Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > General Poker Affiliate Discussion

General Poker Affiliate Discussion The Largest Poker Affiliate Forum in The World. Poker Affiliates, Discuss Poker Affiliate Programs and issues facing the Poker Affiliate Industry Here!

Reply
 
Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Rake Fighter Rake Fighter is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 18
Default

Wonderful post Kellerman. I have been playing full time for the past 1 1/2 years and he really hit the nail on the head.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-27-2006, 03:47 PM
PPP PPP is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,694
Default

"I got no fulfillment from sitting in front of my computer all the time. The solitude is MUCH worse than the stress."

Working as a drone in some telemarketing boiler room would prevent solitude, but what fulfillment you might get out of it is another thing. Playing poker for a living is a great way to have a full life that is different than the norm, where you set your own schedules and priorities. Some people are suited for it, some aren't. That is part of the point. Lots of people have neither the discipline or interest to be a professional poker player and shouldn't be one any more than someone not interested in cars should sell cars.

Playing poker is a great job if you have the skills for it, but it is a job and if you don't like doing it then it will suck like any other job.

The more important thing is just for someone who starts doing the job to have the right tools. You can't sell cars without a car lot. You can't be a pro poker player without an adequate bankroll. You can try, but you'll fail almost always.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Jeremy
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Full-Time poker playing, any recomendations
Yea don't play like me!!!

More importantly is the discipline and bankroll management you need to have in order to do this full-time. Also like PPP said I imagine you have to have a very healthy bankroll. Taking a few thousand dollars and deciding to go pro seems all but impossible. What if you have a bad month? How do you pay your bills that month. In my donkeyniss I have swung a few dimes in the course of a night.

Personally I am happy to admit that I don't have the patience, discipline, or bankroll management skills to ever.........and I mean EVER go pro. I love action and big swings and as my wife says, I love to piss away money. Luckily don't have cash flow issues so this is not a problem. Grinding it out at boring limits trying to make a few hundred dollars a day doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather go find a few hundred players to multi-table under my tracker that like to do this for me.

Honesty is also the best policy..............85% - 90% of poker players are losing players for the reasons I mentioned above :P. If your not playing winning poker on a consistent basis right now, you may be living a pipe dream. Only if you fall into that 10% of poker players who consistently win should you consider doing it full time.

WTF do I know though............I played $100 slots with my poker winnings last time I was in Vegas................EEEEEEEEEE AWWWWWWW!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-07-2006, 02:47 AM
ThePokerProf ThePokerProf is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Perpetual traveller
Posts: 13
Default

There are a significant number of full-timers out there IMO, i don't see why this number won't continue to grow in future years? I've been one for 2 years. I found actually playing poker much more fun when it was a profitable hobby rather than a source of a significant proportion of my daily bread.

I figured the best way to achieve my goal of 'retiring' early was to work a regular job for several years whilst playing poker 20hrs/week or so at the same. I was able to build a big enough BR to quit the 'regular' job after 4yrs.

Now I find playing mostly a grind, but a necessary one......playing online means you get to work from anywhere in the world, I'm my own boss, and as a Brit I have no tax worries.
__________________
www.thepokerprof.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article on the Poker Ban you can use on your sites Zilla The Poker Affiliate Exchange 3 10-15-2007 04:00 AM
Full Tilt Poker is here to Stay! Bryan General Poker Affiliate Discussion 8 10-07-2006 06:50 PM
Writers Wanted adioking The Poker Affiliate Exchange 7 01-20-2006 04:19 PM
my key word dropped 60 spots in google! freepp General Poker Affiliate Discussion 11 06-16-2005 11:13 PM
Linker Tracker Problem mitchtam General Poker Affiliate Discussion 9 03-26-2005 11:18 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Poker Affiliate Programs Poker News

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0