Thread: Is poker a fad?
View Single Post
  #8  
Old 07-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Dave Dave is offline
Members
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 487
Default

My dad taught my brothers and I how to play poker when I was 10.

When I was 15, in 1977, I came across a copy of "Gambling Times" magazine at the local news stand and became fascinated with the WSOP and it's cast of larger than life characters like, Doyle "Texas Dolly" Brunson, Johnny Moss "The Grand Old Man of Poker", Stuey "The Kid" Ungar, Jack "Treetop" Straus and Bobbie "The Owl" Baldwin to name just a few. I studied David Sklansky's poker strategy articles and was soon fleecing my high-school chums of their pocket money.

The World Series of Poker has been a huge annual event for millions of poker fans world wide for decades, but we had to read about it in magazines and catch glimpes of it on "Wide World of Sports" , poker isn't some new fad.

Reality show obsessed cable television and the internet have just turned tournament poker into a new spectator sport, thanks to lipstick cams and celebrity commentators.

I started playing online as soon as Planet Poker opened their doors in 99 and signed up at Party Poker a couple of years later.

I don't know if I used an affiliate link when I opened those accounts, but if I did they've mades thousands of dollars from me. Literally thousands. I'm the kind of player you want as a sign up.

Sure most of the old time players like myself already have accounts at most of the major online poker rooms but new, life long winning players are being introduced to the game everyday. These are the people you need to target as a poker affiliate.

Giving $50 free to someone who has seen poker on tv and thinks it's cool, so you can get $75 CPA and pocket $25 profit is laughable.

If you build a player base of life-long, winning poker fans you'll see the money roll in every month for many, many years to come.

How do you do this?

1. Build a website that teachs people how to become a winning player, even if it's just at low limit. Winners keep playing and generating rake.

2. Team up with a winning player you know and become business partners. He or she has the contacts and you can handle the marketing strategy. The possibilities are endless if you use your imagination and work hard at it.

Is poker just a fad?

For millions of people, yes, but for millions of others it's a life-long passion.
Reply With Quote