View Single Post
  #68  
Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM
offyourface offyourface is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 131
Default

I would imagine it's a tough decision for pso to invest so much money in proofing an order, then being asked to send the work back for corrections to a company that has already delivered subpar work, then spend the money yet again to reproof the work.

So the question is really even if pso did allow this company to fix the problem, how much money would have been invested to proof it not only once but twice to make sure the work of a high enough quality to post online. I have never done a major translation project so I don't know the time or money involved, but I would think the prudent choice for PSO would be to correct the mistakes as you find them with your proofer instead of going through a million words, highlighting all the errors, sending them back to be fixed, then reproofing yet again and possibly once more after that. We are not talking about just a few grammar errors here, as I understand it the translations were not even in the game.

My gut tells me the person the company hired to do the russian translations was not a trusted and reliable source they have used before or the work would have been much better, and knowing this they really should have been on their game and made sure he was delivering quality work. by protecting the order and investing a few bucks in an outside company to ascertain that they are in fact delivering quality work. It's not really fair when someone pays you for quality translations, especially with a company where their name precedes them, then ask them to go through every single page translated, spend all that time and money highlighting all the errors, then send all the errors back, then spend all that money reproofing the new work. And then ask them to pay full boat.

In most circumstances I probably would have thought pso was to blame, I mean under normal circumstances if a company fails to deliver, you have to give them an opportunity to make it right. But after looking at it as I did above, I don't really think paying 11% less than the final bill is unreasonable.

Some good lessons learned here for a lot of people.
Reply With Quote