Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Nick0r Nick0r is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 560
Default Attending Conferences - Tips, Tricks and Managing your time

Hi Guys,

I will be attending CAP Euro in London in a few weeks time, and it will be my first time attending such a conference. Could anyone give me a little bit of advice on how to go about making the most of my time there, and how I should make my plans (e.g cram them all in one day, spread them out - how long are they likely to be for etc) for meetings with my affiliate managers.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Brandon's Avatar
Brandon Brandon is offline
Affiliate Manager - Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,181
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Send a message via MSN to Brandon Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon
Default

Here is some input in no particular order

1. Leave room between meetings, go grab a drink with them or just talk more...but they always go over.

2. I would schedule them spread out but A. not in the morning B. Not late at night. Lunch time is perfect.

3. Bring your drinking hat, its needed. The best relationships will be made after hours.

4. Find a couple PAW members and form a group asap, this way no one is left alone and miserable. It was great at the CAC to meet Graham early so we could bring him to everything.

5. Enjoy it, its a great event and a lot of fun. Get your meetings done, and enjoy. Grab all the SWAG you can
__________________
Brandon Berndt
Affiliate Program Director
ChanPoker.com
ChanPoker Affiliate Program *NOW LIVE*
Skype: BrandonBerndt
Msn:
AIM: BrandonBerndt
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 PM
SunPoker.com's Avatar
SunPoker.com SunPoker.com is offline
Affiliate Managers
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 628
Default

I would make most of your meetings during the day and they will vary in length. Some will be short and sweet and some will be long. There will be meetings you will want to continue onto the night. Have a basic schedule and leave room for meetings that may go longer than expected.

Also make time for non formal meetings after the conference is over and into the night. Some of your best meetings will come after people have loosened up a bit.

Be sure to bring business cards and make sure you write down what you talked about with the other person. If not, you'll get back home and have a stack of business cards but won't remember what you talked about with those people.

Mark
__________________
SunPoker.com
Focalclick Affiliate Program
---
$1,000 Bonus Monthly
$10K Freeroll Monthly
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is online now
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,237
Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

I will not be at CAP Euro, although I hear it is going to be a great conference. I will however be attending CAC in Amsterdam. I think the most important aspect of these is the new relationships you will develop as well as the deals you can secure.

The lectures and sessions are good for the newer people, but often times they are lead by your peers, so essentially you can get just as much of this info researching or reading forums.

Once you have met people face to face and shaken hands, it makes doing business together much easier in the future. And as Brandon mentioned, some of the best business and networking can be done afterhours. Even if you're not a big drinker, plan on at least staying out late.

Another thing I always try to do is be on my "A" game at all times, even if I was out late the night before. It is important to differentiate yourself as a professional and a "player" in the industry when having your first meetings with affiliate managers. This will go a long way for you down the road.

Like Brandon said, it is good to hook up with a few guys from PAW that have been to a few of these so they can introduce you to the AM's and other affiliates.

Have fun, maybe I'll get drunk the night before and book a flight to London.........that's how I ended up in Miami at Spring Break.

For your reading pleasure, here is an older article about The Importance of Attending Industry Events
__________________
My Poker Affiliate Blog - Be Entertained

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Beanie Beanie is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 445
Send a message via AIM to Beanie Send a message via MSN to Beanie
Default

get cards and follow up is a key. I will be going so if anyone is interested in latching onto the Beanie train feel free to PM me. All of my evenings are free and I will not be going to the early sessions. I have a few meetings scheduled but nothing too important and I know all of the people well so just chilling out is an almost certainty.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Graham's Avatar
Graham Graham is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
4. Find a couple PAW members and form a group asap, this way no one is left alone and miserable. It was great at the CAC to meet Graham early so we could bring him to everything.
Thanks again Brandon... it was great meeting all you guys in Vegas. Can't wait to go back.

Things I can add to this list:

- Bring Business Cards
- Like Brandon said, try and find some PAW people
- Go with the flow... Talk to other people and see what conferences are the most important. I don't like doing to much planning before hand. I just like to do things as they come. Also, talking to people is the best way to find out what is going on if it is your first conference.
- Prepare to drink... I suggest sleeping the night before going... Apparently trying to keep yourself awake on Vodka and Redbulls all night can be a bad idea... so I hear
- Figure out what your goals are for attending the conference and do what you need to get it done.
- Most importantly... have some fun
__________________
*** Advertising Offer: Let Me Review Your Sites ***

Free Poker Money - Poker Babes - Poker Videos - Poker News - Poker Affiliate Tips

"Good things come to those who wait, but only the things left over by those who hustle."
- President Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Brandon's Avatar
Brandon Brandon is offline
Affiliate Manager - Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,181
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Send a message via MSN to Brandon Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon
Default

Sugar Free Redbull Vodka - Vodka puts you to sleep Redbull wakes you up in the morning. Make sure its sugar free or else you will be up all night.
__________________
Brandon Berndt
Affiliate Program Director
ChanPoker.com
ChanPoker Affiliate Program *NOW LIVE*
Skype: BrandonBerndt
Msn:
AIM: BrandonBerndt
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM
scrawnybob scrawnybob is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 289
Default anyone going to ICE too ?

hi all

I cant make CAP as I'm chamonix boarding but I'm going to ICE in the 23rd if anyone fancies a coffee at luchtime

Nick are you going to ICE too ?

cheers scrawnybob
__________________
4kingpoker.com ... don't get bitter - get better Poker Forum

BadBeatorNot.com ... Poker Odds Calculator

MillionDollarPokerGuide.com ... Poker Guide & Directory

Scrawnybob's 4kingPoker Rants & Rambles ... Poker Blog
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Nick0r Nick0r is online now
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: London
Posts: 560
Default

Thanks for the tips guys, any more input from others would be great too.

scrawnybob, I doubt it. I have no real interest in going there unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 PM
PokerMaster PokerMaster is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 619
Send a message via AIM to PokerMaster
Default

Yeh keep the tips coming.
Anyone interested in having a PAW meet up before the opening party (8pm 25th) ?
I will be by myself, and having never attended a conference before, I don't know anyone by face.
__________________
Poker Bonuses
Party Bingo Bonus Code
Top 10 Bingo
Titan Poker Bonus Code
Casino Bonuses
US Poker Bonus
Full Tilt Bonus Code

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0