
In sales, they teach you to 'sell the sizzle, not the steak'. In anything that anyone ever sells there has to be some sizzle. Online however, people are very savvy and the sizzle that works for one guy patronizes another. To me, that last sentence is what I try to think about in anything I write whether it be a review or anything else. If everything you say is rah, rah, rah, anyone with half a brain will think everything is BS. On the other hand, bad news travels 10 x's faster than good news and that's because bad news is what people remember. What is accomplished by trashing a room for one issue, if for all intents and purposes it's a good room? That's not to say that you turn a blind eye to problems, but it's also important not to take something too far whereas the reader ends up walking away with the wrong overall impression.
For myself, it's my nature to be as honest as I can. I get to sleep better at night, and the idea of course is to generate a following of loyal readers who know they can trust me. With that said, I also don't 'trash' any of the sites I carry. I may say this or that needs to improve, or that kind of thing - but it's pointless to try to market a room you're trashing. "Here you go Mr. Customer, it tastes like shit but eat it anyway." Of course he isn't going to eat it, so why try to sell him something that tastes like shit to begin with? If the room is bad enough that I feel I need to trash it, I don't market it. In fact, on one of my sites I actually explain that I don't offer any poker rooms that don't meet a particular criteria.
Isn't that the important thing anyway? If you're offering a room that is that bad....why are you offering it? Drop those losers and find a better replacement. Just my opinion.
TheDonk
|