I am usually the ultimate optimist in these types of situations but after reading the District Attorney's statement I think this is actually quite grim news. You can read the PAW news article on it here,
Neteller Arrests or you can hit Neteller in google news and read all kinds of speculation.
Speculation is just that......speculation. But the announcement below by the district attorney is not the news I think most were hoping for. Initially people were thinking these guys were picked up for money laundering that was not related to Neteller or the business. Here is the D.A.'s quote.
Quote:
| “Michael J. Garcia, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and Mark J. Mershon, the Assistant Director in charge of the New York office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, announced today that Stephen Eric Lawrence and John David Lefebvre were arrested yesterday in connection with the creation and operation of an Internet payment services company that facilitated the transfer of billions of dollars of illegal gambling proceeds from United States citizens to the owners of various Internet gambling companies located overseas.” |
Nobody knows what the fallout of this will be, but considering Neteller NLR.L halted it's trading in London this morning, I don't think it would be a big surprise to see them pull out of the U.S. market in the next few days. Just my opinion but I think in terms of $$ and revenue throughout the entire industry, this will be much more significant than the initial UIGEA.