
Well, I took the time this afternoon to review the SAFE Ports bill, as well as HR 4411, and found that while most of the meat of the FINANCIAL part of the bill remained intact, they left out all updating of the Wire Act (That's the one that could probably be defined against us harshly).
Basically, as I read it, and I AM NOT A LAWYER, is that this bill does not make internet gambling illegal, merely the taking of bets, and the facilitation of funding betting accounts. It seems the sky didn't fall as I had thought initially, although this is a terrible blow to the growth of the industry, as a bill like this not only discourages online gaming, but also casts it in a negative light. The average layperson may think online poker is now illegal.
It is not.
It is a toothless bill as it concerns we players, and there are no provisions for "blocking" IPs of poker rooms, etc.
all blocking mentioned is left up to our banking institutions, and they've been doing that for a while now....
As far as we affiliates, the provision about "aiding and abetting" isn't even in this version. I think as long as we make it clear we are not TAKING bets, with a disclaimer, perhaps, we should be oK?
__________________
Now,
Ante up!
Jack Benny
and the
WannaTalkPoker Crew
http://www.wannatalkpoker.com/forum/index.php
|