________________
J S

Poker League Software - Easily create and update a leaderboard for your league!

Learn to Deal Poker like a Pro - an online training course for poker dealers.

Poker Directory - list your quality poker site.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Jeremy Jeremy is offline
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,866
Send a message via MSN to Jeremy Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

Hmmmm....... I am on the fence on this one. I suppose it could be black hat depending on exactly how you are doing it.

But let's say I have a network of 100 poker sites all on different I.P. blocks and servers. Let's say on each of these sites I link to a poker room with my aff. link (as I am supposed too) from review pages that consequently have decent P.R. In these links I use the same anchor text or at least similar terms for my aff. links to the rooms.

It is easy to see how an affiliate url could rank high in the SERPS given this situation. I'm not sure you could call this black hat or that it is even wrong. I suppose it would just be a benefit of having so many sites and the fortitude to SEO your affiliate link as well as the pages themselves.
__________________
My two favorite quotes:

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will google find links in menus hidden w/ css MasteryOfPoker Search Engine Optimization 0 01-15-2007 12:32 AM
links and google PokerMaster Search Engine Optimization 8 11-08-2005 04:19 PM
Building Links for Google gPowell General Poker Affiliate Discussion 4 06-07-2005 10:24 AM
Exchange Links on Google PR3 homepage Jeremy The Poker Affiliate Exchange 2 03-04-2005 07:34 PM
GOOGLE launched a new version of its toolbar today Ritch111 General Poker Affiliate Discussion 1 02-18-2005 01:45 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Casino Affiliate Forum

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0