Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Spam Kill
Old 04-28-2005, 05:50 AM
freepp freepp is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 117
Default

Any advice on how to attract people to your poker forums? And how to get people to post regularly?
Reply With Quote
  #2   Spam Kill
Old 04-28-2005, 06:02 AM
Joe Joe is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 113
Default

pay them. $, sex or drugs.
__________________
just one more
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spam Kill
Old 04-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Jeremy
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Getting forums off the ground is probably the most difficult thing to do if you are not generating a ton of traffic. Even then it can still be, especially if your trying to launch just a general poker forum.

Here's the reason, theres already 100's of poker forums out there with thousands of members each. Why would anyone want to join a forum with no members and little activity? It's not like your offering sign-up bonuses for people to join :P

I'm not saying it's impossible but it is very difficult. I have tried unsuccessfully several times to get forums going. What I found is that the forum has to have a focus or niche that fills some sort of void. Take this forum for example, it has only been around since January yet it is pretty active........but also keep in mind there was really no other forum on the internet just for poker afffiliates. Had I made this for online casino affiliates or just a general affiliate forum, it probably wouldn't have grown so fast.

Once again......getting a general poker forum running is going to be very difficult without massive traffic unless you pick a specific niche, maybe something as simple as one that just focuses on Party SnG players, or the Stars Sunday night tournament. I don't know, kust throwing ideas out there.

Another thing to keep in mind is that motion creates emotion. Register 8 different usernames in your forums and talk to yourself everyday :lol: :lol: :lol: It's funny, but it works. If people see activity they will be more likely to join.
Reply With Quote
  #4   Spam Kill
Old 04-29-2005, 02:20 AM
mattc mattc is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy@Apr 28 2005, 04:45 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that motion creates emotion. Register 8 different usernames in your forums and talk to yourself everyday :lol: :lol: :lol: It's funny, but it works. If people see activity they will be more likely to join.
Hehe - and that begs the question - who ELSE are you on these boards? :P
Reply With Quote
  #5   Spam Kill
Old 04-29-2005, 06:15 AM
tmc94 tmc94 is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15
Default

I just recently launched my poker forum and I went into it with the idea that activity leads to activity, as Jeremy said. I expect it to be a slow build but one of the tactics I've used is to get a few friends to post and post a lot. Gaining critical mass in a message board can be tough but once achieved its well worth it in building the community you are looking for.

With that in mind, this board can be a great resource to help each other. Freepp, tell me where your board is and I'll go help with an effort to get it going. Maybe we can all take turns doing that for each other. I'd certainly welcome any help in that regard.
__________________
Online Poker Forum
Reply With Quote
  #6   Spam Kill
Old 04-29-2005, 06:41 AM
Stephen Stephen is offline
Affiliate Managers
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 492
Default

I agree with tmc - it is definitely important for everyone to help each other out....

Some other things to consider:

1. For those that do not have the critical mass, evaluate joining forces with 2-3 other sites. If it is done with agreement and trust, you can each build on each other and get where you want to go quicker.... Just remember that this is a partnership...

2. Having the same-old topics of comparing different poker rooms, ring games etc will be hard a hard market to conquer. Think of new ideas/concepts which will attract people in the first place, and all the rest will slowly fall in place.

Stephen
__________________
Stephen Freund
Affiliate Manager
Reply With Quote
  #7   Spam Kill
Old 04-29-2005, 07:33 AM
freepp freepp is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 117
Default

Thanks for all your input guys. I actually set up a contest which one person would win a free chip set at the end of the month. Didn't really seem to work.

Now I am offering people points for posting. 1 post is worth about 10 points, 2 for a reply on your post, etc.. You add it up over time, you can purchase goods with your points, ie. poker books, poker chips, and even ipods. This promotion got me about 2-3 regular posters (I am just starting out). Anyone interested visit http://www.freepponline.com/phpbb2/index.php. (If this is spamming, please feel free to edit it out).

Anyway, anyone interested in a partnership PM me. TMC, I would love to post on your forum in exchange for you posting on mine.
Reply With Quote
  #8   Spam Kill
Old 04-29-2005, 04:18 PM
CasinoMack CasinoMack is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 344
Default

I've probably set up 30+ forums in my time, with only two being worthy of called successful. 1 was really successful (I'm talking, 7 figure successful) and another is semi-successful (I'm talking pays the bills).

Its hard. Its not easy. I have a poker forum now that is dying a slow death, but I don't know if I should turn it into another poker related review site or pump some life back in. IMO a general poker forum is very difficult to get off the ground.

I've considered turning it into a poker affiliate forum (Jeremy ), but am not eager to jump on that wagon yet, however 80% of members are affiliates.

Lemme know if you have any advice
__________________
Poker Bonus Codes
Reply With Quote
  #9   Spam Kill
Old 04-29-2005, 07:59 PM
tmc94 tmc94 is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15
Default

FreePP and anyone else, here is the deal I will make with you:

I'll spend one week posting on your board - at least 3 new posts a day and I'll try to respond to a bunch of other threads. For that, I'd like you to do the same. If we all work together, we can help to build the activity that leads to more activity and make our message boards successful.

PM me if interested.
__________________
Online Poker Forum
Reply With Quote
  #10   Spam Kill
Old 04-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Joe Joe is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 113
Default

give motive. what's poker player all want?

i go to forum to learn stuff, show off or killing time.

suggested topics, hand history study, hand of the day, best play ever, new discovery about poker skill...

go out for a drunk, wish me get laid will you. :lol:
__________________
just one more
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article on the Poker Ban you can use on your sites Zilla The Poker Affiliate Exchange 1 10-11-2006 01:39 AM
Free content - Poker Profiles Kyle The Poker Affiliate Exchange 0 02-27-2006 09:10 AM
Writers Wanted adioking The Poker Affiliate Exchange 7 01-20-2006 02:19 PM
my key word dropped 60 spots in google! freepp General Poker Affiliate Discussion 11 06-16-2005 09:13 PM
Linker Tracker Problem mitchtam General Poker Affiliate Discussion 9 03-26-2005 09:18 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0