Thread: Alexa
View Single Post
  #6  
Old 06-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Jeremy Jeremy is offline
PAW Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,492
Send a message via MSN to Jeremy Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Send a message via Skype™ to Jeremy
Default

In regards to Alexa ranking, it can be useful to see if a site has "decent" traffic, but overall I have found it not to add much value. It can be easily manipulated both intentionally and non-intentionally.

For example when I started using Firefox on all my computers versus IE, I stopped using the Alexa toolbar. The Alexa ranking of PAW went up quite a bit, while the actual raw traffic to the site also increased. This was because I visit PAW probably more per day than anyone else. And now none of my visits are being monitored anymore by Alexa.

This just goes to show how easily it can be manipulated even by just one person who uses the Alexa toolbar.

I would say for the average webmaster, Alexa is nothing more than an "entertainment tool"
__________________
My two favorite quotes:

"There's a million ways to make a million dollars, you only have to find one."

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
Reply With Quote