The issue of affiliates from within the US being at risk has been discussed many places and most legal opinions I've seen are summarized as: "Yes, An affiliate would be committing a crime but it’s unlikely that they are targeted for prosecution".
Calvin Ayres (owner of Bodog) has been in Vegas many times and actually had a trip planned there right before the David Carruthers of BetonSports was arrested. I am sure these are not the only gaming execs to travel to the US. It unlikely never crossed David Carruthers mind he would be arrested while traveling that day, he was the first and it came as a shock to a lot of people. All of a sudden at this point people started needing to take the advice given to them in the late 90's which was (You can never enter US soil).
I’ll save it for another conversation but personally I’ve always wondered how Calvin Ayre has been such high profile and has done many events in NYC and Vegas and had not been picked up before. Plus even worst he is in Canada and he does not allow Canadian accounts (perhaps that helps him avoid being extradited?? Even so he was traveling to the US often enough they could of grabbed him anytime if they wanted to.
Anyways, it is an extremely thin chance that anything happens to a UK affiliate while visiting the US, but yes it is a risk (no matter how slim the risk is it does exist).
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by scrawnybob
hi jacks n queens
read you post with great interest as it's certainly a different view (which I accept you've had legal advice on) but seems to go against alot of other legal advice too
what you seem to be suggesting is
a) US players are not breaking US law PLAYING poker online (which everyone seems to agree is still the same legal grey area is was before)
and the POKER SITES will be breaking new law by accepting money transactions through the banks (under new US law) - which again everyone agrees this is what the bill is saying
but this still leaves Neteller which could be a perfectly legal & offshore poker sites (most of them) many of whom mantain because they are offshore do not have to comply or would not be breaking the law
b) But you say that POKER SITES promoting to US players and openly declaring so are setting themsleves up for prosecution
and by association affiliate sites who promote these sites position are also
setting themselves up for problems
Now I could see the logic in this for US affiliates promoting a US based Poker Site - are they're any ??
But most Poker sites are offshore and those sites who have openly said they are operating within international law and are NOT subject to this US legislation (see cardplayer legal piece which agrees with this) feel they DO NOT have to answer to US govt.
Therefore how can an affiliate who is posting / reporting and by default effectively promoting these sites to US players be in danger (if they are also off shore)
What you seem to be suggesting is that somehow an affiliate ANYWHERE is breaking US law by promoting a poker site (offshore) who is taking US players but by Neteller etc.
And if I report the statement on xyz site (who says they are open to US players) and also have aff links to them
I am somehow going to get arrested by the feds if I ever come on holiday to the states
I genuinely cant see this can be true or legally correct - in the example of poker.com (stating open to US players)
a) I have posted on forum / news etc they are one of the sites that have THEMSELVES stated are open to US players
b) I have been promoting them to players for where ever in the world before the bill
This I can't see suddenly puts me at grave risk of US arrest problems etc
To me IMHO reporting a statement by a poker a site and also promoting a site saying THEY have stated they're open to US players doesn't suddenly make me a criminal
While your postion at first made sense and was utterly depressing (ie. It effectively ruled out the entire US market and all sites to everyone affiliating anywhere)
plus your implying that by promoting sites who say they will take US players EVEN promoting to them in other countries is also not a good idea because they have marked their card and are vunerable
IMHO this would seem like the perfect response from the companies who have withdrawn from the US and are now desperate to get into the rest of world market but are sore that a good many offshore non quoted poker sites have decided they actually dont have to answer to this law (maybe rightly or wrongly)
It doesn't seem to be consistent with any of the other legal advice going around - ie. cardplayer etc
The bill is about payments to poker sites - not US players playing poker & more importantly to affiliates - many offshore sites do NOT consider themselves to be out of US market under the new law
How if these sites have publicly stated they are not breaking the law are poker affiliates supposed to be somehow implicated by association - if we are only reporting on statements by these sites ?
EG. if poker.com states (which it has) publicly that it does not consider itself to be breaking a US law because it does not have to recognise it (it's not US company and is operating under international law)
how am I as an affiliate (non US) breaking a US law (again I'm non US) if I promote by reporting / stating that poker.com has said it accepts US players ??????
What you seem to be saying is that offshore companies & affiliates have to obey a US law on transactions (which is not the same as a ban) when they are not US companies - if its no illegal for US poker players to play - how can I be held responsible ?
cheers scrawnybob
|