News Forums buy my book Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Jeremy Jeremy is offline
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,596
Send a message via MSN to Jeremy Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default Can you sue the U.S. government?

Someone with some legal knowledge or a political science background, enlighten me.

Is it possible to sue the U.S. government in a class action lawsuit in the supreme court? It sounds pretty crazy, yes. But it amazes me first of all how this corrupt bill even passed. I think a group of winning players and even some big affiliates should look into this. I am fairly certain you could get private finacial support from certain people or rooms.

After all there are many people who file taxes as professional gamblers that will now have not only their civil liberties, but also their livlihood stripped away. I know both players and affiliates who are good people and make an honest living in the poker industry who will now be left having to explain to their families why they can no longer pay the bills.

We can all sit here and bitch about everything on every poker board in the world, but that won't get anything accomplished, nor will it change a damn thing.

I think the PPA needs to look into something like this, because the fight to keep this bill from passing has failed due to one corrupt senator. Any thoughts.......
__________________
My two favorite quotes:

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-02-2006, 10:05 PM
adioking's Avatar
adioking adioking is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 1,226
Default

Casino City sued the DOJ...
__________________
Play mac poker and mac casino games, and read poker articles at online poker mac.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Brandon's Avatar
Brandon Brandon is offline
StinkyFishPoker.com
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,198
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Send a message via MSN to Brandon Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon
Default

Take it to the supreme court, let the supreme court make a decision...id love to hear an educated answer on this.
__________________
Brandon Berndt
Affiliate Program Director
StinkyFishPoker.com
Sign Up Now - Stinky Fish Poker
I Changed my MSN - Please add to your MSN Friends List.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2006, 10:08 PM
adioking's Avatar
adioking adioking is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 1,226
Default

Okay I just contacted them anyways, waiting for a reply.
__________________
Play mac poker and mac casino games, and read poker articles at online poker mac.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Brandon's Avatar
Brandon Brandon is offline
StinkyFishPoker.com
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,198
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Send a message via MSN to Brandon Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon
Default

PokerAffiliateWorld Inc v. United States.

I can see it now..."The Pink bunny donkey punches the U.S"
__________________
Brandon Berndt
Affiliate Program Director
StinkyFishPoker.com
Sign Up Now - Stinky Fish Poker
I Changed my MSN - Please add to your MSN Friends List.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-02-2006, 10:18 PM
corpfan1's Avatar
corpfan1 corpfan1 is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 739
Default



We could start with this.
__________________
Online Poker Bonuses ----- Free Online Poker Bankroll ----- Online Poker Promotions

Titan Poker Bonus Code ----- Full Tilt Poker Promo Code ----- Online Poker Bonus Codes
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 PM
ResIpsa ResIpsa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Someone with some legal knowledge or a political science background, enlighten me.

Is it possible to sue the U.S. government in a class action lawsuit in the supreme court? It sounds pretty crazy, yes. But it amazes me first of all how this corrupt bill even passed. I think a group of winning players and even some big affiliates should look into this. I am fairly certain you could get private financial support from certain people or rooms.

After all there are many people who file taxes as professional gamblers that will now have not only their civil liberties, but also their livelihood stripped away. I know both players and affiliates who are good people and make an honest living in the poker industry who will now be left having to explain to their families why they can no longer pay the bills.

We can all sit here and bitch about everything on every poker board in the world, but that won't get anything accomplished, nor will it change a damn thing.

I think the PPA needs to look into something like this, because the fight to keep this bill from passing has failed due to one corrupt senator. Any thoughts.......

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking to sue under; if you are asserting a constitutional claim, then it would either have to be that your substantive due process rights were violated or you were denied equal protection under the law.

The substantive due process clause of the constitution (5th amendment) guarantees that laws will be reasonable and not arbitrary and the Equal Protection clause (14th amendment, only explicitly applies to state action, not federal, but traditionally has been imputed to the federal government as part of due process clause) guarantees that similarly situated persons will be treated alike.

For a claim under Substantive Due Process, one must be denied a "fundamental right" for the court to apply a strict scrutiny standard (government must show law is necessary to promote a compelling or overriding interest), otherwise only a mere rationality standard is required (as long as the restriction is rationally related to any legitimate governmental purpose). So the bar is very low if you are only applying a rationality standard so you would have to show a fundamental right has been violated to apply a strict scrutiny standard and that seems unlikely. Fundamental rights include things like the rights relating to Voting, Privacy, right to Move Freely (i.e., travel), and all first amendment rights. The right to work in the industry of your choice or the right to play a certain game are not going to fall into this category.

For an equal protection claim to have any chance, you generally have to prove the class being discriminated against is a class of "suspect classification" or "quasi-suspect classification" such as race, national origin, gender, or legitimacy, which isn't the case here. So the equal protection claim would only be subject to the minimal scrutiny test so you would have to prove that the law is not "rationally related' to a legitimate government interest. So you're in the same boat as the substantive due process claim above.

So either way, as long as the government can show it has a legitimate interest and that interest is connected to the actual restriction applied, there is no valid claim. This is a difficult test to fail, and thus most governmental action examined under this standard will be upheld unless it is arbitrary and irrational (and the burden of proof is on the challenger under this standard)

Hope that makes some sense, it's a just a quick summary of how these claims are analyzed and the appropriate standards that would be applied, it is not intended to be a complete legal analysis.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-03-2006, 01:15 AM
skits2 skits2 is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
I'm not exactly sure what you are looking to sue under; if you are asserting a constitutional claim, then it would either have to be that your substantive due process rights were violated or you were denied equal protection under the law.

I'm not sure I agree with you. You don't have to actually prove that any existing constutional right was violated. You can just make up an interpretation of one in some amendment or other and get the ACLU to help you. I recommend 1st or 4th because you can sweak just about anything into those
__________________
Just entering the Affiliate world with my website

College Poker Tips

I would greatly appreciate it if you would go there and let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-03-2006, 11:17 AM
ResIpsa ResIpsa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skits2
I'm not sure I agree with you. You don't have to actually prove that any existing constutional right was violated. You can just make up an interpretation of one in some amendment or other and get the ACLU to help you. I recommend 1st or 4th because you can sweak just about anything into those

I probably should have clarified, but I was only speaking to the main portion of the act that addresses the transfers of funds, I was not referring to the aspect regarding the removal of links. Clearly that has potential first amendment implications and will be challenged. But as for the restrictions on transfers, I do not see how any first amendment claims would apply. There are some cases where how one choses to spend money is a form of speech and should be protected, but that is generally limited to political contributions (and has not always held up anyway). As for 4th amendement? maybe, but I certainly don't see anything to hang your hat on.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 PM
skits2 skits2 is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
I probably should have clarified, but I was only speaking to the main portion of the act that addresses the transfers of funds, I was not referring to the aspect regarding the removal of links. Clearly that has potential first amendment implications and will be challenged. But as for the restrictions on transfers, I do not see how any first amendment claims would apply. There are some cases where how one choses to spend money is a form of speech and should be protected, but that is generally limited to political contributions (and has not always held up anyway). As for 4th amendement? maybe, but I certainly don't see anything to hang your hat on.....

Sorry about that, my post was somewhat tongue in cheek, but rereading my post that's not as clear as I had intended. I have to agree that any lawsuit would be a tough road to travel
__________________
Just entering the Affiliate world with my website

College Poker Tips

I would greatly appreciate it if you would go there and let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0