Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Jeremy
I found this on the internet by Rush Limbaugh. He makes some great points. In my opinion the U.S. government is the most mismanaged and corrupt organization in the world.
|
The level of *denial* among Americans is incredible when it comes to this issue, as it pertains to the whole society, not just the federal government.
I absolutely agree, also, with criticisms of the "entitlement" mentality - which seems to be so prevalent among so many people.
But, that sense of entitlement kind of goes hand in hand with the system - that everybody is entitled to grab their piece of whatever pie is available, and first come first served....who cares if it is maybe a bit unethical, as long as it is not specifically illegal.
I am a harsh critic of most things military, and totally against the way the US has conducted itself, and its military in the past few decades (with the exceptions of Kuwait and the Bosnian/Croatian nightmare).
I am one of those who jokes that Military Intelligence is an oxymoron.
But, dammit, those people who *serve* need to be treated a hell of a lot better than they are, and, while I disagree with the geo-political goals of their sacrifice, I have to respect the NATURE of their personal sacrifice.
They are like the cops, in my mind...we absolutely *must* have such people to rely upon in order for our societies to survive. And we need to respect that function...but not necessarily to the level of uncritical "hero worship."
There is so much hypocrisy and hype and BS tied up in the Patriotism issue, and we just allow these young (and older) men and women to be used as fodder.
So, yeah, I want to see them taken better care of by the people who benefit from their blood, sweat and tears; and the way they have been neglected borders on "criminal," almost.
BUT....I guess the other side of the argument is that these are folks who *volunteer* to possibly get killed, which takes them out of the "Victim" category, to some degree.
The folks at the WTC did not volunteer to be victimized by the terrorists.
Their families did not *know* when they failed to kiss them goodbye that morning that they would never get another chance.
It was pretty hard for them to have avoided that situation.
And, I think that this tends to mitigate the the feeling of a need for compensation, when it comes to soldiers, and their surviving families.
When you kiss your boy goodbye at the station as he leaves for Iraq, you know there is a high risk you will never see him again....in one piece.
But, there has to be some sort of line drawn, where "enough is enough" with regards to victim compensation of all categories.
And, I think we passed that with the WTC families some time ago.
Don't forget, their victimization - and compensation - was something that went hand in hand with the outrage that was necessary to stoke the fires of war in Afghanistan and Iraq...and it helped dupe people into thinking that an illegal invasion of a sovereign nation like Iraq was the right thing to do, even though International Law and most of the rest of the world disagreed.
American leaders had to keep reminding citizens of the WTC tragedy in order to siphon off more and more civil liberties and more and more of Taxpayer's Money to support a bogus war, and to pay buddies of the Power Elite (Haliburton) juicy contracts to then rebuild what we destroyed in Iraq - in order to supposedly make us all safer from terrorism like 9/11.
They could hardly point to 9/11 as a huge victimization - calling for stringent, desperate measures like the Patriots Act - without being willing to compensate the victims generously.
God, I hope the pendulum swings back towards the middle of rational thought and debate and ethical conduct in this country soon.
And, the truth is the truth, even when it comes from the mouths of hypocrites like Rush Limbaugh, who totally discredited himself, yet can bounce back to be a "leader" and a spokesperson for the American way of life.
We need to talk more about Limbaugh, and his rants against "entitlement," but I will save it for another post.